HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Capital Pointe in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Regina Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
The building is owned by our current Lieutenant Governor and she probably has no reason to sell. But everything's for sale with the right incentive.
I hope that doesn't happen. But if it does I'd like to see 2 conditions for building:

1. Preservation of the facades of the buildings they are replacing.
2. They have to do something about that parkade of theirs that is a blight on that whole block.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 6:12 AM

Has there been any mention or announcement regarding who the hotel partner is for Capital Pointe? Hilton Garden Inn was mentioned in drawings but there isn't a mention on the website of if it is solidified nor has there been any media announcement for a long time.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 2:31 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanregina View Post
I hope that doesn't happen. But if it does I'd like to see 2 conditions for building:

1. Preservation of the facades of the buildings they are replacing.
2. They have to do something about that parkade of theirs that is a blight on that whole block.
Agreed with the parkade on Cornwall Street. Cornwall Street should be so much more than what it is given it's a prime connector from Victoria Park to the Cornwall Centre.

I'm hopeful Tower 4 doesn't go there. The building stock facing the park is a great scale and should be able to house the restaurants we want to face the park there. I would like to see Tower 4 go mid block on Cornwall Street. We've already burned most of the solar envelope for the pedestrian mall already and we'd be able to improve the parkade and get a bit of life during the day on Cornwall Street.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Agreed with the parkade on Cornwall Street. Cornwall Street should be so much more than what it is given it's a prime connector from Victoria Park to the Cornwall Centre.

I'm hopeful Tower 4 doesn't go there. The building stock facing the park is a great scale and should be able to house the restaurants we want to face the park there. I would like to see Tower 4 go mid block on Cornwall Street. We've already burned most of the solar envelope for the pedestrian mall already and we'd be able to improve the parkade and get a bit of life during the day on Cornwall Street.
The problem is that Harvard already owns 3 out of the 4 buildings on that site. So I think it's safe to say that it is definitely Harvard's intention to put the next tower there.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post

I recall that Paul Hill stated in the media that this would be the site of Tower 4. This tells me they have tied up the entire site, regardless of who has title at present.

Regarding the parkade on Cornwall Street, it is probably beyond its projected life span, except for the north end which is only about 23 years old. The rest has to be over 50 years old. I would expect it to be replaced at the same time as any redevelopment of 12th and Cornwall. Hopefully that would mean adherence to the downtown plan criteria - i.e. street level retail and disguised parking above.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I recall that Paul Hill stated in the media that this would be the site of Tower 4. This tells me they have tied up the entire site, regardless of who has title at present.

Regarding the parkade on Cornwall Street, it is probably beyond its projected life span, except for the north end which is only about 23 years old. The rest has to be over 50 years old. I would expect it to be replaced at the same time as any redevelopment of 12th and Cornwall. Hopefully that would mean adherence to the downtown plan criteria - i.e. street level retail and disguised parking above.
That's true, I have heard that the Solomon site was optioned.

That said, I find it unlikely that they would replace the parkade, regardless of age. It would require eliminating like 40% of Harvard's parking for 1+ years. I don't see that happening.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 4:25 PM

Quote:
That's true, I have heard that the Solomon site was optioned.

That said, I find it unlikely that they would replace the parkade, regardless of age. It would require eliminating like 40% of Harvard's parking for 1+ years. I don't see that happening.
I expect it is a huge cash cow for them, but I can't see it lasting another 15 years, even though they are spending continuously on maintenance to extend its life.

What happens with parkades is that water and road salt infiltrate through cracks in the deck. This eventually corrodes the rebar and weakens the structure. They have been resealing the decks but it is impossible to stop all infiltration.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 4:45 PM
Hmm....

What I would love, though it is completely unlikely to happen would be for them to:

1. Take out the parkade + buildings (though saving some façade would be amazing)...

2. Dig down for 3-4 floors of underground parkade along the full length.

3. Have the street level + a number of floors above (2-3?) as a downtown theatre; the site is large enough for a decent-sized complex).

4. Have the tower above that (not necessarily, but possibly at the corner of Cornwall and 12th).

5. And fjnally... have a restaurant or two on the 12th ave side...

Dare to (unrealistically) dream...

This is probably better-suited to the Regina thread...

Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I expect it is a huge cash cow for them, but I can't see it lasting another 15 years, even though they are spending continuously on maintenance to extend its life.

What happens with parkades is that water and road salt infiltrate through cracks in the deck. This eventually corrodes the rebar and weakens the structure. They have been resealing the decks but it is impossible to stop all infiltration.
My guess is that they would attempt to replace is part by part, rather than starting again. Plus it should be remembered that parkades are basically banned by city council now. So keeping the existing structure might be beneficial. That said, it's Harvard so they can probably do as they please.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 2:02 AM

Quote:
My guess is that they would attempt to replace is part by part, rather than starting again. Plus it should be remembered that parkades are basically banned by city council now. So keeping the existing structure might be beneficial. That said, it's Harvard so they can probably do as they please.
They aren't banned. They just have to have an active street front and be relatively nice to look at.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanregina View Post
They aren't banned. They just have to have an active street front and be relatively nice to look at.
No, they're effectively banned. They basically won't allow podium style parking like you see at the Avord, NCO and Grenfell buildings.

If you don't believe me, try taking a new parkade downtown to planning commission. It's not going to happen unless you have the right connection or you're building residential.

Last edited by BrutallyDishonest2; Jan 13, 2016 at 3:18 AM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutterp View Post
And a new render they included in the email.

Nice photo

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 3:20 AM

Does Capital Pointe have ground floor retail/restaurant space in the plans?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnicalRecession View Post
I don't see much difference from the previous renders posted. Not as nice as the original renders though.

A render

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 3:11 PM

I am going to ask Cyro to move all this stuff to Regina I Remember When Thread. It is pretty unrelated to CP.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2016, 1:09 AM

I agree. The thread is begginning to go off-topic. Posts moved to:

Regina's "I remember when" thread

Hopefully this thread can focus on the Capital Pointe project now in progress.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2016, 1:23 AM

A closer look of the work so far. Decently active site when I randomly checked the webcam this week. Also looks like they also got another truck load of steel on site.

Source: https://twitter.com/Capital_Pointe/s...10503294455809

Old Posted Jan 16, 2016, 4:30 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike328 View Post

A closer look of the work so far. Decently active site when I randomly checked the webcam this week. Also looks like they also got another truck load of steel on site.

Source: https://twitter.com/Capital_Pointe/s...10503294455809
Yup, they announced on Twitter that they got more steel.

This tweet

Old Posted Jan 16, 2016, 11:46 PM

Well, if they build a twin to the north (and 5-6 storeys taller), they'd look pretty sharp!!!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2016, 6:28 PM

What needs to be done to the I-beams before they are put in the ground? I've seen on the webcam that the service trucks have been out there working on the beams, but was never sure what they were doing. Can anyone clarify?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan