HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 1:44 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

San Antonio Business Journal image:

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 2:34 PM
JACKinBeantown

That's generally good news. In the renderings and photos I don't see any sign of residential with ground level retail. Hopefully I'm just not seeing it. San Antonio certainly doesn't need any more drive-everywhere developments.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post

I’m not sure if you know, Brooks is a 600-acre masterplanned community on the site of the former Brooks Air Force Base on the southeast side of San Antonio.

In 2011, it was closed due to BRAC and turned into a public-private masterplanned community called Brooks City-Base. It has sin de lost the city-base portion of its name and now goes by Brooks. It has slowly transformed from an old WWI and WWII out post into a modern mixed-use masterplanned community with retail, hotel, residential, education and office. There is also a new 46-acre park called the Greenline. It has greatly transformed that area of the southeast side.

Construction seems to be never ending at Brooks. From retail to residential to new roads and parks, etc.

If you research Brooks you’ll see all the companies that have moved in and established offices there providing that area with tons of jobs. This is another big get for Brooks and San Antonio in general.

There is even more residential development planned. The Kennedy:

It sure looks like they have spent millions already transforming Brooks Air Force Base into what it is today!!
What an exciting transformation and VERY exciting news about the European HQ planting itself here in SA!!

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 6:32 PM

Exclamation

Go to the company’s website. It doesn’t really say anything. They have a News link and the page is empty.

Glassdoor says the company has less than a 1000 employees now, And their employees rate the company at just over 2 stars. It seems like they provide customer support as a third party (Verizon was mentioned in the reviews). It doesn’t sound like a great win, and I would be surprised if they get to that 1400 number. It almost feels like a con.

We’ll see; I guess it beats a Siracha plant?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
Go to the company’s website. It doesn’t really say anything. They have a News link and the page is empty.

Glassdoor says the company has less than a 1000 employees now, And their employees rate the company at just over 2 stars. It seems like they provide customer support as a third party (Verizon was mentioned in the reviews). It doesn’t sound like a great win, and I would be surprised if they get to that 1400 number. It almost feels like a con.

We’ll see; I guess it beats a Siracha plant?
So BPO is Business Process Outsourcing - which is essentially a call center. I interviewed for a management position with a different BPO provider a couple of years ago in SA. As you mentioned it basically allows large companies to outsource their basic customer service to be run by the BPO. Turnover is pretty high so some of these BPOs will hire contractors to man the call centers and not have to deal with all the paperwork that goes with that turnover. I have no doubt that they'll bring 1,400 jobs to the area, I just don't think they'll be full time OKIN jobs, but who knows. It's their US headquarters so you'd have to assume they'll have at least a few good, non-call center jobs there.

Either way, it's economic development and investment in an area of town that hasn't traditionally attracted large employers. I know it's not a brand name employer but it's still better than no jobs or development and it's something the city can point to in the future as showing it can attract international firms to the city. I admit I'm taking a "glass half full" approach, but I think it's overall a positive things for the city.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 10:28 PM

About the company-

OKIN has been providing information technology services such as project management, multilingual customer support, and cloud and and security expertise. Operating mostly in Europe, the company is ranked among the biggest and fastest growing Czech Republic-based service providers on the global market and has been expanding worldwide

https://therivardreport.com/czech-co...ers-at-brooks/

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 4:02 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan In Real Life View Post
So BPO is Business Process Outsourcing - which is essentially a call center. I interviewed for a management position with a different BPO provider a couple of years ago in SA. As you mentioned it basically allows large companies to outsource their basic customer service to be run by the BPO. Turnover is pretty high so some of these BPOs will hire contractors to man the call centers and not have to deal with all the paperwork that goes with that turnover. I have no doubt that they'll bring 1,400 jobs to the area, I just don't think they'll be full time OKIN jobs, but who knows. It's their US headquarters so you'd have to assume they'll have at least a few good, non-call center jobs there.

Either way, it's economic development and investment in an area of town that hasn't traditionally attracted large employers. I know it's not a brand name employer but it's still better than no jobs or development and it's something the city can point to in the future as showing it can attract international firms to the city. I admit I'm taking a "glass half full" approach, but I think it's overall a positive things for the city.
Good take.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 8:33 PM

Quote:
New data released Friday indicates that the hospitality industry’s economic impact on the Alamo City reached $15.2 billion in 2017, a $1.6 billion increase from 2015.

Those figures are part of a new study produced by Trinity University professors Richard Butler and Mary Stefl. According to the new study, 37 million people visited San Antonio in 2017, an increase of 7.3 million visitors since 2015.

San Antonio’s escalated recruitment of more airlines and flights has contributed to the spike in visitation as improved air access has made the city a more appealing destination. Butler and Stefl say the new data proves that tourism remains a vibrant sector and continues to become a more critical part of the city’s economy.
https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...surpasses.html

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
From mysa.com:

The Kohl's department store chain will open an operations center in San Antonio that's expected to employ more than 1,000 people within about three years.

Kohl's planned expansion follows Nationwide Mutual Insurance Co.'s announcement in October that it would create 838 jobs at a new regional corporate campus to be built in the Westover Hills area. It already employs more than 900 locally.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...wFullArticle=y
Does anyone know if this thing ever got built and if it did was it as good as expected?

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastarkus View Post
Does anyone know if this thing ever got built and if it did was it as good as expected?

Not sure about Kohl's but here's the info on Nationwide

https://www.nationwide.com/about-us/...an-antonio.jsp

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 5:42 AM

The reason I asked is my daughter started working at a store in Ft.Worth and they say everything in Texas and the southwest goes thru the regional operations center in DFW not in SA. Got my hometown pride up in arms just a little....

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 4:55 PM
James

There is a Kohl's call center out on the west side, I don't know how many they have though.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastarkus View Post
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sa...!4d-98.4568128

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.4722...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 1:57 AM
JACKinBeantown

Wow, what a sprawling parking lot with lots of paved surface and nowhere for workers to go without getting into their cars. A great example of un-great urban planning.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Wow, what a sprawling parking lot with lots of paved surface and nowhere for workers to go without getting into their cars. A great example of un-great urban planning.
That Citigroup/American Funds building is pretty cool. The parking, for the employees, is underground.

Not sure that takes cars off the road, but it is a better use of the land. And, they have a top notch kitchen that offers meals without having to leave the campus. And I mean top notch. The Food Network kitchen might be smaller.

It smelled delicious the times I was there.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 12:57 AM

PenFed plans to open regional financial center creating 600 new jobs.

“This project illustrates the community’s continued commitment to attracting innovative employers to our city and the creation of skilled, high-wage jobs,” City Manager Sheryl Sculley said.

https://therivardreport.com/military...n-san-antonio/

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 8:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
It is 15 miles from downtown in a very suburban setting. All city’s have this. If this was Kohl’s corporate headquarters I’d agree. It is not.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 4:18 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynetwo View Post
It is 15 miles from downtown in a very suburban setting. All city’s have this. If this was Kohl’s corporate headquarters I’d agree. It is not.
One could infer from your statement that only downtowns should have walkable areas with amenities for people. I'd rather have a couple nearby lunch choices every day than the company cafeteria. I assume that's not entirely what you meant, so please expand on your thought if you like.

We all know how hot cars get in San Antonio. A typical summer day at lunch time is over 90º. That means it's about 110º or more in your car. It takes a few minutes just to get your car to the point where you can get in it to drive to your lunch spot down the highway, then find a parking spot, then wait for a table, then do the whole hot car thing in reverse to get back to work in less than an hour. I'd much rather walk around the corner for lunch.

This looks like yet another 70s/80s style suburban office wasteland. Planners need to plan.

Last edited by JACKinBeantown; Jan 27, 2019 at 7:54 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 7:25 PM

500 Tech Jobs Promised as Accenture Expands in San Antonio

https://therivardreport.com/500-tech...box=1551377144

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 3:59 AM

Looks like if the Missions want a new stadium, they will have to pay for it.

https://woai.iheart.com/content/2019...DbQEmiGJwUucOE

"Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff says the idea of building a new, taxpayer funded baseball stadium to house the San Antonio Missions as they make the move this season from AA to AAA level baseball is 'pretty much dead,' News Radio 1200 WOAI reports.

Former Mayor Ivy Taylor had proposed a purpose-built AAA baseball stadium downtown, specifically in an area of the newly renovated Hemisfair, across I-37 from the Alamodome.

While the owner of the Missions is pushing for a new stadium, Wolff told News Radio 1200 WOAI's Michael Board there is no support for it on the city or county levels, and the key now is the upgrade Wolff Stadium to meet AAA standards."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio