HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 7, 2012, 8:00 PM

Help for A Good Driving Tour of Winnipeg

Hello fellow Winnipeg Forumers,

I am helping organize a conference with about 80 out-of-country guests in Gimli. It was brought to our attention that these guests will not see much of the city, and we've decided to reroute our return-trip on friday (from Gimli to the University of Manitoba), to follow a route that would show them some interesting parts of the city. I was looking at google maps, and realized, why not ask you guys for your opinion on where you'd route the buses, maybe point out historical places (Legislature?, Portage and Main?, CMHR, St. B. Osborne? St. Marys?).

Keep in mind that these are large tour buses, so sticking to major routes is key. Don't worry about driving time, or sticking to 'nice areas' or what not. Just get us from Gimli to the University to see some interesting things, and list whats along the route.

Last edited by Mininari; Nov 7, 2012 at 8:12 PM.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2012, 8:30 PM

Southbound McPhillips at Kingsbury is possibly the world's only "U-Turn" traffic signal. A must see but tour buses probably couldn't make the U-turn. :p

Your list seems pretty good. I would go by the forks and pass the musuem under construction. Drive over the provencher bridge into St. B.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2012, 9:18 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

take henderson into downtown drive across main st up alexander and drive up princess fallow that rout till broadway and turn right and then turn to go down osborn all the way to biship and cross the red there to get u to the u of m

if that makes any sens

no pertic order just some things they will get to see

get to see the skyline
get to see the exchange
get to see density
get to see broadway
get to see ledge
mts center
some construction on going
south osborne
confusion corner
the village
our trees
how much rail runs through out city
cross the river multiple times

Old Posted Nov 7, 2012, 11:50 PM
Transit Nerd

If a D40 can fit at the Air Force historical display on Sharpe/Air Force Way, pretty sure a tourbus can!

Also, try and show them the RT system

Old Posted Nov 8, 2012, 1:47 AM

my personal fav drive is westbound Provencher, over the Riel bridge, hit Portage & Main.
my choice route:
From Hwy 8, east on perimeter hwy, south on main street, east on Chief Peguis trail, south on Lag, west on Regent/Nairn, north on Archibald, west down Provencher, west on Portage, south on Colony/memorial, south on pembina hwy(confusion corner), and finally-east onto Chancellor Matheson, ending the trip with a peek at the new IG Field.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2012, 1:59 AM

tache between provencher and hospital has lots of history (cathedrale, louis riel grave, grey nun residence, st.b museum) and nice view of forks across river. also a drive down lyndale drive (bcuz I live there) along river is nice.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2012, 3:36 AM

Thanks, these are all useful suggestions! I'm going to draw up a couple maps and figure out our final route tomorrow. I know all the places to show, its just the best order to go in to do it, as well as the sightlines depending on which way the bus is travelling.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2012, 3:57 PM

Come back to town on McPhillips, turn left at Selkirk Ave taking that to Main St. This shows them part of the historical important north end. Main to Logan to Princess then takes them through China Town and into the Exchange. Turn right at Ellice left at Memorial, left at Porage. This will run you past The Bay and MTS Centre and set you up for Portage and Main. Continue east east into St onto Provencher takes you past the CMHR. Turn right at Tache highlights some of the French area as mentioned elsewhere. Turn right at Marion and come onto Main St heading north. Turn left at Broadway and go past the Leg. Turn left at Osborne to go through the Village. You could then follow that to Pembina or take Osborne to Jublie across the bridge which would give you a good look over the end of the RT run.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 6:20 AM

No matter where these folks are from. can't see them getting exited about our so called " RAPID TRANSIT " [don't know how to finish the sentence], can't call it a system or line,

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan