HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 4, 2009, 5:16 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Man, after reading all those "testimonials," I am a lot more angry at these people.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2009, 11:56 PM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
Man, after reading all those "testimonials," I am a lot more angry at these people.
I am no Physician but that's down right "retarded".

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 2:23 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayM View Post
I am no Physician but that's down right "retarded".
What do you mean?

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 7:31 AM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
What do you mean?
On a medical technicality only doctors are allowed to say the word retard or retarded to describe ones state of mentality.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 8:27 PM

although, ive heard that mental incompetance is defined by "repeating an action and expecting a different outcome". our leaders in charge, along with our all mighty NIMBY's will turn down oppertunity after oppertunity and they expect our city to prosper and succeed. well im no doctor but...

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 9:25 PM
The Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Playing 'Whack a Winnipeg'
By COLIN CRAIG

Remember the "whack a mole" carnival game at the Red River Ex? That's the game where a plastic mole pops up through a hole and you have to hit it on the head with a giant mallet.

Many developers and entrepreneurial ideas in Winnipeg have been treated a lot like the mole in recent years. It seems every time a good development idea comes along, it gets whacked on the head by the city, the province or the ever-present anti-development crowd.

Consider the recent proposal to build two new apartment towers on Whellams Lane in North Kildonan. That proposal would have seen a $50-million investment in our city generating approximately $500,000 in annual property taxes. As we're in the middle of an economic slowdown, most cities in North America are frothing at the mouth for that scale of development.

But due to opposition from a vocal "not in my backyard" crowd and a lack of council support, the proposal was pulled by the developer. Certainly some kind of compromise could have been worked out prior to that result. Not surprisingly, the developer is now looking at investing in Alberta or Saskatchewan. Whack! The Olywest pork plant proposal from a few years ago is another great example. That project would have invested $200 million in our city and created hundreds of new jobs. We all know what happened to that initiative. Whack!

Who could forget the idea of putting "condos in the parking lot." It was such a "green" development idea, even David Suzuki probably would have supported it. Had it proceeded, rarely used parking lot space at the south end of the zoo would have been turned into a small condo development. Proceeds from that project could have been used to fix up the park.

As we all know, shortly after the idea was floated, the anti-development crowd whipped people into a frenzy and began a fear-mongering campaign that the park's beautiful green space was going to get scarred by development all over the place. To this day, few people know that not a blade of park grass would have been uprooted by that proposal. Whack!

Perhaps the most surprising "whack" in recent years was against the proposal to build a new condo building beside the remains of Upper Fort Garry in downtown Winnipeg. After all, for decades, people have been clamouring for more condo and apartment units in the downtown area.

Even though the developer was extremely accommodating in preserving the existing ruins, people still found a problem with it. Suddenly Winnipeg needed a park downtown more than new condo units. Whack! Whack! Whack!

Were each of those projects perfect? Perhaps not, but consider the recent "bend over backwards" customer service that Ikea received from the city and provincial government. All kinds of capital upgrades like the widening of Kenaston are being sped up to help move the project along. It's probably fair to say that there have been dozens of phone calls and behind-the-scenes meetings to make that project move forward. If only other projects got that level of "let's make it work" support government and the "anti-development" crowd in this city. Hopefully it's a sign of times to come.

-- Colin Craig is the provincial director of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation.
Colin Craig had denounced construction of a new football stadium this past August...

http://www.taxpayer.com/taxpayer/new...e?news_id=2940

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 10:45 PM
Back from the dead

The CTF has an almost pathological hatred of public money paying for , well, public facilities. I'll at least give them a nod for consistency.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 5:27 AM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledhead35 View Post
although, ive heard that mental incompetance is defined by "repeating an action and expecting a different outcome". our leaders in charge, along with our all mighty NIMBY's will turn down oppertunity after oppertunity and they expect our city to prosper and succeed. well im no doctor but...
Well said.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 3:14 AM
Closed account

This is nothing new.

It's always been this way.

I built 2 commercial buildings and a guest house and it was a pain.

I am building a 12 unit apt in Transcona for a hobby and it took 5 months of meetings, threats, attacks, petitions, paperwork like the yellow pages and about $15,000.00 in costs. Yes I have 2 police reports against my neighbor.

Lucky for me it's not my livelihood, just for fun.

I stopped building in 1997 and started again in 2007, but it's all the same.

The councillor supported the project.

MM

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 3:29 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

nimbys are a problem yea some people take it to far sometimes though...

like in halifax...

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 2:00 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
like in halifax...
huh?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 2:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
like in halifax...
Like in WINNIPEG!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 2:41 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
huh?
lets see they had the common wealth games in the bag and a group of people went on a bandana to cancle it...

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 2:42 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Guy View Post
Like in WINNIPEG!!!!!!!!!
yea but u run into that in other cities to

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 7:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
yea but u run into that in other cities to
Winnipeg, I'm willing to bet, has the most NIMBY's per capita in Canada, which is why we get so little development here, and what we do get is mostly watered down crap.

And to say that Winnipeg can borderline competes with Halifax (a city half our size) but unable to compete with places like Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa, Toronto and Montreal, says volumes about Winnipeg's place in Canada.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 7:08 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
lets see they had the common wealth games in the bag and a group of people went on a bandana to cancle it...
went on a bandana?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2009, 2:50 PM
Capitalist

Condos raise ire of residentsProject will require demolition of historic home, mature trees

A new condominium project for Roslyn Road has drawn the opposition of some area residents who object to the demolition of a historic home and the removal of several mature trees.

Sunstone Resort Communities is proposing a 74-unit, 12-storey condominium complex directly behind the Osborne Village Safeway.

The project requires the demolition of the four remaining homes on that stretch of Roslyn Road, including 166 Roslyn, a 100-year-old heritage home designed by local architect John D. Atchison and built for a one-time member of the Manitoba Court of Appeal.

Judy Lehn, who lives in the nearby condo building at 188 Roslyn, said the Sunstone project will bring increased traffic into an already congested neighbourhood and will spell the end of the historic residential image of that portion of Roslyn Road.

"I chose to live in Osborne Village because it's old and I love the trees," Lehn said. "I moved from a 100-year-old house on Gertrude Avenue eight years ago. I didn't want to leave the area."

Sunstone is a Winnipeg-based development company. It has four condominium and rental projects in Winnipeg, including the Sky condos on Waterfront Drive, and two projects in Kelowna, B.C.

Sunstone representatives did not return calls from the Free Press.

Sunstone circulated working drawings on the condo project in the fall, stating they are likely subject to change as the project develops. Copies of those plans were recently obtained by the Free Press and show an elliptical-shaped tower and a row of townhouse units along Roslyn Road.

City of Winnipeg senior planner Michael Robinson said the Roslyn Road project involves the demolition of the four homes on the south side of Roslyn Road between Evergreen Place and Roslyn Crescent. They would be replaced with a row of eight, two-storey townhouse units, and a 12-storey, 66-unit condominium tower built behind the townhouses.

Robinson said Sunstone has made an application to the City of Winnipeg's historic buildings committee to demolish the home at 166 Roslyn. That application is now being reviewed.

The Roslyn Road project conforms to existing zoning requirements, Robinson said, adding the proposed 74 units is fewer than the maximum of 80 units allowed for the size of the property.

Lehn said Sunstone wants to use a rear laneway as an exit route, but noted that residents believe the laneway can't accommodate existing traffic flows, let alone the additional vehicles from the Sunstone project.

Lehn said the Osborne Village area is a popular entertainment destination that already attracts a large number of vehicles.

"When I look out my window, I see Osborne Village," Lehn said. "Why do people want to come here? They could go to a restaurant anywhere else, but they love the charm of the old buildings and old churches.

"If they take them away, as a society we lose our soul."

A letter to area residents from Sunstone states the company has altered its plan to reduce traffic flows in the laneway, but adds the designs still require that the four buildings and six mature trees be chopped down.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2009, 2:58 PM
Capitalist

aka... don't build new buildings in the inner city.

... traffic ... change .. blah blah blah .. DO the NIMBY DANCE

Can't wait for Gerbasi to come out against this project.. somebody needs to ask her where she thinks people will live, since she votes against everything.
She is a waste of opportunity personified... I am continuously amazed that people vote for her, but then I realize she comepletely catters to the Nimby population and then it all makes sence.
Winnipeg has a big problem .. and Gerbasi is there leader.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2009, 3:19 PM

i started typing a post expressing my frustrations once again, but then i wondered. is there anything we can DO to voice our opinion? at least let somebody know there is a voice FOR private development where a healthy urban culture is supported? since nobody in winnipeg knows what the term "urbanism" means.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2009, 3:30 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

What best makes a city safe?

What makes a city less costly to operate?

What attracts people to Osborne Village?

Urban Density

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan