HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
i have been visiting this city since i was 5 i know the energy of the place well..
Calgary's great if you could draw a 2 km radius from the heart of downtown outward. The inner city is awesome (as I'm sure Roc would agree) - there are areas akin to River Heights, with tree canopies over the streets. There are ecclectic areas (Inglewood, Kensington) on par with the ones Winnipeg has to offer (e.g. Academy). 17th is great to hang out (and much longer than Corydon), and Stephen Ave is great during the summer. Prince's Island offers a great urban park in the heart of the city (although Eau Claire Market doesn't hold a candle to the Forks. And then the whole East Village area has seen an amazing turnaround over the past half-decade or so (and the momentum just keeps going). All that's connected by their very well maintained/continuous river front pathways and linear parks. However, once you get outside that awesome core, there isn't much (unless Lindenwoods, suburban strip malls, and big box power centres are your thing).

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 12:35 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Just checked out your pics, nothing wrong with that. The north end has so much potential, and hopefully it can one day be realized. Selkirk Avenue has the bones to be one of Winnipeg's best mixed-use, commercial strips (just like it was in its glory days). Unfortunately, probably 90% of Winnipeggers have never walked down it...
I'm not a Winnipegger and I've walked down it.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 12:47 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Calgary's great if you could draw a 2 km radius from the heart of downtown outward. The inner city is awesome (as I'm sure Roc would agree) - there are areas akin to River Heights, with tree canopies over the streets. There are ecclectic areas (Inglewood, Kensington) on par with the ones Winnipeg has to offer (e.g. Academy). 17th is great to hang out (and much longer than Corydon), and Stephen Ave is great during the summer. Prince's Island offers a great urban park in the heart of the city (although Eau Claire Market doesn't hold a candle to the Forks. And then the whole East Village area has seen an amazing turnaround over the past half-decade or so (and the momentum just keeps going). All that's connected by their very well maintained/continuous river front pathways and linear parks. However, once you get outside that awesome core, there isn't much (unless Lindenwoods, suburban strip malls, and big box power centres are your thing).
You also have to be a millionaire to own a house anywhere within that 2 km radius.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 3:47 PM
BANNED

The latest installment of; What's Slippery Shammy Up To:

THE DEAL: Shammy buys One Million Dollar Home for $10.00, yes ten dollars. http://156.42.40.50/UnOfficialDocs/pdf/20120791760.pdf

comment on the article first:

Katz was able to buy a $1 million home mortgage free? Just a few years earlier, in 2004, he had to get a mortgage for almost $800k to buy his previous "home away from home". In 2010 he sells his house (at a loss of almost $225k) and turns around and buys a much larger house and doesn't need a mortgage at all!

Coincidentally, Katz has been mayor since 2004. Looks like his financial picture has improved significantly since then.

the article: Katz takes possession of $1-M home from Shindleman's sibling

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...171518891.html

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 3:51 PM

we have no idea where the finances came from to purchase the house, (if it was purchased), so i don't think its fair to hint Katz's position as mayor allowed to conduct deals that allowed him to make a financial move of this caliber. Maybe he had some assets that he liquidated or something that were completely independent from anything related to being mayor.

That being said I am extremely interested to know where the bulk of this money came from and if the house was even purchased at the market value that was stated in the article. To bad that won't happen, as that is private stuff.

"I feel like I've been living in a city with no children in it, a garden left for ruin by a millionaire inside of a private prison"

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 3:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpenner View Post
we have no idea where the finances came from to purchase the house, (if it was purchased), so i don't think its fair to hint Katz's position as mayor allowed to conduct deals that allowed him to make a financial move of this caliber. Maybe he had some assets that he liquidated or something that were completely independent from anything related to being mayor.

That being said I am extremely interested to know where the bulk of this money came from and if the house was even purchased at the market value that was stated in the article. To bad that won't happen, as that is private stuff.
Who doesn't have $10.00, sure you might not have a Big Mac, Fries and Coke for lunch that day but it's a small price to pay to be able to afford a nice ranch house.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 3:57 PM

I won't adhere to any accusations until i see proof of how much Katz actually paid for the house.

"I feel like I've been living in a city with no children in it, a garden left for ruin by a millionaire inside of a private prison"

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 4:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I won't adhere to any accusations until i see proof of how much Katz actually paid for the house.
The price is moot, the story is who he purchased (sic) it from, for a guy who professes no direct involvement with either Shindico or the Shindleman's their name keeps popping up.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 4:31 PM

if he paid near market value or even a bit less for the property it should not make a difference who the people involved with the transaction are, even if their names keep popping up.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 4:47 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
if he paid near market value or even a bit less for the property it should not make a difference who the people involved with the transaction are, even if their names keep popping up.
It matters if they are related at all to Shindico. Which in this case they are.

The city has an obvious preferential policy with this developer that can only look worse if our mayor (who has professed no personal relationship with these people) is now buying houses privately from this developer's immediate family.

The smoke is pouring out of all these City of Winnipeg-Katz-Shindico-Sheegl deals. Where there is smoke there will be fire.

I really hope this firehall property swap fiasco gets a fair audit - so we can douse the flames. So to speak.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesplease View Post
I was with you right up to "calgary is starting to get a soul...." calgary on what planet?
Its not Winnipeg in terms of culture and arts, thats for sure, but this is an obtuse statement. I think Bdog gives a nice run down of what "soul" Calgary has to offer. Its a different beast than the Peg.

Quote:
Pretty much

I'm mainly in Calgary for business, but it has a ton to offer as well. Its a different city than Winnipeg, so it can't be directly compared, but to deny it has any "soul" is misguided on that poster's end. Nice breakdown, btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
You also have to be a millionaire to own a house anywhere within that 2 km radius.
haha...or drowning in debt..though the two could be one and the same

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
It matters if they are related at all to Shindico. Which in this case they are.

The city has an obvious preferential policy with this developer that can only look worse if our mayor (who has professed no personal relationship with these people) is now buying houses privately from this developer's immediate family.

The smoke is pouring out of all these City of Winnipeg-Katz-Shindico-Sheegl deals. Where there is smoke there will be fire.

I really hope this firehall property swap fiasco gets a fair audit - so we can douse the flames. So to speak.
well the audit got voted through, whether it is for 5 years or dating back to 2000 is still to be debated. Hopefully some substantive information will be produced that can give the real picture of whats happening.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 5:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Do you trouble seeing the forest for the trees? Give your head a shake, Katz is a business partner (Goldeye's) with the Shindlemans who own Shindico who appear to be involved in any land deal involving the city and you think it's purely coincidental than Shammy receives a sweetheart deal on a home in Arizona from the sister-in-law of one of the Shindlemans.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 6:31 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
ur missing the point he paid 10 $ hows 10$ market value for something worth a million... someone should prolly be contacting the irs about fishy money and cra

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 7:21 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
ur missing the point he paid 10 $ hows 10$ market value for something worth a million... someone should prolly be contacting the irs about fishy money and cra
zillow.com is showing that the house changed hands this week for just over $1.2 million.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/18...82827986_zpid/

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
zillow.com is showing that the house changed hands this week for just over $1.2 million.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/18...82827986_zpid/
I probably shouldn't be saying this online, but I purchased my car for 1850.00. On paper it was purchased for 500.00 (to lower my licensing fees). The same can happen with a house purchase in reverse. Just saying. I don't know enough about the scenario to have a direct input. But just because it says something on paper, doesn't mean it is or isn't true.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 7:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
I probably shouldn't be saying this online, but I purchased my car for 1850.00. On paper it was purchased for 500.00 (to lower my licensing fees). The same can happen with a house purchase in reverse. Just saying. I don't know enough about the scenario to have a direct input. But just because it says something on paper, doesn't mean it is or isn't true.
So two wrongs make a right? Because of people who do things like you did MPIC now assigns values on vehicles for insurance and sales tax purposes.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
So two wrongs make a right? Because of people who do things like you did MPIC now assigns values on vehicles for insurance and sales tax purposes.
This was done in Ontario, and therefore has no bearing on MPIC (especially considering I haven't owned a car, ever in Manitoba). I know now that this is wrong. But it was also four years ago. I was 15, stupid, and broke. I couldn't afford plates, so the guy I bought it from suggested I put the price as 500.00.

I got what I deserved, because it turns out the car was falsely safetied, and the reason that the guy wanted me to put 500.00 on paper wasn't to save me money, but so that when I went looking for a refund, it would only cost him 500.00. I couldn't find him anyways, and the car only lasted a month. Needless to say I learned my lesson a long time ago, and the lecture is not needed.

The point was that Katz could have done the exact same thing (but opposite) to hide his tracks.

There was no moral point here defending him or myself. I know now what I did was wrong, and if that is what Katz did (though I am not saying it is) it is just as wrong.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Do you trouble seeing the forest for the trees? Give your head a shake, Katz is a business partner (Goldeye's) with the Shindlemans who own Shindico who appear to be involved in any land deal involving the city and you think it's purely coincidental than Shammy receives a sweetheart deal on a home in Arizona from the sister-in-law of one of the Shindlemans.
Katz has gone on record saying he paid 1 million in cash for the house, do i believe him? yes i do

A sweetheart deal then? Not very

I still don't see what your point is, I could care less what his connections to the shindlemans are, he paid market value for one of their properties, whats the issue with that?

Say what you want about other land deals, which are legitimate causes for concern, but you can't use this particular story.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2012, 11:49 PM

Haha...sad I missed the Bat Signal last night.

http://www.newstalk980.com/story/bat...xplained/77391

Also sad I didn't think of it first...lol

Last edited by BrannyMuffin; Sep 29, 2012 at 12:01 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan