HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 18, 2007, 1:22 AM

It didn't seem that bad...i guess im getting use to the floodin lol

Old Posted Aug 18, 2007, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtobias View Post
is it very hard to build a highrise condo downtown in the price range of 200 to 300 thousand for a 2 or 3 bedroom
Yes, with the current cost of construction it's pretty much impossible. Just to build a highrise of concrete and steel and glass costs at least $300 to $400per sq ft. The cost of steel doubled from June 2003 to April 2005 and steel continues to increase in cost about 10-15% per year: http://www.concretemonthly.com/newsflash/art.php?701

Here's one recent article where the writer tried to research the exact increases of both steel and cement over the past few years: http://voiceofsandiego.org/articles/...lice071107.txt.

Add to that the increase in the cost of transporting all other building and finish materials and you can understand why construction costs are so high and why they continue to increase.

Cost of construction is the main reason why the asking prices of downtown high rise condo residences are much higher than similarly sized single family homes made of stick and brick. There are other factors that come into play, but basically we will not see any 2 or 3 bedroom condos in new construction highrises going for $200k to $300k in any downtown area unless construction costs decrease for some reason.

It might be possible for a developer to offer lower priced condos in a conversion project - office to condo or apartment to condo. For example, if someone were to convert the Robert E. Lee hotel to condos, some 2 bedroom units might sell for less than $300,000.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2007, 10:31 PM

high rise residential really doesn't seem to make sense in sa. especially with low cost of real estate.

it would be nice if nice 3-4 story high density well planned districts were made instead. 200k would be a very reasonable price to sell at for the builder.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2007, 4:37 AM

build it and they will come

Old Posted Aug 21, 2007, 3:49 AM

i agree. tha same with tha football team. if they give us one. better believe tha fans will come. but thats another thread im sure

www.myspace.com/tonemayne

Old Posted Aug 22, 2007, 12:16 AM

Latest pic of the Grand Hyatt & the skyline from I-37/10 intersection. Taken from MySA.com traffic cams. It's definitely making an impact density wise!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2007, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydoc14 View Post
Latest pic of the Grand Hyatt & the skyline from I-37/10 intersection. Taken from MySA.com traffic cams. It's definitely making an impact density wise!
Wow, it really is a wall.

When it's finished you won't be able to see the Marriotts from that angle.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2007, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
Wow, it really is a wall.

When it's finished you won't be able to see the Marriotts from that angle.
No, I think you'll still be able to see the Rivercenter.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2007, 4:08 AM

Kinda not totally related to the purpose of this thread, but I just checked out the traffic cams and web cams again, and some of the lights on ToA have gone out because it's barely lit. Somebody needs to replace the bulbs so it can be back to it's cool bright white self lighting up the night sky haha

Old Posted Aug 22, 2007, 3:46 PM

Quote:
No, I think you'll still be able to see the Rivercenter.
I don't see how. From that angle.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2007, 4:15 PM

Quote:

WOW, that thing is a giant! Too bad they couldn't have spent more on vertical and less on horizontal. But it's still pretty nice. Now I just can't wait to see pics of the other buildings going up (Vistana, Viddora, Broadway),

Old Posted Aug 22, 2007, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd View Post
I don't see how. From that angle.
Well it seems like it doesn't have very much left to go to reach the roof on the left side, and if you imagine a line drawn straight across you'll still be able to see some of the Rivercenter

Old Posted Aug 22, 2007, 5:51 PM

I agree they should of have gone higher then wider

Old Posted Aug 22, 2007, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtobias View Post
I agree they should of have gone higher then wider
I think, for once, I'm glad they didn't and here's why. From the 37/10 view, the trunk of (a better word escapes me at the moment) ToA would block say the cool, festive, and tall original design. From other angles, the tall one might have faded into to the backdrop of the ToA trunk. You know the original tall design was just as skinny as the new one. So, I think I'm happy that it's a wide monster because at least ToA and the Marriott Rivercenter don't block it from view. Besides the skyline is in desperate need of density. And, it's not 575' like the original design called for, but heck it's taller than Tower Life and almost as tall as the Weston Centre so it's ok in my book

Old Posted Aug 22, 2007, 6:25 PM

The latest traffic cam from today is zoomed out from yesterday's view, which I think makes the Grand Hyatt look even more impressive!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2007, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Well it seems like it doesn't have very much left to go to reach the roof on the left side, and if you imagine a line drawn straight across you'll still be able to see some of the Rivercenter
What floor are they on? I thought they still had at least 10 floors to go.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2007, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
What floor are they on? I thought they still had at least 10 floors to go.
I may be wrong but it looks like they've got almost all of the condo floors up on the left side, although the right side will have three more condo floors and be taller. Hmmmmm...in the least case I'd say the pyramids on the Rivercenter should be visible.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2007, 8:08 PM
The Space Pope

7 more floors to go I believe

Old Posted Aug 22, 2007, 8:32 PM

Can't wait to start seeing the glass go up on the condo levels..

Old Posted Aug 22, 2007, 9:32 PM
Meh

I'm also glad it wasn't taller since it would have meant blocking views from the Tower of the Americas. There will be other opportunities for sizable towers downtown. I guess if they had made the hotel taller, like the original plan and just move it farther east along the convention center it wouldn't have blocked views. But then it would be away from most of the activity in that area...Rivercenter Mall, farther from the Riverwalk and bulk of the convention center. At any rate, it's the first major highrise that I've physically seen go up in San Antonio, at least that I can remember.

Does anyone have an photos of San Antonio's skyline from 1979 or there abouts? I was born there in that year, I'd love to see a picture of it from around that time. The Tower Life Building would have been the tallest building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio