HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 10:33 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

btween hosting a music productions workshop and going to parlor for tea i am having good day today out and a bought doing writing and absorbing things

back and forth
wandering around
back and forth
music erupts
people gather
spaces emerge
life and time
teas a brewing
beats rising
life on streets flowing
weddings grow
in the square
in markets
erupt
in the street
while the hipsters gather on a busy st siting away
injoying a warm brew
on a day
that is beauty
and peace
as we wonder back and forth
from beat to streets

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 1:38 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpenner View Post
the areas with the highest concentration of mid to high rise residential buildings are centre town, golden triangle, byward market, sandy hill, all of which are outstanding neighbourhoods,

if your referring to areas like south keys i see your point.....

sorry for turning western expresso into eastern ontario expresso, will stop now
OK. I was thinking St Laurent/Donald, Elmvale, Heron Road, Lincoln Fields, Bayshore, Lees Ave...

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 4:48 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

and so the words flow

and flow

onto the desk they go

like a flow

they go and go

today tomarrow

they flow they flow

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 6:03 AM

I am posting this on the construction thread because everyone is guaranteed to read it.

It has come to my attention that photos that I recently posted on the National Forum focused on "Canadian Ghetto's" have offended a certain unanimous individual. Please, if there are any of you forumers who are offended at these pictures send me a PM so I will know for future reference. If they are reasonably offensive I will no longer post, but I would like to know the reasoning behind why you are offended before I make this decision. If there is an understandable rationale behind the objection, then I will be sure to remove my current pictures from the thread. If you are comfortable with it, we can turn this into a discussion/debate on Western Expresso. I will post this on there as well just in case.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 2:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
I am posting this on the construction thread because everyone is guaranteed to read it.

It has come to my attention that photos that I recently posted on the National Forum focused on "Canadian Ghetto's" have offended a certain unanimous individual. Please, if there are any of you forumers who are offended at these pictures send me a PM so I will know for future reference. If they are reasonably offensive I will no longer post, but I would like to know the reasoning behind why you are offended before I make this decision. If there is an understandable rationale behind the objection, then I will be sure to remove my current pictures from the thread. If you are comfortable with it, we can turn this into a discussion/debate on Western Expresso. I will post this on there as well just in case.
Nothing offensive about the photos, some people just don't like to be confronted by the truth I would guess.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 9:28 PM
I am a typical

I haven't looked at that thread but based on the above discussion, I'm assuming I am going to be appalled?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:

I didn't see anything wrong with the pictures you posted (it was good and added to the discussion more than anything) though I didn't see anyone blatantly offended either, unless some posts were removed or you got some PMs or something

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
I didn't see anything wrong with the pictures you posted (it was good and added to the discussion more than anything) though I didn't see anyone blatantly offended either, unless some posts were removed or you got some PMs or something
It was multiple PM's. And they made very, very clear that they were offended. I will allow them to remain anonymous but here is what was said.

Quote:
Is there any particular reason why you insist on posting a crapload of Winnipeg's poorer areas? Are you out to perpetuate the stereotype that the city is nothing but a ghetto? That is exactly what you are doing, you know, on a national level through this forum. In reading your posts, you seem to just focus on the negative of the city. I really don't understand people like you. Not a great embassador of the city.
Followed with this by me.

Quote:
You should go through my posts again then sir. I am posting about the areas that are in need of change on a forum meant to discuss the countries poorer areas. Are you trying to tell me that Winnipeg's North End is not one of the worst in the country? Because it is complete folly if you are. I have seen what this country has to offer, and the North End is in need of change.

Now at the same time, if you have ever taken the time to go through my posts you would also know that though it is bad on a Canadian level, I have always insisted that it is nothing compared to what even the US has to offer. I am not niave, and lived accross the river from detroit for some time. As well I follow up what happens in Citadel Juarez as well.

However, I am not ok with trying to hide the fact that the North End has problems. And why do I focus so intently on the negatives that happen in this city - though it is a long stretch to say I am always negative, as I consistently post about construction updates, my hopes for the future, pictures etc. - Because I am from the North End. I have friends who have been killed. I have friends who are in Prison. And I have friends who have fallen to drugs.

So whether it effects you or not in what ever area you live in, the problems that plague the North End may not be on the same scale as other, but they are very real, and very transparent when you live amongst them.

So without trying to be rude; please don't ever try to stop me from posting the truth again. Because that is what I am doing. I posted a map before my pictures to show where my pictures were taken, to point out that they are not just folly pictures of one half block out of an entire neighbourhood, but a problem that plagues an entire area.

I could either pretend that there is no problem - like yourself - or do something about it. And personally $**%(#, I would rather not lose another friend to problems that can be changed.

Is that a good enough response for you? If not, I can try and come up with a better one. Also an ambassador is supposed to change things for the better, in focusing on the things that need changing I am being more of an ambassador than you know.
And this by him.

Quote:
And what exactly is doing that here going to accomplish? How will it make the issue any better? All this will do here is stir up negative stereotypes of Winnipeg, and you have a few people going. Sorry, but I don't see the value in focusing on our warts, especially to the rest of the country on an internet chat forum. All it will do is make the city look like garbage, and that is exactly what is happening now.

Last edited by chrisallard5454; Sep 26, 2012 at 5:11 AM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 2:30 AM

not portraying the city in a negative light but a section of the city that is full of issues that need to be addressed. I would not worry about those offended as they probably have strong attachment to the area you photographed and just don't like seeing the reality of what is there. Not saying the entire North end is plagued with problems but there are parts that are facing serious dilemmas that will take a long time to solve.

"I feel like I've been living in a city with no children in it, a garden left for ruin by a millionaire inside of a private prison"

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 3:50 AM

Two things: you mean anonymous not unanimous.

What is expresso?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 4:05 AM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
What is expresso?
Explicit espresso.

Obviously.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 5:05 AM

Quote:

Just checked out your pics, nothing wrong with that. The north end has so much potential, and hopefully it can one day be realized. Selkirk Avenue has the bones to be one of Winnipeg's best mixed-use, commercial strips (just like it was in its glory days). Unfortunately, probably 90% of Winnipeggers have never walked down it...

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 6:18 AM

Quote:
It was multiple PM's. And they made very, very clear that they were offended. I will allow them to remain anonymous but here is what was said.
Some people will have different opinions. I don't know what that poster PMing you expected though, going into a "Canadian Ghetto" thread...and, in addition I agree with you that its a very real part of Winnipeg. In the end, there was nothing wrong with your pictures, it was entirely relevant to that thread and the point of that thread

I wouldn't take that message to heart nor personally, ignore those messages; oil on water. I've had friends shot and killed too so I understand how it can sting to hear someone who is seemingly unaware of what exactly the hell statements like that can mean. But sometimes you have to look beyond others' statements when they're born from ignorance. Like rrskylar said, some people can't face certain truths. You're a good ambassador in my book

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Just checked out your pics, nothing wrong with that. The north end has so much potential, and hopefully it can one day be realized. Selkirk Avenue has the bones to be one of Winnipeg's best mixed-use, commercial strips (just like it was in its glory days). Unfortunately, probably 90% of Winnipeggers have never walked down it...
One day, I truly hope that area gets the revitalization it deserves. Montreal went/is still going through something "akin" to that with Griffintown. Its not really akin culturally to the North End at all, but more so the revitalization part. Griffintown was a lower income, grisly area of the city, but now it is getting a nice influx of trendy youth and its turning into a hot area in the city to be in...sort of like an extension of Plateau (or like how the Exchange in Winnipeg is turning around in that direction more and more every day)

Would be amazing, if one day, the same could happen to the North End. Selkirk ave one of the hot streets in Winnipeg? I can certainly envision it...

The direction we're taking downtown in, is awesome. When I'm in the city, I love it. I can see the progression. When I'm in Calgary, I keep in touch with it because for all the tall buildings Calgary has (and as awesome as it is living near the busy downtown in Calgary - it is a great city) it still doesn't hold a candle to the "scene" in Winnipeg. Folks in Calgary never understand my love for Winnipeg

My opinion, of course.

Last edited by roccerfeller; Sep 26, 2012 at 6:32 AM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 9:04 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

calgary is starting to get a soul i noticed this summer but yea winnipegs got its thing we just need a better city councle and mayor

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 9:57 AM
Transit Nerd

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
calgary is starting to get a soul i noticed this summer but yea winnipegs got its thing we just need a better city councle and mayor
I was with you right up to "calgary is starting to get a soul...." calgary on what planet?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 3:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
Your right our current council is weak and our mayor is about as crooked as they come, his attachment to Shindico and the hiring of his best friend Sheegl borders on criminal. Don't give a hoot about Calgary, it's a nice place to drive through on the way to BC I guess.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Explicit espresso.

Obviously.
It is all starting to make sense now.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 6:12 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesplease View Post
I was with you right up to "calgary is starting to get a soul...." calgary on what planet?
i have been visiting this city since i was 5 i know the energy of the place well..

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 9:11 PM
Celebrating 50 Years

If anything, those posts on that page show how Winnipeg's ghettos are laughably nice in comparison to what most people consider to be ghettos.

Theres opportunity, for sure, and most people who look at those areas see it. Manitoba Ave, Magnus, Aberdeen.. all those streets.. there are some nice looking houses. Occasionally you get a fire or one torn down, but for the most part a new one is built sooner rather than later.

Most of the people who live in these areas are decent people. There are some bad apples that make the rest of them look bad. But for the most part, the people in that area like the area and don't consider it a true 'ghetto.'

It wasn't that long ago that the area had a different ethnic makeup and was bustling. It'll bounce back.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan