HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Closed Thread

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 6:43 PM

I believe Dubai has next to no homelessness mostly cause it's 90% non-nationals and if you become homeless they literally kick you out.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Pretty much every City has homelessness.
Not if you close your eyes

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 6:47 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
I believe Dubai has next to no homelessness mostly cause it's 90% non-nationals and if you become homeless they literally kick you out.
Yes, we were there a few years back. Kind of weird seeing no homeless. You are right, they do not allow homeless. Options for no job - you can either become a low paid construction slave or you are out.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Well yes, if you completely disregard the human rights of homeless people I guess it is possible to eliminate that issue...

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 1:19 AM

Japan generally seemed to have little to no panhandling or homeless. Maybe they just hide them outside the tourist areas.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverUnder View Post
Japan generally seemed to have little to no panhandling or homeless. Maybe they just hide them outside the tourist areas.
I remember seeing a homeless camps around Ueno Park in Tokyo. I suspect there is no small amount of shame and stigma attached to homelessness there which causes Japanese people in that situation to lie low, and to stay somewhat out of sight.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 2:23 AM

I'd bet even per capita, Vancouver has a much bigger homeless issue than us, and way more drugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Revitalization was a major selling point at the time. Obviously that isn't the WRHA's mandate, but the rhetoric coming from the provincial government played that angle up. If it had only been about services to the local community, a much smaller facility (without offices and the huge parkade) would have sufficed.
The WRHA did kind of make it their mandate though – they were planning to include ground floor CRUs that likely would have kept some of the momentum going. Then in classing Winnipeg fashion, they dropped them at the final hour. It's bad when the government allows private corps to do it, even worse when they do it themselves.

What happened on north Main, with most of the blame going to CV, is exactly what has happened anytime a megaproject has been thought to be the end-all of a problem (look at Portage Place). What was making the Main Street revitalization happen organically was the availability of small, cheap, pedestrian-friendly storefronts. Then the WRHA and United Way went and wiped all that out, replacing it with suburban fortresses.

United Way and WRHA actually made the conditions worse for the most vulnerable people they claim to be serving. If they didn't come and put all progress to a halt, we may have a completely different north Main now, one that gives opportunity to many of the less fortunate that live around there, in shelters or on the street.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 1:54 PM

Medicine hat has technically eliminated homelessness, they have a commitment that no one spends more than 10 days in emergency shelter before they will be provided housing. Even then they got the odd person that likes to hang out in the street because they're used to it or perceive it as greater freedom than formal living arrangements or whatever. It's a small city so this is more doable, larger centres like Vancouver that have many transient residents coming and going can't replicate this very easily. Winnipeg has a lot of people from the North in those kinds of situations.

Medicine Hat is the first and only city in Canada to achieve this and I don't think it's as easy for large cities so not sure where headhorse is talking about. Anywhere with a warmer climate has a lot more visible homelessness than we do. Even just last month I was in Hamilton and was shocked how many people were full on camping in sleeping bags on downtown benches. We have lots of panhandlers in Winnipeg but we don't usually have to step over guys in sleeping bags on the sidewalk to get to work in the morning. Europe tends to do a better job taking care of people but there's vitrually nowhere on earth without homelessness. Even if we can provide housing for everyone in society there will be some "frictional" homelessness when people's housing arrangements fall through or they get evicted for some reason and need to transition to something else, also kids who run away from home and live off the grid for a while, etc.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post
Medicine hat has technically eliminated homelessness, they have a commitment that no one spends more than 10 days in emergency shelter before they will be provided housing. Even then they got the odd person that likes to hang out in the street because they're used to it or perceive it as greater freedom than formal living arrangements or whatever. It's a small city so this is more doable, larger centres like Vancouver that have many transient residents coming and going can't replicate this very easily. Winnipeg has a lot of people from the North in those kinds of situations.

Medicine Hat is the first and only city in Canada to achieve this and I don't think it's as easy for large cities so not sure where headhorse is talking about. Anywhere with a warmer climate has a lot more visible homelessness than we do. Even just last month I was in Hamilton and was shocked how many people were full on camping in sleeping bags on downtown benches. We have lots of panhandlers in Winnipeg but we don't usually have to step over guys in sleeping bags on the sidewalk to get to work in the morning. Europe tends to do a better job taking care of people but there's vitrually nowhere on earth without homelessness. Even if we can provide housing for everyone in society there will be some "frictional" homelessness when people's housing arrangements fall through or they get evicted for some reason and need to transition to something else, also kids who run away from home and live off the grid for a while, etc.
Do you hear anything these days about the success of Medicine Hat's homeless program?

IF it worked, similar strategies would have sweeped the nation.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 3:58 PM

St. Regis is back on the market...

http://www.centreventure.com/news/jo...um-in-the-shed

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcityfan View Post
I'm glad they didn't let those flim flam men from Fortress demolish the hotel. I hope some sort of redevelopment project can take off there.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I'm glad they didn't let those flim flam men from Fortress demolish the hotel. I hope some sort of redevelopment project can take off there.
Exactly. Winnipeg might have been left with a hole in the ground like Regina has been stuck with. It's too bad Sky City was a bust, but I'm glad the city is moving forward with the site.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcityfan View Post
Pretty damn embarassing that the downtown development corporation can't get any of the streets labelled correctly.

Garry is Graham, Graham is St. Mary's. There's 2 Main Streets and no Fort! Yikes.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Pretty damn embarassing that the downtown development corporation can't get any of the streets labelled correctly.

Garry is Graham, Graham is St. Mary's. There's 2 Main Streets and no Fort! Yikes.
Someone has done a poor copy and paste job, they have the address as 285 Princess:

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 10:12 PM

Like did they outsource this to someone in Vancouver? No one proofread it? That's brutal.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 2:33 PM

Quote:
I think you get jailed. It's illegal to have to debt there. Saw a report years back about how the place is filled with abandon rooms & homes. Footage showed how the airport has abandoned lambos, porsches and other vehicles as people flee.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 3:07 PM

Great news about St. Regis. Hopefully we have seen the last of SkyDreamCity.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 3:35 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Great news about St. Regis. Hopefully we have seen the last of SkyDreamCity.
Unless its news that some serious developer has taken it over and shovels are in the ground tomorrow.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 4:29 PM

CentreVenture everybody. Wonderful job lol

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 6:15 PM

I can't remember if anything was mentioned here, but is work underway on the Medical Arts Building residential conversion yet? I noticed there are a couple of windows punched out on the upper floors of the north side of the building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan