HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
To be honest, it’s not the same as the others and the quality is higher. So yeah!
I used to buy lots of LUSH product. Then this, and now I can't:

https://www.lush.ca/en/article_ethic...pipelines.html

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowgirl View Post

Not shopping at a store because they care about the environment? LUSH is amazing.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 2:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowgirl View Post

Weird flex, but OK.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Not shopping at a store because they care about the environment? LUSH is amazing.
I think she is not shopping at stores because they are supporting policies that destroy our economy. They appear to have no regard for the thousands of people, including government workers (taxes and royalties) and Evraz steel workers who rely on the pipeline and oil and gas industries. If you have a connection to someone whose job relies on these industries or if receive government support funded by oil and gas revenues, I can understand why you would not support this company.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 4:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I think she is not shopping at stores because they are supporting policies that destroy our economy. They appear to have no regard for the thousands of people, including government workers (taxes and royalties) and Evraz steel workers who rely on the pipeline and oil and gas industries. If you have a connection to someone whose job relies on these industries or if receive government support funded by oil and gas revenues, I can understand why you would not support this company.
Aka selling out your values for short-term economic gain. I remember when that was considered a cowardly act. Its also the same argument the southern US had when slavery was an issue with the rest of America (and the world). Climate change today affects even more people and its only going to get worse for future generations if we don't make the appropriate sacrifices today.

Last edited by djforsberg; Oct 4, 2019 at 5:08 PM.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Aka selling out your values for short-term economic gain. I remember when that was considered a cowardly act. Its also the same argument the southern US had when slavery was an issue with the rest of America (and the world). Climate change today affects even more people and its only going to get worse for future generations if we don't make the appropriate sacrifices today.
Steelmaking and oil and gas production = slavery. OK

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 5:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Steelmaking and oil and gas production = slavery. OK
What part of the analogy did you miss? The part where we are ignoring our moral obligations to our future generations for short-term economic gains? How about the part where the decisions we make now affects future generations who will have no choice but to live with those decisions?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
What part of the analogy did you miss? The part where we are ignoring our moral obligations to our future generations for short-term economic gains? How about the part where the decisions we make now affects future generations who will have no choice but to live with those decisions?
It is far more immoral to destroy our economy and government revenues with the resulting harm to regular citizens - especially the poor and low skilled who can't afford Teslas and solar panels or get jobs in IT. Yes we should do more to cut emissions, but destroying our most productive and highly taxed industries will only mean that oil and gas is supplied by producers in the U.S. and OPEC instead of by Canadian oil and gas.

This is a retail thread so I will not be replying further on this.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 7:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Quote:
It is far more immoral to destroy our economy and government revenues with the resulting harm to regular citizens - especially the poor and low skilled who can't afford Teslas and solar panels or get jobs in IT. Yes we should do more to cut emissions, but destroying our most productive and highly taxed industries will only mean that oil and gas is supplied by producers in the U.S. and OPEC instead of by Canadian oil and gas.

This is a retail thread so I will not be replying further on this.
You have proven more than once that you do not want to discuss climate change in good faith and/or have a poor understanding of the significance of it so I would agree that you should not be replying further to this.

Keep in mind I personally am not against pipelines to support current oil production output in a safe and efficient manner. It is possible to both want to support our economy and our environment, as well as supporting companies that want to see oil production significantly reduced. This "you're either with us or against us" mentality that many have in this province is idiotic.

Last edited by djforsberg; Oct 4, 2019 at 10:30 PM.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 12:19 AM

Just reminds me how the Riders had to apologize for being associated with vegan burgers because it was somehow un-Saskatchewanian even though vegan burgers are made with Saskatchewan peas and lentils and heavily owe their develop to research at the University of Saskatchewan. People get nationalistic over silly things. Meat is somehow more important than grains because meat is seen as a "tougher" or more "western" product.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 2:25 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
Just reminds me how the Riders had to apologize for being associated with vegan burgers because it was somehow un-Saskatchewanian even though vegan burgers are made with Saskatchewan peas and lentils and heavily owe their develop to research at the University of Saskatchewan. People get nationalistic over silly things. Meat is somehow more important than grains because meat is seen as a "tougher" or more "western" product.
That whole things was the definition of idiotic. The farmers and oil workers in this province who act like this couldn’t be bigger snowflakes. I’m a season ticket holder and complained to the Riders about how ridiculous this whole thing was and they sent me their template response they would send to the snowflake farmers! Are you kidding me!? Anyways...

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 4:23 AM

In other news...

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 3:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0myte View Post
In other news...

Yikes. I guess they aren’t coming back next spring.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0myte View Post
In other news...
Which location was that?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2019, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
Which location was that?
East

Old Posted Oct 6, 2019, 6:39 PM

Both stores were owned by the same people and their website is down.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2019, 8:57 PM

Peter Charles, who owned and managed WP in its various forms, passed away on May 24, 2019. Perhaps this may have something to do with the business closing.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
Peter Charles, who owned and managed WP in its various forms, passed away on May 24, 2019. Perhaps this may have something to do with the business closing.
Wow, I hadn't heard he passed away. I thought they had sold it a year or so ago though.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 1:38 PM

Re: My Lush Post

I am not keen to support a business that uses the very products in their processes that they say we should ban. They are hypocritical. I believe we must find better way to protect and preserve our environment, but I don't support hyperbole on either side. It accomplishes nothing. BAN PIPELINES!!! Then they walk away, use the petroleum products and think they've made a difference. JMHO

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
Wow, I hadn't heard he passed away. I thought they had sold it a year or so ago though.
Yes, he had sold it. I remember when they (he and his partner, whose name escapes me right now) first started as a small outdoor garden centre in the Whitmore Park Shopping Centre parking lot. Then they went indoors in that mall, then moved to their two bigger locations.

I was in the south Rae store about a month ago and it was very quiet in there. Lovely store, but expensive and perhaps a victim of the recent economic downturn, on-line shopping, and location.

Too bad

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan