HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Aug 3, 2008, 11:39 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Price increases are fueled by an increase in demand with improvements in the economy, or at least perceived imporvements. Also increased construction and labour costs are a factor. Prices here haved lagged behind too, and are catching up. One encouraging thing is that values have increased proportionately more for the downtown residential areas.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2008, 1:51 PM
Harbour Passage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Price increases are fueled by an increase in demand with improvements in the economy, or at least perceived imporvements.
I completely agree with you.

My only point is that, particularly for the younger adult segments of the population, the "demand" is in part due to a choreographed and engineered sense of urgency to quickly commit to buy bigger and better homes & spend more money than they can easily / really afford (i.e., they get sucked into lower monthly mortgages spread out over a longer period of time, and as a result quietly lose 10's if not 100's of thousands in interest over the life of the mortgage...and this all assume that the economy continues to improve, which of course is never the case...things cycles). Realtors work on commission, and so have vested interests in inflated housing prices continuing ("If you don't buy now, this same house will cost you 20% more in a year!!"....the sales pitches usually don't incorporate the reality of an inevitable slowdown / reversal of the current trend), as do the builders, contractors, etc, etc.

The housing/ sub prime mortgage crisis in the States is really a testament to just how precarious the "Good Times" really are. As the realities of a slowing national economy finally catch up, the result is a million homes in foreclosure.

I guess all I'm trying to say is that in both cities some of the record setting increased hosing prices is reflective of the underlying healthy economies and some is an exagerated and inflated bubble that sooner or later will deflate.

- Harry S Truman

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 3:15 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

^ I agree there is always speculation involved too. I wonder how many people are actually moving to the city in comparison to the number of house sales and new construction. If the demand is created by an influx of people, there is no speculation involved. It seems to me that there is a high proportion of private home rentals (homes bought on spec and rented out) in SJ's; there is a demand because there are relatively few apartment buildings (historically) in the city for its size.

Article:

Many people post positive articles about their cities on SSP, so here's excerpts from one recently in the Vancouver Sun which rang true to me.

Quote:
Beauty and history combined
The view from Signal Hill in St. John's, N.L., brings to mind events of the past, both ancient and recent

After attending a conference in St. John's, N.L. I used a final free day to go on a boat tour out of the city's harbour. I followed this up with a walking tour of the famous Signal Hill, which overlooks the city. What was seen and experienced this day was a mixture of breathtaking beauty and honoured history that I would recommend to any Canadian.

It was on Signal Hill that I stood and marvelled. Directly in front of me lay the gorgeous Atlantic Ocean, frothing in the sun and wind, with an outgoing fishing boat bouncing on the waves. To the right and left, were towering, rocky cliffs being pounded by ocean surf. In the distance, to the right, lay the protruding expanse of Cape Spear with its traditional lighthouses. Directly behind me were the historic Signal Hill tower and the location where Marconi revolutionized communications technology. Finally, further back, were the historic town of St. John's and its sublime ocean harbour.

At that moment, as I stood in sun and ferocious wind, surrounded by history and beauty, I couldn't imagine being in a more wonderful place.

William Lindsay lives in Victoria BC.

Entire article here:
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...e-c0c7fe0389c7

Last edited by Architype; Aug 5, 2008 at 3:36 AM.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 4:10 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/newfoundlan...ge-street.html

Quote:

Famous George Street may get makeover, city of St. John's says

Last Updated: Wednesday, August 6, 2008 | 10:10 AM NT Comments20Recommend17

CBC News

An artist's sketch of a more family-friendly George Street.An artist's sketch of a more family-friendly George Street. (City of St. John's)

The city of St. John's will reveal in September its plan to make George Street, its famous bar district, a more family-friendly downtown centre.

The street is known for its wall to wall nightclubs and pubs, as well as yearly festivals such as Mardi Gras in October and the summertime George Street Festival.

Revelry on the street, as people make their way from bar to bar and home again, has often prompted late-night noise complaints from downtown residential neighbourhoods. Litter that accumulates at night and remains on the street under the harsh light of day has also been a concern.

Officials with the city of St. John's said they want to give George Street a family-friendly makeover. Ken O'Brien, manager of planning with the city, said the concept is to turn the street into an outdoor experience.
George Street in downtown St. John's in its current form.George Street in downtown St. John's in its current form. (CBC)

"[We have] different ideas to make it more friendly throughout the day, as well as into the evening," O'Brien said.

Artists' sketches of a new George Street include new pavement, more patios and a farmers market.
Tourists not sold

Tony Pasula, a tourist from Calgary, said he heard about George Street's reputation long before he arrived in St. John's, and he couldn't wait to visit it. Having finally experienced it, he said he's not sure an overhaul is the way to go.

"I sure like what I see right now," he said. "And I think sprucing it up too much might take away from what it is."

The city of St. John's is scheduled to hold a public meeting on Sept. 23 to unveil the proposed changes and hear input.
:ugh: Just leave George Street alone!

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 9:57 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

That sould be a great improvement as long as it's in keeping with a traditional feel. The area can use something that will appeal in the daytime. The most important thing would be to put the power lines underground. Maybe the old stone building at the end of the street could be used for a farmers market. As you get more upscale people living downtown, you need more family friendly services within walking distance.

"Artists' sketches of a new George Street include new pavement, more patios and a farmers market."

Last edited by Architype; Aug 6, 2008 at 10:29 PM.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 10:34 PM

A 'friendly' George Street? Isn't that an oxymoron - after all, there was nothing kind about what George Street did to my liver.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 10:35 AM
arf

I didn't know Newfoundland knew how to bury power lines.

Just because you're going for a drink or two doesn't mean you have to litter and be abusive to the entire neighbourhood. But then I've never been a loud drunk even when I've had way too much. The street could certainly be kept cleaner by patrons, but I've walked down it early eveningish (the 3:30pm to 7:00pm time range) and it's nice. Not really that bad to bring the family for a bite to eat or wander.

What are they going to do about the clubs at the West end of George Street in keeping with the family friendly concept?

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 11:57 AM
Harbour Passage User

Quote:
That sould be a great improvement as long as it's in keeping with a traditional feel. The area can use something that will appeal in the daytime. The most important thing would be to put the power lines underground. Maybe the old stone building at the end of the street could be used for a farmers market. As you get more upscale people living downtown, you need more family friendly services within walking distance.

"Artists' sketches of a new George Street include new pavement, more patios and a farmers market."

Something needs to be done with the area, and I think that this is a step in the right direction. Having driven down past the area last saturday around 730am and seen the strewn bottles and what appeaed to be glass from multiple broken car windows clear down to atlantic place in the wake of the "George Street Festival", I was thankful that I was not a resident of the area within about 5 blocks of George Street.

The area is very unique and has a ton to offer , but it does seem to get a little too out of hand a little too often in the wee hours of the morning.

I think sprucing the area up a bit and catering more to all ages during the afternoons is a fine idea before switching to more adult oriented entertainment at night; in the end though, a little more control is probably warranted after midnight (enforcing noise bylaws, addressing the numerous alcohol related infringements, etc, etc)

just my 2 cents.

- Harry S Truman

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 11:59 AM
Harbour Passage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
What are they going to do about the clubs at the West end of George Street in keeping with the family friendly concept?

LOL!!! Good point...since Siren's moved in there, it's quickly turning into the highest density of strip clubs this side of Montreal

- Harry S Truman

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 12:17 PM
arf

Photos by me, the whole thread was here.

George Street could use more ATMs.

Some frontages could be cleaned up. Some sort of signage restraint might be good. Here's an example of what I'll call crappy signage. I don't have any problems with the structure, the clapboard siding is reasonably traditional, but it's like a personal vanity page from the early 90s with the usage of every font they could find. All they need is some fllashing fonts and some background music:

Example of better signage (if not a bit hackneyed and stereotypical):

I'd like to lose the beer advertisement plastic flag streamers as well. Seriously, it's trailer park or at least first year residence party.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 4:20 PM
Harbour Passage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Photos by me, the whole thread was here.

Some frontages could be cleaned up.

Example of better signage (if not a bit hackneyed and stereotypical):

I'd like to lose the beer advertisement plastic flag streamers as well. Seriously, it's trailer park or at least first year residence party.
lol...depends on the trailer park, and on the residence

you're right...the amount of plastic does very much cheapen the look...there is a lot of potential room for improvement for relatively little $$ needed to be spent..

- Harry S Truman

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 3:43 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

The St. John's housing market is still hot:

Quote:
Can't Build 'em Fast Enough - Aug 11, 2008

Canada Mortgage and Housing says the demand for new homes in the St.John's area has reached an exceptional level. So far this year, there have been about 100 more housing starts in the province over this time last year, an increase of 12 per cent. Of the 959 housing starts, 830 were in the St.John's metro area. Chris Janes, senior market analyst with CMHC, says a bustling local economy, positive net-migration to the area and stable consumer confidence have been the key factors to date. Janes says new-home construction is limited only by the number of builders available, due to a very tight labour market for skilled trades, especially plumbers and electricians. Prices are up by about 20 per cent over 2007, and he expects prices to be another 15 per cent or so higher by this time next year.
http://www.vocm.com/news.asp?Category=Newfoundland

Old Posted Aug 16, 2008, 12:34 PM

I'd LOVE a farmer's market here in St. John's............

My friend is finding it hard to rent a one bedroom apt here. It seems the demand is skyrocketing.

It's a nice day here! Sun+ Nikon D50 + new car = photos.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuks View Post
Here's a render of the hotel proposal:

Click for bigger image
Interesting, I hope the design will look similar to the Marriot on Duckworth, which blends in nicely. Allthough I would also like a combination of the two styles, not just "heritage" or "modern." A nice fusion, perhaps.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2008, 3:48 PM

Here are some new photos- August 17, 2008. Taken around St. John's.

Rawlins Cross area

Inside the site

Newer condos going up- sorry forgot the name. Pretty big development for St. John's, as seen from parking lot off Torbay Road.

Retirement condos

More soon!

Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 1:15 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Thanks for the picture updates. It's great to see things during the construction phase. The highrise building I think is called Tiffany Court, and I believe there are more phases, maybe similar, planned for there. The last picture is the Kennys Pond Retirement residence.

Notice that they often don't use any tower cranes in Newfoundland, but mobile cranes instead. That may be because of lack of availibility, and the frequent high wind conditions. However I have seen tower cranes used in the larger construction projects.

Last edited by Architype; Aug 18, 2008 at 5:12 AM.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 5:29 PM
Harbour Passage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canasian View Post
Here are some new photos- August 17, 2008. Taken around St. John's.

Rawlins Cross area

!

nice pics!

what is the building going up @ Rawlin's Cross????

- Harry S Truman

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 5:30 PM
Harbour Passage User

Hebron Development About to Get Green Light

August 19, 2008

After a couple of years of ups and downs, a deal on another offshore development will be signed tomorrow at the Fairmont. Premier Danny Williams, Natural Resources Minister Kathy Dunderdale, Mark Nelson of Chevron Canada, Ed Martin of Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro, Glenn Scott of ExxonMobil, Alan Brown of Petro Canada and Bruce Brummitt of StatoilHydro will all be on hand for the big event. It takes place at 12 noon at the Fairmont.

*sic*

full article on the VOCM website

http://www.vocm.com/news-info.asp?id=30641

- Harry S Truman

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 5:19 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostModernPrometheus View Post
nice pics!

what is the building going up @ Rawlin's Cross????
It's this one:
http://www.18lives.ca/

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 3:17 PM
Harbour Passage User

Thumbs up

Quote:
It's this one:
http://www.18lives.ca/

very encouraging & progessive idea...and the renderings look grand - should fit in nicely to the area.

- Harry S Truman

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's