HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 4:04 PM
Back from the dead

One need only look at a map to see that there was never any plan to put anything more than a flyover at Dakota and the Perimeter. It wasn't designed to accommodate any entry or exit lanes from the Perimeter. Personally, I think that that's a mistake but whatever.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 4:07 PM

Why is it a mistake? St. Annes and Marys are both right there. The connect with Warde, which is basically an arterial that can be expanded to 4 lanes. Aldgate also connects to both. No need for Dakota access.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
One need only look at a map to see that there was never any plan to put anything more than a flyover at Dakota and the Perimeter. It wasn't designed to accommodate any entry or exit lanes from the Perimeter. Personally, I think that that's a mistake but whatever.
I know a couple of residents in River Park South that are eagerly waiting on this because there is a sign at the current end of Dakota that days future connection to perimeter.

Here's the google streetview of the sign but hard to see the writing where it says future connection

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Da...4b9e00993f0b66

For once in this city/province, the developers might not be gettig their way with wrecking our transportation network

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 5:57 PM

Agreed. I feel like this may be one of those developers promises that aren't actually correct. Obviously they were told that land needed to be reserved. So someone at the City/Province told them to do it.

But here really is no savings in time beyond maybe 1 minute for residents to drive to/from either St Annes or Marys. Especially if it was only a RIRO connection to 100.

If you were coming EB on 100 and wanted to get into the community, you'd need to use St. Mary's anyways. Vice versa for wanting to leave heading EB. You'd need St. Anne's. Not much of a bonus.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 7:26 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
I know a couple of residents in River Park South that are eagerly waiting on this because there is a sign at the current end of Dakota that days future connection to perimeter.

Here's the google streetview of the sign but hard to see the writing where it says future connection

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Da...4b9e00993f0b66

For once in this city/province, the developers might not be gettig their way with wrecking our transportation network
Fair enough. However, River Park South was planned at least 40 years ago and at that time an intersection would have probably been allowed. Come to think of it, it's a fairly recent development that the province has decided to make it fully limited access. The overall plan, nevertheless, was clearly for an overpass and not a permanent intersection.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 7:31 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Maybe, maybe, in the distant future...

Highway 100 can be expanded into an express-collector system with a 2+2+2+2 configuration, then such short distance between interchanges is allowed.

Obviously, it’s a pipe dream in the present time.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 7:35 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Maybe, maybe, in the distant future...

Highway 100 can be expanded into an express-collector system with a 2+2+2+2 configuration, then such short distance between interchanges is allowed.

Obviously, it’s a pipe dream in the present time.
Oh yeah, it won't happen for a long time to come. As I recall, there are no plans to open up anything south of the Perimeter to residential development any time soon.

Mind you, it won't be that long before there's nowhere else to go. Maybe 20 years from now it'll jump the highway but now that the province has made its decision on what kind of highway it's going to be, whoever decides to develop will have to cover the costs of the overpass at least partially. Or maybe sooner...I guess it depends on demand.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 3:07 PM

^This is something that does not happen in Winnipeg and it's BS. Developers paying for interchanges. Even in Saskatoon, Stonebridge has like 3 or 4 interchanges for the developments off Circle drive and Hwy 11. And the developer is paying for at least one of them, the Hwy 11 one. Waverley West was originally planned this way but it was toooo expeeeesnive (that's my whiny voice). So they were dropped.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
^This is something that does not happen in Winnipeg and it's BS. Developers paying for interchanges. Even in Saskatoon, Stonebridge has like 3 or 4 interchanges for the developments off Circle drive and Hwy 11. And the developer is paying for at least one of them, the Hwy 11 one. Waverley West was originally planned this way but it was toooo expeeeesnive (that's my whiny voice). So they were dropped.
Isn't the developer in that part of Waverly West Manitoba Housing on the land land they own? If so that's govt money and will not be spend no matter how low the cost is.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 9:17 PM

Yeah, the northern half is Manitoba Housing. The southern half is whoever the developer is. I'll see if I can find early reports for Waverley West and what exactly went on. But there was definitely bridges that were to be paid for by the development. Not built later by the City.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 1:52 PM

The Manitoba Housing portion of Waverley West is now fully developed. The southern part, Prairie Pointe is owned by Ladco, and that weird middle piece with Cadboro and Lee Blvd is mostly owned by Qualico (who recently purchased it from Manitoba Housing).

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 8:17 PM

This is just me genuinely not knowing – why does/would Manitoba Housing be developing subdivisions? Isn't their mandate to provide affordable housing for low-income people?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
This is just me genuinely not knowing – why does/would Manitoba Housing be developing subdivisions? Isn't their mandate to provide affordable housing for low-income people?
Yes that is their mandate. They have locations everywhere, including new subdivisions. The idea behind this is that if there was only affordable housing in low income areas, then there would be less likelihood of the cycle of poverty breaking. It creates more of a ghetto when you congregate all low income people in one area.

Getting the chance to run into people of other social classes can be beneficial within a community, and if not for the adults, then maybe for the children in these families who might go to school and have lower chances of getting suckered into gangs and such that tends to be rife in lower income areas.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 7:55 AM

Quote:
Yes that is their mandate. They have locations everywhere, including new subdivisions. The idea behind this is that if there was only affordable housing in low income areas, then there would be less likelihood of the cycle of poverty breaking. It creates more of a ghetto when you congregate all low income people in one area.

Getting the chance to run into people of other social classes can be beneficial within a community, and if not for the adults, then maybe for the children in these families who might go to school and have lower chances of getting suckered into gangs and such that tends to be rife in lower income areas.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 2:29 PM

I think Manitoba Housing had a number of swathes around the city from back in the 50s and 60s. From what I remember from my school days, it was an attempt at controlling planning by the province pre-unicity. Almost like a greenbelt. I don't know if Manitoba Housing owned it specifically or it was just the provincial government. I don't think they should be developing land anyways and I am glad they sold of the last bit of Bridgwater wholesale. That Bona Vista development was also provincially owned I think.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 5:27 AM

Quote:

This I understand, I just got the sense from earlier posts that MH was developing large neighbourhoods, as opposed to building/managing MFR.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2019, 10:29 PM

This morning I heard on the radio that Manitoba Infrastructure released it's top intersections for collisions to some media sources. I dont even recall the station but it listed that the top 5 were all on Perimeter, with St marys, St Anne, and Mcgillivray in the top 3, in that order.

Tried to find an online news source that had the full list but the best I got was a a Winkler focused article on CTV which listed the non-perimeter hotspots.

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/mobile/m...hway-1.4318714

Looking through this there arent too many surprises

Old Posted Mar 2, 2019, 2:35 AM

Quote:
This morning I heard on the radio that Manitoba Infrastructure released it's top intersections for collisions to some media sources. I dont even recall the station but it listed that the top 5 were all on Perimeter, with St marys, St Anne, and Mcgillivray in the top 3, in that order.

Tried to find an online news source that had the full list but the best I got was a a Winkler focused article on CTV which listed the non-perimeter hotspots.

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/mobile/m...hway-1.4318714

Looking through this there arent too many surprises
I don't know why provinces and cities keep releasing these stats based on raw figures other than to get people all worked up.

On a related topic I noticed a link on that page to a story about how the City of Winnipeg is going to be slashing it's roads budget by nearly 1/3. Ouch! It's also scaling back its six-year road renewal program from $976 million to $801 million. What is "road renewal"? I've never heard that term used in Alberta. That figure wouldn't include capital projects would it? If so, that's an extremely small budget for six years.

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/roads-bu...dget-1.4318120

Old Posted Mar 2, 2019, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
I don't know why provinces and cities keep releasing these stats based on raw figures other than to get people all worked up.

On a related topic I noticed a link on that page to a story about how the City of Winnipeg is going to be slashing it's roads budget by nearly 1/3. Ouch! It's also scaling back its six-year road renewal program from $976 million to $801 million. What is "road renewal"? I've never heard that term used in Alberta. That figure wouldn't include capital projects would it? If so, that's an extremely small budget for six years.

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/roads-bu...dget-1.4318120
There are various types of street renewal, including reconstruction, rehabilitation, mill & fill, thin bituminous overlay, and improvements within the right-of-way.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2019, 5:36 PM

Just fixing roads. The Province is scaling back their fundin for the City, that's the reason.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan