HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 4, 2007, 11:27 PM
high expectations

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
I have made my share of critical remarks about certain aspects of Winnipeg's mindset both politically and economically. For those comments I have been called a Winnipeg hater... which could not be farther from the truth.

Winninpeg is not perfect.. and nobody here has said it is. There is room for improvements in multiple aspects heading forward.
I truly agree with you, the whole city (as in everycity) can and should be doing a lot better...

Newflyer you put a lot of great ideas on the table but who really knows if these ideas will ever get accomplished ....

My Hoar Frost Photo Thread (Feb 2012).

Old Posted Sep 4, 2007, 11:28 PM
high expectations

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post

AWSOME!!!!!

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 12:29 AM

Nice pictures.

I've yet to see any of these disparaging remarks allegedly directed at Winnipeg by Alberta forumers. Could someone direct me to them?

I challenge all Winnipeg forumers not to make any comments about Calgary or Edmonton whatsoever for a month, unless of course they are in the Alberta section of the Forum.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 1:02 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

lol i miss having the west as one giant subform :'(

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12196545@N03/1316020299/

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 1:03 AM
video et taceo

wow - that's quite a tree canopy.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 1:09 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

it sure as hell is

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 3:37 AM

like the trees...anyone need my rake?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 3:49 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

aww why would we rake the leaves they insulate the ground witch slows the frost line down when it dips below -30 witch helps prevent water main brakes............

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
aww why would we rake the leaves they insulate the ground witch slows the frost line down when it dips below -30 witch helps prevent water main brakes............
That may be true but the leaves also contribute to that awful smell of the water during the spring run off that can last well into the summer depending on where you live and how low the rivers get. I spent three years in Calgary and could never drink a hot tea in a restaurant due to the smell from the hot tap water in the tea pot. This was due to the fact that the foliage which lingers causes issues with the water in the Glenmore reservoir...I was happy that my office Calgary had hot bottled water on tap...as for Edmonton, they used to have that problem but solved it by digging an expensive intake pipe to draw water to the downtown waterworks under the river far upstream from the street outfall sewers.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 6:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
I'd say IntotheWest is one of the more fair and balanced people on this forum.
Thanks CCF - glad to hear!

I've learned a few rules to live by on here: 1) respect all other opinions, 2) I'm not always right ;-) and 3) back-up any claims with data, examples or solid personal experience/observations.

I come to this forum to share ideas, and mostly, learn - about others viewpoints, news, and of course construction and skyscrapers. I likely wouldn't leave the Alberta or Canada forums, but I am genuinely interested in what happens in Winnipeg - as well as Regina, as I think that is a great city with great potential as well.

As for the ped discussion, yes, Van's streets are the best in the west...however, though I somewhat agree with Newflyer's comment about the +15's needed because of the winter weather, as I mentioned before Banff Ave easily has the most ped-traffic in the prairie provinces - and that includes winter. My wife and I go there for a couple days every year around Christmas (anywhere from Nov to the last week of Dec), and we're always amazed at the ped-traffic...and this is low season. Having spent 2 years in downtown Van, I would say it is very close to Robson in the same months. In fact, it's busy enough that stores usually stay open well past 9pm. In my opinion, this is enough to suggest that even with a couple/few weeks of real cold weather in Calgary (Banff is slightly colder on average), +15s could be removed (or, partially)...as the ped-traffic on streets like Stephen Ave and 17th - even in winter - is quite good.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 5:20 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild wild west View Post
Nice pictures.

I challenge all Winnipeg forumers not to make any comments about Calgary or Edmonton whatsoever for a month
And I redirect this challenge to the Alberta forumers in regards to Winnipeg (mainly Edmonton and Calgary, but ESPECIALLY Calgary )

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 7:15 PM

^In the Alberta forums? Not sure the Peg comes up much at all (do you know of any threads for examples?).

Many Alberta forumers come to the MB/Sask thread since they grew-up, or spent a lot of time there...like me, and not unlike yourself (and Newflyer).

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 7:35 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
wow - that's quite a tree canopy.
Yes, it is. You can have one too -- after you've started playing in Mayor mode, press ctrl+alt+shift, then when you click on God Mode, it will open. Then select the tree planting tool, and hold 'shift' while using it to cover the city in trees.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 8:24 PM
high expectations

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWest View Post
Many Alberta forumers come to the MB/Sask thread since they grew-up, or spent a lot of time there...like me, and not unlike yourself (and Newflyer).

The only ones who really seem to 'pound the peg' are really:

90% ppl who are born here
10% the idiots who drive around looking at stupid shit

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 8:33 PM
video et taceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs
the ground witch slows the frost line down.

sounds useful; wish the church hadn't done away with ours.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 8:43 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWest View Post
^In the Alberta forums? Not sure the Peg comes up much at all (do you know of any threads for examples?).

Well, why should there be restrictions for the Winnipeg forumers and not the Calgary or Edmonton ones? Albertans come here and critique to their hearts content, yet if a Manitoban would do the same thing there, they would get mocked. I think the Winnipeg forumers (and Winnipeggers in general) take a lot of crap from other forumers (and even more from Canadians in general life) from other parts of the country, being the brunt of national jokes and what not.

Its time to be proud of where we grew up. It's time to make changes in order to get Winnipeg to reach it's full potential. I have unlimited confidence that, with the right people in charge of course, this city can become something that the rest of Canada will RESPECT (do you hear me Canada? That's right, I said RESPECT), and maybe envy a little .

And let me tell you something; I am NOT afraid to boast about my city for any reason whatsoever. I couldn't give a rat's ass about what other people think of me. I'm proud of where I come from and I ain't afraid to show it! I will stand up and speak out for my hometown no matter what.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 8:53 PM
Robot Hand is the Future

Quote:
the ground witch slows the frost line down.
poetic, kinda like:

I know of some folks that'd be set up
At having in their town a noted witch:
But most would have to think of the expense
That even I would be.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 8:54 PM
high expectations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
I think the Winnipeg forumers (and Winnipeggers in general) take a lot of crap from other forumers (and even more from Canadians in general life) from other parts of the country, being the brunt of national jokes and what not.

I will stand up and speak out for my hometown no matter what.

I think saskatchewan has aways had the bad rep ...

btw, u didnt stand up for winnipeg before, if somthing was obviously wronge...

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 9:05 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-MAN View Post
btw, u didnt stand up for winnipeg before, if somthing was obviously wronge...
Right, because I kept my mouth shut during the whole Waterlooson fiasco.

Anyways, I went too far with that; I let him get on my nerves. I think we've all learned (from me probably, lol) not to feed trolls.

My point being is for someone to tell me that I shouldn't be proud of where I come from is ludicrous. No matter where you are from, you ARE entitle to feel some pride for goodness sakes.

BTW, between you and Adrian, we have a good photo collection going, and now with my new digital camera, the next time I get home I'm going to do some "exploring" myself.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 10:12 PM

^Greco, other than your example of the one forumer above, what other Alberta forumers do come on here and talk bad about the Peg? List names if you have to. But, the same is NOT true about the Alberta threads...I can't think of any threads in which the Alberta forumers were bashing the Peg. Just doesn't happen. Those Alberta forumers who are not from the Peg, don't care, and those that are like the Peg.

From what I understood as to your situation, you may be dwelling in AB as well...so, why would it be okay for you to live in AB yet be "proud" of being from the Peg, while it wouldn't be for others?

I think there's a chip on some shoulders here...because, I don't think anyone else has said you shouldn't be proud (other than perhaps Waterlooson, or whatever) - I think you automatically come to a defense that's not necessary.

If you are running into people in AB that do put down MB - which frankly, wouldn't surprise me - I'd be surprised if they are from Winnipeg. I have many Winnipeg friends and colleagues now living in AB, and all still like it there. However, if it's made you bitter/defensive on these forums, it's somewhat understandable. I had the same problem when I worked in Toronto, and again in Vancouver - and listened to the Edmonton or Calgary bashing...it made me defensive toward the TO/Van forumers on here - until I realized they seem to be a little better informed :-)

Anyways - hope this whole vs thing can be put to rest, and the threads continue with meaningful discussions :-)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan