HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 5:17 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Going upscale with Hemisfair would really compliment Rivercenter Mall's current transition into an upscale entertainment venue.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post

“With gas prices like they are, there is great interest in coming back to the inner city, where there’s an established infrastructure,” says Deputy City Manager Pat DiGiovanni. “It’s live, work, and entertainment, and we’re looking for a 24-hour destination in San Antonio.”
I am sorry, but I truly hate the mentality that yields statements like this. It is such a "late to the table" mentality. "With gas prices like they are"? Because it took that to get you to look at this, really? Like this isn't a well established idea that we have needed to do this? really? And is he/she just realized the ice cap is melting? Yikes! Better late than never I guess>!!!!

This is and has been a great idea. Maybe SA can use the gas price crap for leverage. OK.... but just get it done ya'll! That area has such great character to be taken advantage of there is such a great mix of (near) mid century architecture, 19thc building and totally underutilized areas! Would make a great place to live! If SA pulls this off, and I think it can happen, it would be one of the most unique/coolest places to live in any top 10 city.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 5:47 AM

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...2400%5E1677293

Quote:
Atop that list is a remake of the site of the 1968 world’s fair. HemisFair ’68 is where Hardberger says he and his wife, Linda, who were living in Odessa, Texas, at the time, first fell in love with and decided to move to San Antonio.

For years, local leaders have debated what to do with what remains of that site. There are at least two options that have been discussed and debated. One would preserve the site as a permanent downtown park.

The other would transform it into a mixed-used development that would include a residential element. Ironically, Hardberger, who is a champion of more parks and green spaces, says the latter now makes more sense.

“There are two ways to go. One is the Central Park idea. But the other is a sophisticated upscale development,” Hardberger says. “It’s a little late on the park. There is too much building that has already occurred.”

Hardberger hopes to gather enough consensus among city staff and members of City Council later this month to move on the latter concept.

“That place has just been sitting there. If we can get the dialogue going, we can get the ball rolling,” Hardberger says. “I’d like to get the redevelopment of HemisFair off the ground. I want to direct that effort.”

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 5:33 PM
Bears of antiquity

Why can't we have a large downtown park?!

ARGH!

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 6:14 PM

^^^I agree. There's still plenty of room south and southwest of the park to develop residential space. More good park space is a need for the urban core and a better use of that area.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 4:58 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
^^^I agree. There's still plenty of room south and southwest of the park to develop residential space. More good park space is a need for the urban core and a better use of that area.
i am sure that the skilled folks who have put forht plans for the area have saved as much green space as possible as well as given the residential developments the best possible spots within that scope.

whether this idea ever gets built out depends on whether the demand is there - and having a condo with a large urban park (and the TOA) in your backyard is probably a nice selling point.

this would be THE ideal DT location in my opinion. close enough to a convenient walk to first friday events and king william restaurants as well as close enough to walk to the majestic for a show or mortons or the palm for a steak. sign me up.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 3:13 AM
James

I'm with sakyle on this one. Who wouldn't want TOA on your balcony, the Convention center even, or GH glaring you down. I say this is an amazing opportunity, and we need to seize it.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 3:31 AM
Closed account

Why can't hemisfair PARK stay a park? I would approve of some development around the periphery, but we still need some green space.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 10:16 PM
James

Well of course the inards would stay a park. I imagine the border of the park to be full of apartment buildings and townhomes. Nothing too tall of course, four stories at the most.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 10:45 PM

I think some 300-400' buildings bordering Durango would be nice. Would be a major skyline impact coming into DT north on I-37.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydoc14 View Post
I think some 300-400' buildings bordering Durango would be nice. Would be a major skyline impact coming into DT north on I-37.
I'd say ToA, along with the Alamodome and GH already make enough of a statement. What would really sell it the area from that viewpoint would be like what jaga is suggesting, a dense collection of 4-5 story buildings, with maybe a couple of 8-10 storys to break things up.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
I'd say ToA, along with the Alamodome and GH already make enough of a statement. What would really sell it the area from that viewpoint would be like what jaga is suggesting, a dense collection of 4-5 story buildings, with maybe a couple of 8-10 storys to break things up.
Agree with you on that one. No need for anything too tall over there. If anything id say the Sunset station area as well as the river north project area would be better for highrise

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 11:50 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan101 View Post
Agree with you on that one. No need for anything too tall over there. If anything id say the Sunset station area as well as the river north project area would be better for highrise
i know what you guys are saying.... we all like modesty and a good neighborhood feel.

that said, if someone offers to build a 20-30 story building there on durango, i will be ecstatic!!!

build up, anywhere you can.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2008, 12:40 AM

Was playing around on Google Earth and thought I'd draw up my mock plan for HemisFair.

Green boundary: green space, park interior, secluded from Durango
Yellow boundary: apartments and townhomes, height limited to 100'
Red boundary: one 350' condo tower

Old Posted Aug 8, 2008, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydoc14 View Post
Was playing around on Google Earth and thought I'd draw up my mock plan for HemisFair.

Green boundary: green space, park interior, secluded from Durango
Yellow boundary: apartments and townhomes, height limited to 100'
Red boundary: one 350' condo tower

Don't forget to include the Texan Culture building as rumor has it they want a new building.

Also, I wonder if maybe the area across from Durango Blvd (fed parking lots, etc) west of the Victoria Commons development could be part of the redevelopment as well.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2008, 2:56 AM

Yeah, those parking lots are ripe for development.

ydoc, a 350' tower in that location would not only provide some height in that area, but also help plug a major hole in the skyline from the north and south.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2008, 8:06 AM

Radical idea, maybe...

But what about extending the Riverwalk all the way to the Texan Culture site and into a downtown lake?

Green = Park

Blue = Water

Red = Mixed-Use

Old Posted Aug 8, 2008, 1:52 PM

^^^That's a cool idea, though probably cost-prohibitive. Also, I'm sure the new owners of Rivercenter would fight it because they'd want to keep as many customers as possible in their little cul-de-sac. I know what you're proposing probably wouldn't have retail, but a developer could see it as a "distraction" from their product, particularly since the existing lagoon does such a good job of channelling people towards the mall.

Is there a current plan for convention center expansion? I though the last I heard they want to expand northeast/east, maybe over Market St. I've been racking my brains though trying to think of a way they could expand south and incorporate the park with the convention center, perhaps even putting the park on top of the roof.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2008, 1:56 PM
Closed account

Where would the federal building move to?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2008, 3:37 PM
Bears of antiquity

Old Police HQ

Plans for the Federal Building should be out within the next 3-6 months

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio