HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 7:16 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

That's the "Harper Building" proposal, which has gone through several iterations over the last several years, with nothing ever coming to fruition. I suppose it could be that, but there are lots of other potential properties available for development in the east end. Downing Street counts as "east end" as far as I'm concerned. Maybe something will happen there........

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 7:40 PM

The City of Moncton has to complete phase II of the Downing Street project before anything ever gets built there....don't they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

That's the "Harper Building" proposal, which has gone through several iterations over the last several years, with nothing ever coming to fruition. I suppose it could be that, but there are lots of other potential properties available for development in the east end. Downing Street counts as "east end" as far as I'm concerned. Maybe something will happen there........

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 7:55 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I imagine development could occur concurrently, but you're right in the sense that phase three can't progress without phase two.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacdougall View Post
The City of Moncton has to complete phase II of the Downing Street project before anything ever gets built there....don't they?
I'm pretty sure the city was waiting on a development proposal before going ahead with the later phases of the Downing street development.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 9:35 PM

Quote last September from Jim Dixon of Ashford Group after they purchased the Assomption land: "Moncton grows at a certain pace, so this is a long-term, go slow, find good projects — a project next year and then the year after" Dixon said.
Since they are demolishing the old Paramount Theater building, I was thinking that their first project would be something there.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 2:00 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Word just in that Piatto Pizzeria & Enoteca on Main Street is closing after six years in operation.

This is unfortunate. One wonders if the opening of the new Pomodori Pizzeria on St George figured into their decision making process.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Word just in that Piatto Pizzeria & Enoteca on Main Street is closing after six years in operation.

This is unfortunate. One wonders if the opening of the new Pomodori Pizzeria on St George figured into their decision making process.
Kinda not surprised to hear Piatto closing. Last time I was there a couple of years ago, the pizza quality took a down turn and I never returned. And I had already gone there several times before and loved it, despite the expensive price tag.

I also noticed during the past couple of years, the store front was uninviting. Meaning, the window blinds were always closed, and it always appeared like they were always closed. Never heard any advertising or friends even mentioning going there for pizza.

As for Pomodori, online menu looks great. Some cheap pricing on a lot of pizza and some pricey. $6 for a one litre Montelier, seriously Pomodori, give me a break. You can buy 1 lt Montelier at Sobeys for $1.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 12:40 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

They were interviewing John Wishart, CEO of the Greater Moncton Chamber of Commerce on CBC Radio this morning.

Wishart mentioned there would likely be development near the corner of King & Main this year, echoing a similar comment made by Greg Turner last week. One wonders if this has to do with the Harper Building proposal.

Wishart also stated that Ashford will be proceeding with a project at the former Cosmopolitan site downtown this year as well. He said he was not privy to exact plans, but expected a mixed use development of some kind.

Two other notes:

- The building containing Navigator's Pub has been sold to a PEI company.
- The building containing the downtown location of the Blue Olive is for sale. There are some rumours out there that this location of the Blue Olive is in difficulty and might potentially close.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 2:09 PM

UPDATE for Mexi's building

Are there any updates on the Mexi's building downtown? I believe Adelin Properties partnered with another developer to begin renos to this building.

Quote:
They were interviewing John Wishart, CEO of the Greater Moncton Chamber of Commerce on CBC Radio this morning.

Wishart mentioned there would likely be development near the corner of King & Main this year, echoing a similar comment made by Greg Turner last week. One wonders if this has to do with the Harper Building proposal.

Wishart also stated that Ashford will be proceeding with a project at the former Cosmopolitan site downtown this year as well. He said he was not privy to exact plans, but expected a mixed use development of some kind.

Two other notes:

- The building containing the downtown location of the Blue Olive is for sale. There are some rumours out there that this location of the Blue Olive is in difficulty and might potentially close.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 2:25 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacdougall View Post
Are there any updates on the Mexi's building downtown? I believe Adelin Properties partnered with another developer to begin renos to this building.
Nothing that I am privy to, but I have no doubts that restoration of this building will progress in due course. It has been purchased by committed local developers with an interest in rejuvenating the downtown. Previously the Higgins Block was under the control of an absentee owner from Halifax who didn't give a damn.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 4:59 PM

Quote:

Two other notes:

The person who bought Nav's is the owner of 2nd floor nightclub.

The 2 businesses are being combined and the owner already posted on facebook that cover charge will be 10$ to get in on weekends. Within about 1 hour there were roughly 60 negative replies seeing as Nav's has always been a place without cover. The owner deleted all of the negative feedback and reposted. He's basically sacrificing customers in his pub to benefit the club. I'll be honest..I don't have much positive to say about this one. The late night bar business in Moncton has always struggled to attract quality ownership. Probably due to it being even riskier than places who offer food.

The furnace room is about to get even busier.

This whole combined bar/nightclub/pub has been tried and failed so many times in 20 years its amazing how many more owners will try it again. You'd think they'd look at the places in Moncton that are busy nightly and take some advice. Tire Shack, Cavok, 3rd glass, Pumphouse, Furnace Room, Old Triangle and even Chris Rock. They focus on doing 1 or 2 things well to bring out certain customers vs trying to throw everything at the wall hoping it works.

The crowd that is willing to go out on weekends now wants unique experiences and they are more than willing to pay for it.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 6:47 PM

Quote:

Two other notes:

Good news with Ashford, although I thought it would be the old Paramount Theater building. I read a while ago that they were going to demolish it soon. So I thought we would see a project there. Of course plans can change. A nice high end re-development of the Cosmo building would be great for the downtown core.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 7:51 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
Good news with Ashford, although I thought it would be the old Paramount Theater building. I read a while ago that they were going to demolish it soon. So I thought we would see a project there. Of course plans can change. A nice high end re-development of the Cosmo building would be great for the downtown core.
Sorry, my bad, I meant the old Paramount.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Hopefully something comes of the Cosmo building soon. Other than when the market is running on saturdays that whole area seems like a dead mans land on the weekends. An giant empty parking lot, empty court building and mostly empty assumption building. Would love to see some residential here.

Once they get the grid system in place they will be in a better position to fill in the gap between main st and the riverfront park.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
Hopefully something comes of the Cosmo building soon. Other than when the market is running on saturdays that whole area seems like a dead mans land on the weekends. An giant empty parking lot, empty court building and mostly empty assumption building. Would love to see some residential here.

Once they get the grid system in place they will be in a better position to fill in the gap between main st and the riverfront park.
If you read the interview on CBC with Ashford's Jim Dixon, I don't think we'll see two downtown projects happening at the same time. The old Paramount makes the most sense as their first project. Honestly, I find it to be a real eye sore as it is now. A new build right in the heart of downtown will be a major improvement. I wouldn't be surprised to see ground floor commercial and residential above. Hopefully it will be taller than 2 floors.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 1:50 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

A couple of interesting new additions to the downtown City Market opening up in the next several weeks.

Pasta House
https://www.facebook.com/pastahouse2020/

Birkinshaw's Tea Room & Coffee House
https://www.facebook.com/Birkinshaws/

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
The person who bought Nav's is the owner of 2nd floor nightclub.

The 2 businesses are being combined and the owner already posted on facebook that cover charge will be 10$ to get in on weekends. Within about 1 hour there were roughly 60 negative replies seeing as Nav's has always been a place without cover. The owner deleted all of the negative feedback and reposted. He's basically sacrificing customers in his pub to benefit the club. I'll be honest..I don't have much positive to say about this one. The late night bar business in Moncton has always struggled to attract quality ownership. Probably due to it being even riskier than places who offer food.

The furnace room is about to get even busier.

This whole combined bar/nightclub/pub has been tried and failed so many times in 20 years its amazing how many more owners will try it again. You'd think they'd look at the places in Moncton that are busy nightly and take some advice. Tire Shack, Cavok, 3rd glass, Pumphouse, Furnace Room, Old Triangle and even Chris Rock. They focus on doing 1 or 2 things well to bring out certain customers vs trying to throw everything at the wall hoping it works.

The crowd that is willing to go out on weekends now wants unique experiences and they are more than willing to pay for it.
I agree, this is a bad move. The loyalty of the Nav's patrons will be tested with this as now they have to pay $10 to get into a place that has always had no cover, even if they have no intent on going to the club, makes no sense. I've already seen, immediately after the change, lots of bad reviews/pr and airing of dirty laundry on Social Media. That is never a good sign.
The Old Triangle, for example, opened 14 years ago, never a cover, live entertainment, generally good atmosphere...it just works.

I don't see this working...but who knows.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Nothing that I am privy to, but I have no doubts that restoration of this building will progress in due course. It has been purchased by committed local developers with an interest in rejuvenating the downtown. Previously the Higgins Block was under the control of an absentee owner from Halifax who didn't give a damn.
I hope they ask/force Mexi's to change their façade because that "black" restaurant front is bloody ugly ...the original restaurant front was much more appealing and approachable, fit the style of the building much better too.

That building deserves a much needed facelift with a strong nod to it's heritage.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo1 View Post
I hope they ask/force Mexi's to change their façade because that "black" restaurant front is bloody ugly ...the original restaurant front was much more appealing and approachable, fit the style of the building much better too.

That building deserves a much needed facelift with a strong nod to it's heritage.
And Freshii is even worse. Never liked that painted white wooden facade. Be nice to see the whole ground floor get redone into something high quality that fits the style of the building.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 7:24 PM

Quote:
And Freshii is even worse. Never liked that painted white wooden facade. Be nice to see the whole ground floor get redone into something high quality that fits the style of the building.
Agreed, that's not much better.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces