HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 7:39 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegger5 View Post
A very large majority (in fact I would say over 90%) of Mennonites are of German decent born in Russia or Germany itself.
i dont think so....the mennonites as a group have moved around a lot through their history.....russia, paraguay, mexico, the U.S. and canada, but they did not originally come from germany as a rule.

Menno Simons was dutch and the mennonnite church started in switzerland.....mennonites speak german, but their traditions are not german and very few mennonites have any genetic roots to germany itself (some from the south but not a huge number)....most come originally from the netherlands or switzerland....from there they moved to russia and so on.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 8:20 AM

That infushion of immigrants will really help Manitoba grow its population.
I think that Manitoba has a decent birth rate due to the large number of natives.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2007, 1:47 AM

I think there's a difference here in the retention numbers - in the paper a week or 2 ago I remember reading that while Manitoba's immigrant retention rate was around 65-70% , the City of Winnipeg's immigrant retention rate was 93%.
Did anyone else see these stats?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2007, 3:24 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by good_dude View Post
I think there's a difference here in the retention numbers - in the paper a week or 2 ago I remember reading that while Manitoba's immigrant retention rate was around 65-70% , the City of Winnipeg's immigrant retention rate was 93%.
Did anyone else see these stats?
If we assume that Winnipeg gets about 80% of Manitoba's immigrants, those stats would indicate that the rest of the province loses somewhere between 110% and 120% of its immigrants.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2007, 6:37 AM
Home of Hyperchange

To truly find out where Mennonites originate from, one simply has to do etymology on the names Friesen, Penner, Loewen, Toews, and Dyck.

Or at least to find out where Steinbachians came from.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 6:57 AM

Here's something that doesn't make sense to me. With 10,000 new immigrants to Manitoba, you wouldexpect that most would go to Winnipeg. Stats Can estimates Winnipeg's CMA to grow by about 2,000 people from 2005 to 2006. Are the immigrants going to other parts of Manitoba? Are some of them leaving after they arrive?
Just curious, some of the Winnipeg forumers may have more insight.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 7:04 AM

What's the Winnipeg East Indian community (in figures)? Large numbers? Edmonton is home of the bigger name concerts in Alberta (Jazzy Bains, Sukhshinder Shinda, Juggy D, Jay Sean, RDB, etc).

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 7:22 AM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeep88 View Post
What's the Winnipeg East Indian community (in figures)? Large numbers? Edmonton is home of the bigger name concerts in Alberta (Jazzy Bains, Sukhshinder Shinda, Juggy D, Jay Sean, RDB, etc).
These are the numbers according to Statscan in 2001. Don't know what they are today.

Vancouver..........142,060
Calgary...............31,580
Edmonton............26,120
Winnipeg.............11,520

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 7:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
These are the numbers according to Statscan in 2001. Don't know what they are today.

Vancouver..........142,060
Calgary...............31,580
Edmonton............26,120
Winnipeg.............11,520
Yeah, those numbers are definitely on the low end. Not all categories are listed in the stats can survey (i.e. Punjabi Sikh's don't consider themselves South Asian - so numbers are lost sometimes)

The Edmonton Journal reported there are 100,000 Sikh's in Alberta alone.

Every year, there is a Sikh parade in Edmonton that easily tops 10,000 people. That's just Sikh's who attend. Then you got Hindu's and muslim's, on top of that. I wouldn't be surprised if there are 40-60K in Edmonton.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan