HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Let's agree to disagree, I guess. Though I just find it utterly bizarre that you would say that people in Chicago are anything like the people in Toronto, because it's almost an objective truth that Chicagoans are nothing like people in Toronto (or Canada, for that matter--not that New Yorkers are like people in Toronto either). The vibe, the ethos, the background, the social history, you name it, they're just completely different.

I'm speaking in broad generalities, while you seem to be talking about anecdotal experiences. We're not on the same wavelength.
I agree. Anyone that has ever been to Chicago knows that Chitown has a massive black population and this group has had a major impact on its culture. There is also a massive Mexican American population in Chicago and there has been for a while. Together, African AMericans and Hispanics make up more than half of the entire cities population. Most Black folks in Toronto live in the suburbs and are of recent immigrant background. That is not the case in Chicago. How anyone can say the vibe of the city similar is beyond me. The similarities are the towers and the lake thats it, thats where it stops.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 7:32 PM

Okay people seem to be missing the point of statements from I and Isaido. I said if I'm choosing between NY and CHI, then I'll go with CHI over NY when comparing to TO. At no point was I inferring they are great matches.

As for the people, again, never said the people are close matches. Simply said due to their friendliness I experienced and the aggressiveness and rudeness of New Yorkers, I picked Chicago's people to be closer to TO's than New York's.

Isaido, for instance, said TO most closely mimics Melbourne, not "closely mimics", as he pointed out. Context is important here.

TO is like no other city anywhere as far as I'm concerned. The list of big cities that are close matches has to be pretty small, IMO. We can make loose comparisons, which is something I find interesting, but it's very hard to make close matches across a range of criteria.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 10:21 PM

I never thought of Edmonton as the hipster capital of Canada, ever. It certainly is more hipster than Calgary but I never thought of it as the most hipster place in Canada

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 10:30 PM
ARTchitecture

That would be because it isn't.

I don't know about Montreal, but I'd definitely put Montreal and Vancouver in a category of hipster unparalleled elsewhere in Canada, maybe the world (along with Portland).

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 10:36 PM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post

I don't know about Montreal, but I'd definitely put Montreal and Vancouver in a category of hipster unparalleled elsewhere in Canada, maybe the world (along with Portland).
Says a Calgarian. Believe me it is almost annoyingly so. Thank you U of A, MacEwan and NAIT for being a magnet for progressives of all stripes...

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 10:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:

It is well documented that: Portland, Austin and Nashville are the capital cities of hispsterville....in that order.....re: Hipster's R Us Magazine. But I always thought that EDM took first prize on the Canadian side. So great...let Montreal and Van take the title away...please!!!!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 12:19 AM

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 1:00 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Uh, no. Toronto was obviously hipster central in Canada (when hipster was a thing), but Portland, Brooklyn and London were the bywords for it.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 1:12 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Okay people seem to be missing the point of statements from I and Isaido. I said if I'm choosing between NY and CHI, then I'll go with CHI over NY when comparing to TO. At no point was I inferring they are great matches.
The point is that it's a meaningless choice because neither New York or Chicago resemble Toronto in any way, except perhaps for parts of Queens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
TO is like no other city anywhere as far as I'm concerned.
Now you're getting it.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 1:31 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Uh, no. Toronto was obviously hipster central in Canada (when hipster was a thing), but Portland, Brooklyn and London were the bywords for it.
American cities are much more specialized than Canadian cities. Toronto may have a lot of hipsters but there was always a wider mix of people who moved there. Portland tends to select very strongly for those who want a certain lifestyle. Others move to Seattle, San Francisco, LA, or any of the dozens of other US metros.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 5:05 AM
perhaps . . .

I would agree that what you say is a) the perception, and b) holds a degree of truth; but the majority of residents of Portland do not differ much from those of any other US metro, and even to Canada (Vancouver).

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 3:19 PM

Nice pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Agree. By the way, has a moniker yet been coined for the post-hipsters I’ve started seeing? Don’t know about the women, but the men seem to wear their hair in a very ‘50s look (pompadour/ rigid part) and moustaches seem to be jockeying with beards. The heavy grooming continues, of course, consistent with the ongoing feminization.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 3:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Agree. By the way, has a moniker yet been coined for the post-hipsters I’ve started seeing? Don’t know about the women, but the men seem to wear their hair in a very ‘50s look (pompadour/ rigid part) and moustaches seem to be jockeying with beards. The heavy grooming continues, of course, consistent with the ongoing feminization.
Wait a minute "Post Hipster's?" The "pompadour - rigid part" look - I thought was "Hipster," now you're telling us it's "Post?" Ugghhhh....the Hipster Darwinism paradigm!!!!!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLac View Post
Wait a minute "Post Hipster's?" The "pompadour - rigid part" look - I thought was "Hipster," now you're telling us it's "Post?" Ugghhhh....the Hipster Darwinism paradigm!!!!!
More subtle evolution than radical shift, perhaps. The avocado toast is, I fear, with us for a long time...

I might label the new look an “homage to Poindexter”, but that would probably date me.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 1:11 AM

Halifax

Source

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softee View Post
IMO the only U.S. city that "feels" anything like Toronto while walking through its neighbourhoods is NYC. Both are the #1 city of their country and are international financial, media and immigration hubs with a similar mix of people from all over the world and they both have lots of vibrant neighbourhood commercial strips with tightly packed shops and diverse, multi-cultural restaurant options that go above and beyond that of other cities in either country. They are the two most heavily used transit systems in the U.S. and Canada and are #1 and #2 for having the most hi-rise buildings in North America. NYC is just 3X the population and 2X the density of Toronto.
I don't think NYC and Toronto feel similar.

In terms of demographics, NYC is way more Hispanic & Black. Toronto is way more Asia-Pacific (i.e., East Asians (e.g., Chinese), South Asians (e.g., Indians), Southeast Asians (e.g., Filipinos). That's like one of the most striking differences when you land in NYC -- the large Hispanic & Black populations.

Sticking with demographics, the multigenerational White populations in both cities are pretty different culturally and attitudinally. People in Toronto generally seem more like a mix of British politeness and Midwestern niceness / down-to-earthness.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
I don't think NYC and Toronto feel similar.

In terms of demographics, NYC is way more Hispanic & Black. Toronto is way more Asia-Pacific (i.e., East Asians (e.g., Chinese), South Asians (e.g., Indians), Southeast Asians (e.g., Filipinos). That's like one of the most striking differences when you land in NYC -- the large Hispanic & Black populations.

Sticking with demographics, the multigenerational White populations in both cities are pretty different culturally and attitudinally. People in Toronto generally seem more like a mix of British politeness and Midwestern niceness / down-to-earthness.
Your last paragraph was exactly my point the last time we had this discussion.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 4:07 PM

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 6:38 PM
Midtowner since 2K

The building this last photo is taken from is an unfortunate example of terrible facademy….but it could've been an uglier building.

Lovey Halifax photo I must say....many would be gobsmacked to have thought of this as Halifax ten or twenty years ago.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada