HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 6:31 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
$48.50? Isn’t the bridge toll only $45.55 by cash? Did they raise the price?
There is an automatic price rise every year, which is a certain percentage of the rate of inflation. I can't recall what the percentage is though.........

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 9:44 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://www.ngnews.ca/news/local/twi...n-2020-401995/
Land-clearing has been underway since November 2019.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 3:43 PM

I tried to update this 10 year old highway map showing currently twinned sections (including Highway 103 section opening this spring between Tantallon and Ingramport)

Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 4:19 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Just curious, any point in joining Highway 101 and Highway 103 in Yarmouth in the future?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 9:27 PM

Has anyone heard or seen any announcements as to whether any work will be done on twinning NB highway towards Bouctouche this year?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 5:32 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Work will be restart on dividing Route 11 north to the Little Bouctouche River this year, but with the exception of the bridges required to traverse the Shediac & Cocagne Rivers. The road will narrow to two lanes (non divided) at both river crossings.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 5:34 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

NB government press release:

Quote:
Company selected to conduct feasibility study for Chignecto Isthmus project
29 January 2020

SACKVILLE (GNB) – The provincial government has selected Wood Environment & Infrastructure Solutions, a Division of Wood Canada Ltd., as the successful proponent to conduct a feasibility study for the Chignecto Isthmus project.

The study will determine recommendations for protecting the transportation corridor within the isthmus from the impact of climate change.

“This is a crucial trade corridor between New Brunswick and Nova Scotia that supports the economies in both provinces,” said Transportation and Infrastructure Minister Bill Oliver. “This feasibility study will allow all parties to work together and find a solution to ensure this link remains in place.”

The isthmus is the sole land bridge connecting the two provinces and carries an estimated $50 million per day, or $20 billion annually, of trade. Climate change, specifically rising sea levels and storm surges, pose a risk to critical infrastructure within the isthmus.

The project is being cost-shared by the two provincial governments and the federal government through its National Trade Corridors Fund.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 6:19 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Work will be restart on dividing Route 11 north to the Little Bouctouche River this year, but with the exception of the bridges required to traverse the Shediac & Cocagne Rivers. The road will narrow to two lanes (non divided) at both river crossings.
This is a recipe for reckless passing unfortunately...
Quote:
NB government press release:
Time to build EDR (emergency detour route)/service road between Aulac and Amhurst so the speed limit on N.S.-104 can be brought up from 100 to 110 km/h.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 8:24 PM

Quote:

Yes I have found this information.

Let me rephrase my question because I am confused. I am not trying to be difficult, I am trying to understand. Originally there was a large Fed/prov agreement spread over 4 years(I think). Year 1 the roadbed was constructed north of Shediac Bridge and north of the Cocagne River. Nothing was done last summer. So, when nothing was completed was the original contract voided and a new funding package necessary for the revised work? Or is the work being completed under the old agreement?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 10:07 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

When the Higgs government came into power and cancelled this project, this abrogated the federal/provincial cost sharing agreement. The federal contribution to this project was therefore lost.

Higgs then partially restarted this project last year (sans the bridges), and although I believe he tried to get some new federal funding towards the reduced project, I don't think he was successful.

Even if the province is going it alone to complete the roadway (except the bridges), this may still be cheaper than the original provincial contribution. The most expensive part of this project (by far) was the two bridges. In addition, all land along the right of way has already been cleared, and the roadbed partially constructed. It wouldn't be that expensive to finish things up.

It was stupid of Higgs to cancel this project so rashly when he assumed office. The province now has a balanced budget, and I don't think the overall cost of this project would have changed that. It will be difficult getting a federal contribution in the future to eventually twin those two bridges........

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 11:02 PM

Quote:

When the Higgs government came into power and cancelled this project, this abrogated the federal/provincial cost sharing agreement. The federal contribution to this project was therefore lost.

Higgs then partially restarted this project last year (sans the bridges), and although I believe he tried to get some new federal funding towards the reduced project, I don't think he was successful.

Even if the province is going it alone to complete the roadway (except the bridges), this may still be cheaper than the original provincial contribution. The most expensive part of this project (by far) was the two bridges. In addition, all land along the right of way has already been cleared, and the roadbed partially constructed. It wouldn't be that expensive to finish things up.

It was stupid of Higgs to cancel this project so rashly when he assumed office. The province now has a balanced budget, and I don't think the overall cost of this project would have changed that. It will be difficult getting a federal contribution in the future to eventually twin those two bridges........
Thank you, I sort of figured this was the answer, I just could not find
it anywhere. I agree Higgs should have never cancelled this project. Since he did, he is probably smart to start up this year before the finished roadbed north of Cocagne gets worse.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 12:23 AM

Regarding Highway 11, they were already doing some work last week in the section near Shediac Bridge-Grande Digue, I did a double take when I saw that. Higgs got a cold shower last fall, he will have to work with the Feds one way or another. I expect lots of work being done on this in 2020. I also don't think that the money was all gone and returned like some seem to assume...
Dominic LeBlanc wanted this to be done and it will be done, at least partially.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 2:57 AM

Dominic wanted it done by his friend, colleague and semi neighbour Brian Gallant. I'm not so sure he is as keen about it getting done by Blaine Higgs. But I'm just taking a guess here.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 9:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
Regarding Highway 11, they were already doing some work last week in the section near Shediac Bridge-Grande Digue, I did a double take when I saw that. Higgs got a cold shower last fall, he will have to work with the Feds one way or another. I expect lots of work being done on this in 2020. I also don't think that the money was all gone and returned like some seem to assume...
Interesting, normally roadwork is down after a tender contract is awarded. I am not aware tenders were awarded.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
Interesting, normally roadwork is down after a tender contract is awarded. I was not aware ANY new tenders were awarded. (I was checking the NB DOT website now and then )

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 1:38 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
Interesting, normally roadwork is down after a tender contract is awarded. I was not aware ANY new tenders were awarded. (I was checking the NB DOT website now and then )
Do they even update... Bref there aren’t even any up-to-date AADT figures. (Then, neither does MTO anymore - most recent ones were from 2016...)

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 2:25 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Do they even update... Bref there aren’t even any up-to-date AADT figures. (Then, neither does MTO anymore - most recent ones were from 2016...)
Last AADT figures for NB i've seen are from years and years ago. Weird how the provincial government doesn't release these publicly and then conveniently expands highways in ridings that they routinely win.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 2:36 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Last AADT figures for NB i've seen are from years and years ago. Weird how the provincial government doesn't release these publicly and then conveniently expands highways in ridings that they routinely win.
Legend has it that N.B.-1 was done like that. Oh yea, any area along N.B.-7 that voted NBPC? Or are there simply no riding along this route because it runs through the middle of nowhere?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 2:47 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Legend has it that N.B.-1 was done like that. Oh yea, any area along N.B.-7 that voted NBPC? Or are there simply no riding along this route because it runs through the middle of nowhere?
There's no real riding for most of Route 7 because it runs through CFB Gagetown. The Oromocto riding technically covers the area but that's merely a placeholder and could be swapped out with any adjacent riding as the coverage area has a population of 0. One could argue that Saint John would benefit most from a doubled Route 7 but it is different than most conventional highways in that nobody really lives along it and cannot live along it as long as the CFB is in operation.

It would be neat to see the CFB pushed back to allow for general development along Route 7 but it's not really that long of a drive as it is.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 4:20 PM

Admittedly it is my gut feel; but to me it feels like Route 7 should be fully twinned. Two major (in the Maritime sense) cities that are that close together and DON'T have a direct fully highway route linking them together doesn't seem right. Were the route in place I do expect it would quickly grow teh traffic numbers to really make it worthwhile if it wasn't close already.

That said, if it was twinned for the non-CFB parts first, then the Base sections would probably be done fairly quick after that. The right of way and the hard parts are mostly done on the base lands already, so it's just a matter of putting down the roadbed and the road itself and it's basically done; there aren't really any exits or bridges needed I don't think.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces