HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 4:26 PM
What could go wrong?

Most recent Manitoba Government News release....

June 21, 2012

MANITOBA'S POPULATION GROWS
BY 16,045 TO REACH 1,261,500
- - -
Province Exceeds National Birth Rate
For Third Consecutive Year: Bjornson

More people are calling Manitoba home than ever before, with the population growing by 16,045 to reach 1,261,500 by the end of March, according to Statistics Canada figures released today, Entrepreneurship, Training and Trade Minister Peter Bjornson has announced.

"Our province is seen by families and individuals as being a very affordable and attractive place to live," said Bjornson. "This growth is also fuelling our economy and will help to continue moving in the right direction."

From April 2011 to April 2012, Manitoba gained 16,045 people, an increase of 1.3 per cent. This is the highest level since modern-day record keeping began in 1971, the minister said.

"With this population gain, Manitoba has now exceeded the national growth rate for the third consecutive year," Bjornson said. "Additionally, our growth was the third highest among the provinces."

Since last April, nearly 10,300 more individuals came to Manitoba than left for other provinces or countries, nearly matching last year's record total of 10,353. The main driver of this growth was the record arrival of 16,074 immigrants from around the world, Bjornson said.

"The Provincial Nominee Program now accounts for more than three-quarters of all new immigrants arriving here," said Bjornson. "It's been a Manitoba success story."

The minister noted that Manitoba's population has increased by nearly 107,000 over the last
10 years, driven by a net inflow to the province of some 53,300 people. In the previous 10-year period, population grew by 43,800 with a net loss of 15,500 people to other provinces and countries.

During the last 12 months, there were 16,483 babies born in Manitoba. This was the highest number of births in the last 17 years and the number has increased for seven consecutive years, Bjornson said.

- 30 -
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 7:32 PM
A long time gone

are all those babies made in winter?

-------------
"The spider spins his web in the Palace of the Caesars,
An owl hoots in the towers of Afrasiyab."

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 10:59 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritedenergy View Post
are all those babies made in winter?
Nope, all made by 15-year old girls who can't close their legs. Trust me, it was a reality at what-was my high school...

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 12:47 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Nope, all made by 15-year old girls who can't close their legs. Trust me, it was a reality at what-was my high school...
What high school did you go to?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Reform school, he's still taking classes...... I just had to do it!

Those returns must be from all the 'Lake-people' that were displaced from their homes last Srping. Here I thought they were watching the rising waters, ....shows me.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 2:09 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
St. James Collegiate... hated that school

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 3:37 PM
Heart of the Continent

Manitoba growing above the national average, Saskatchewan growing at almost twice the national average:

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quoti...27b002-eng.htm

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 5:00 PM

^ Really good to see, thanks jmt

1.2 isn't much higher than 1.1, but its better than being below!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 6:30 PM
What could go wrong?

MB Gov't news release

September 27, 2012

MANITOBA'S POPULATION CONTINUES
TO EXPERIENCE STRONG GROWTH: BJORNSON

More people are calling Manitoba home than ever before, with the provincial population estimated at 1,267,003, according to new Statistics Canada figures released this morning, news that was welcomed by Entrepreneurship, Training and Trade Minister Peter Bjornson.

"The provincial government has worked hard to keep Manitoba moving forward through uncertainty in the global economy and to make Manitoba an even better place for families to put down roots and build a life," said Bjornson. "I'm thrilled to see so many more people choosing to call Manitoba home."

The new statistics show continued growth in the province with an increase in population of over 47,000 in the last three years. This is over 26 per cent higher than the previous best three-year period in the early 1980s. Manitoba's annual growth continues to outpace the national average, with more than 15,000 new people calling the province home in the last 12 months.

Over the last three years, nearly 30,000 more individuals came to Manitoba than left for other provinces or countries, beating the last record by 50 per cent. Immigration continues to be a large factor in the population gain.

"Within Canada and around the world, Manitoba continues to be a top destination to build a business, raise a family and make a life," said Bjornson. "It's no secret to Manitobans that this is a great place to live and this continued growth in population just confirms that more and more people are finding out why."

The minister noted the Manitoba population has increased by more than 110,000 over the last
10 years. This trend has been driven by a net inflow to the province of over 55,000 people.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 28, 2012, 9:20 PM
Armchair urbanist

I'm pretty confident that this growth some kind of a ruse put on by our government.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 5:17 PM
What could go wrong?

I posted in the Canada section.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaillant View Post
Cities population on july 1st 2012

Toronto..............5 941,5
Montréal........... 3 957,7
Vancouver....... 2 463,7
Calgary..............1 309,2
Ottawa-Gatineau..1 273,3
Edmonton............1 230,1
Winnipeg................778,4
Québec..................769,6
Hamilton................756,6

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tabl...emo05a-fra.htm
I can't wait for Winnipeg to pass 800k. It seems like we have been in the high 600k - 700k for ever. If current trends keep up it should happen in 2 years.

......next up Calgary and then.....TORONTO!!!......bwwaa...haaa...haaa, cough, cough.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 6:09 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post

I can't wait for Winnipeg to pass 800k. It seems like we have been in the high 600k - 700k for ever. If current trends keep up it should happen in 2 years.

......next up Calgary and then.....TORONTO!!!......bwwaa...haaa...haaa, cough, cough.
[SARCASM]800k? I don't think we can fit enough Single Family Dwellings within the City limits.[/SARCASM]

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 7:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post

Just annex East and West St Paul and we would jump right over the 800K mark. Edmonton Proper, is actually close to the 800K mark, but they add all the bedroom communities. And if you ever do a Google Earth look, you can see that those communities are as far away as, per say Oak Bank or La Salle.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 7:57 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
Just annex East and West St Paul and we would jump right over the 800K mark. Edmonton Proper, is actually close to the 800K mark, but they add all the bedroom communities. And if you ever do a Google Earth look, you can see that those communities are as far away as, per say Oak Bank or La Salle.
I think those numbers are CMA which would already include ESP & WSP. If you look at the country numbers they are all CMA's.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 9:07 PM

http://www.winnipeg.ca/cao/pdfs/population.pdf

Winnipeg beat the estimated city projections by ~6.4k which is pretty awesome news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
And yes, East & West St Paul are part of the CMA. I would also say most of Edmonton's city is serviced by the CMA population in some form to, so lets not take anything away from that.

As per the city: "the CMA includes West St Paul, East St Paul Headingley, MacDonald, Richot, Tache, Spingfield, Rosser,
St Francois Xavier, St Clements, and Brokenhead First Nation."

It does NOT include Cartier(~3.1k in 2001), Rockwood(~7.6k in 2001), St Andrews(~11k), or Selkirk (~10k). These would all add ~30k to Winnipeg's metro population, were they included...but I think some of these RMs are a stretch to say they regularly service Winnipeg; for example many people in Cartier may service nearby regions or Portage La Prairie.

That said, others, such as St Andrews, make it a point on their site to even advertise themselves as a low cost alternative to the city and only being "minutes from Winnipeg"; they even mention majority of their 11k citizens live in the southern portion of the RM

Basically, by the time certain things such as the ALT hotel construction finishes and Human Rights Museum opens its doors, Winnipeg should be around if not passed the 800k mark.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 12:02 PM
BANNED

Quick question. There were two sets of population data that came out for 2011; actual and estimates, correct or am I mixing something up? I read somewhere here that that one was more accurate than the other. Does someone know which one is more accurate? Are we officially larger than QC or is QC larger than us?

Thanks!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 12:43 AM
I am a typical

Estimates are more accurate because it takes into account a wide variety of factors and data sources.

The census is only as accurate as those who respond to it.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 2:12 PM

Just imagine what Manitoba's population would be if you didn't have those silly lakes taking up all that prime real estate!!

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 2:48 AM
Transit Nerd

Or if Winnipeg was built near a beach

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan