HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 1:07 PM
BANNED

Saskatoon as the Jets new AHL farm team?

To fellow Saskatoon forum members. There have been recent talk about the Winnipeg Jets ending their agreement with the St.John's Ice Caps, in order to place their farm club closer to home. Saskatoon seems like an ideal choice, as it has the population, arena, and hockey fans to support the AHL.

Would the AHL fly in Saskatchewan? They have 4 WHL teams in the province, and the Saskatoon Blades currently play out of Saskatchewan Place Arena. What is your opinion of this?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 1:34 PM

It makes sense geography wise but I think it would kill off the Saskatoon Blades. Unless the Icecaps move to Saskatoon and True North buys the Blades and moves them to Winnipeg since True North was inquiring about getting a WHL team last year. The rumor was long term True North wants to build a 5000 seat Junior hockey arena on the Red River ex grounds as part of a $160 million convention and exhibition centre similar to the royal winter fair in Toronto that is held at the Marlies rink Ricoh Coliseum and the Exhibition place grounds in T.O.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 1:58 PM

For now the WHL team in Winnipeg is dead. TNSE couldn't work out a deal. Thunder Bay seems like a good fit for an AHL team to me. There were rumours prior to St. John's thing going ahead.

What's the problem in St. John's, too far away? They have stellar attendance numbers and the city seems to be loving it out there.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
For now the WHL team in Winnipeg is dead. TNSE couldn't work out a deal. Thunder Bay seems like a good fit for an AHL team to me. There were rumours prior to St. John's thing going ahead.

What's the problem in St. John's, too far away? They have stellar attendance numbers and the city seems to be loving it out there.
Thunder Bay currently doesn't have an adequate rink. And yes geography is the only factor against St. Johns. With teh move to the western conference and more games played in the west, a team located closer to home would make the logistics of calling players up and what not, easier. It's all rumours at this point though. The jets haven't renewed the lease of the team with their St. Johns partners as of yet. I think there is still another couple of years left though.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Thunder Bay currently doesn't have an adequate rink. And yes geography is the only factor against St. Johns. With teh move to the western conference and more games played in the west, a team located closer to home would make the logistics of calling players up and what not, easier. It's all rumours at this point though. The jets haven't renewed the lease of the team with their St. Johns partners as of yet. I think there is still another couple of years left though.
Yeah, that makes sense. TNSE still owns the Ice Caps and is just leasing the arena, from my understanding? I know they were wanting to sell it to the ex-premier and his group, IIRC.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
To fellow Saskatoon forum members. There have been recent talk about the Winnipeg Jets ending their agreement with the St.John's Ice Caps, in order to place their farm club closer to home. Saskatoon seems like an ideal choice, as it has the population, arena, and hockey fans to support the AHL.

Would the AHL fly in Saskatchewan? They have 4 WHL teams in the province, and the Saskatoon Blades currently play out of Saskatchewan Place Arena. What is your opinion of this?

In the name of brotherly love with our neighbors to the west, yes. Would they cheer for Winnipeg's farm team or or want an AHL team is another question. Financially it would make sense to TNSE cost wise minus the current arrangement in St Johns and the strong support they receive on the Rock.

I here much about Saskatoon wanting an NHL team in the future, this could give them the opportunity to prove, some day in the future, they would/could support one. But again this question was asked of Sask. residence.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 3:51 PM

How was the attendance of the pre-season game in Saskatoon? Apparently it was not a sell out. If people want NHL hockey, should they not support those pre-season games to show they're interested. Even if it is pre-season.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 3:57 PM

The fact that only Winnipeggers have responded to this thread might be an indication of the degree of AHL-mania in Saskatoon...

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 4:03 PM

Quote:
How was the attendance of the pre-season game in Saskatoon? Apparently it was not a sell out. If people want NHL hockey, should they not support those pre-season games to show they're interested. Even if it is pre-season.

They should support pre-season if thier ultimate goal or wish is to someday have an NHL team. Until they prove it, ie: AHL team for 10 years, thier not ready.

Maybe someone from Sask. will comment, but maybe not?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 4:16 PM
BANNED

Saskatchewan has five WHL teams and the arena the Blades play in Saskatoon is called the Credit Union Centre. Anyway, I would totally support an AHL team in Saskatoon as much as I can. I am originally from Regina so I have no allegiance to the Blades and have yet to go to a game. If it was an AHL team, I'd probably try to make it to at least a dozen games a season. I can't speak for Saskatonians however. Being a Rider fan and growing up in Regina has taught me a thing or two about loyalty. I'm not sure they have that here in Saskatoon.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 4:18 PM

Saskatoon isn't the greatest hockey town, they struggled to sell tickets during the last world juniors there compared to the ones in Ottawa, Vancouver, Halifax and Winnipeg back in 99. Also the Blades seem to always suffer from poor attendance.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The fact that only Winnipeggers have responded to this thread might be an indication of the degree of AHL-mania in Saskatoon...

I was thinking the same thing when I posted, but want to see the actual interest from our neighbors to the west? There's another strange factor in play, do Sask. residents want to support a Winnipeg affiliated team. There's always been a bit of good spirited rivarilly between the 2 provinces on SSP, Man/Sask., some posters may avoid the question like the plague.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 4:33 PM

I would support the AHL here in Toontown, I am originally from Regina and drive to Rider games from here. I have also supported all the NHL Pre-season games. I think as there is a better product on the ice and the arena gets some updates it will get better attendance, but until Saskatoon can support an AHL team well, the NHL will never come. However with the population increase it may get easier!

300,000 in the near future for the Metro Area. And growing like a weed!

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrodill View Post
I was thinking the same thing when I posted, but want to see the actual interest from our neighbors to the west? There's another strange factor in play, do Sask. residents want to support a Winnipeg affiliated team. There's always been a bit of good spirited rivarilly between the 2 provinces on SSP, Man/Sask., some posters may avoid the question like the plague.
A number of Winnipeggers refused to support the Moose on the basis that they were Vancouver's farm team, but there was once a heated rivalry between the Jets and Canucks. No such dynamic exists between Winnipeg and Saskatoon.

To provide another example, Sask and Alberta have traditionally been rivals on the football field but there are a great many Oilers and Flames fans in Saskatchewan... hating the Eskimos or Stampeders doesn't mean you can't support those cities' hockey teams.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
A number of Winnipeggers refused to support the Moose on the basis that they were Vancouver's farm team, but there was once a heated rivalry between the Jets and Canucks. No such dynamic exists between Winnipeg and Saskatoon.

To provide another example, Sask and Alberta have traditionally been rivals on the football field but there are a great many Oilers and Flames fans in Saskatchewan... hating the Eskimos or Stampeders doesn't mean you can't support those cities' hockey teams.
Fair examples,but I think you should direct your question to Sask. posters and how they feel personally.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 4:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Saskatoon isn't the greatest hockey town, they struggled to sell tickets during the last world juniors there compared to the ones in Ottawa, Vancouver, Halifax and Winnipeg back in 99. Also the Blades seem to always suffer from poor attendance.
That's a big misconception. The 1991 World Junior tourney was also held in Saskatoon, and it broke attendance records, at the time. The problem is that in 2010, they event organizers priced the tickets so that they were out of reach for the majority of local residents. Even when Alberta (Edmonton and Calgary) hosted the tourney in 2012, many people complained about the high pricing. Luckily, there is enough money and population in the two cities to fill the arenas.

Saskatoon does not have the best attendance for Blades games, probably because the arena is way too big for a WHL team, and the non-intimate/inviting atmosphere have hurt attendance. Another factor is location. The city dropped the ball in the 80s when they built the arena in the far north area of the city, without decent transit options. Most residents wanted it downtown.

People in Saskatchewan are wild about hockey, and I believe there is no doubt they have the ability to make the AHL work.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 4:48 PM

I can't see why Regina would not be a candidate , Saskatoon is wanting NHL team bar-none but now the pitch for AHL. Attendance for the pats have not been that great either.

Maybe they could link rider season tickets to pats tickets, to increase attendance, discount of some sort. Also when the new stadium is built i could see more people potentially going to pats games, as the Brandt center is right next door, more advertising opportunity's for the pats during rider games, could raise awareness of the team. Don't have to shun Regina b4 the conversation even starts

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 4:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Most NHL pre season games in Winnipeg were not sellouts. I mean who wants to watch a meaningless games between two non-Winnipeg teams, with some of the star players resting and the majority of the lineup (mainly AHL lifers,or prospects that are too young for the big show) just trying to make it to the fourth line, at NHL prices? I certainly wouldn't.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 4:55 PM

The first exhibition game was not that well attended as it was early in the pre-season and Saskatoon had been burned before by teams not bringing any 'A game' players. The second pre-season game had close to 13,000 in attendance as it was towards end of pre-season and more first line players were on the ice.

I don't think there is any 'negative' rivalry between Winnipeg and Saskatoon on the hockey front (football is another matter....haha), so I could see a farm team for the Jets being supported in Saskatoon. It's just too bad our arena was not built downtown as it should have been!!

BTW...2010 World Junior in Saskatoon/Regina averaged 10,000 per game (that includes all of the pre-lims) with a total attendance exceeding 300,000...I would say that is not bad.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 4:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougler306 View Post
I can't see why Regina would not be a candidate , Saskatoon is wanting NHL team bar-none but now the pitch for AHL. Attendance for the pats have not been that great either.
Has the arena been renovated at all recently? I know it was out of date, and relatively small.

Quote:
Maybe they could link rider season tickets to pats tickets, to increase attendance, discount of some sort. Also when the new stadium is built i could see more people potentially going to pats games, as the Brandt center is right next door, more advertising opportunity's for the pats during rider games, could raise awareness of the team.
That would definitely be a smart move by a potential Regina team. I would even go as far, as to ask permission from the CFL Riders to use their name and colours, since it is such a marketable brand in the province.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan