HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 2, 2007, 6:47 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Comparative Boasting

I had to start a new thread because the Winnipeg Photos thread was Closed...

Marc B said, on the Winnipeg Photos thread (post #103):

Quote:
By the way, comparative boasting, imo, is petty, small, and counter-productive. I don't understand why it occurs so often in these threads?
It's a guy thing Marc. Guys are biologically competitive and that's the way it's supposed to be.

If guys weren't competitive, there would be no race to the new tallest/highest skyscraper, would there?

Read Michael Gurian's book,
The Wonder of Boys for more info.

Last edited by LilZebra; Sep 2, 2007 at 6:58 AM.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2007, 7:11 AM
I am a typical

See my signature.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2007, 7:14 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Amen, bro.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2007, 4:35 PM
ABOVE people like you

Let the big 3 move on together

We are well on our way, now if we can just get newflyer and J-Man to stop using half truth information, back handed compliments in newflyers case, no data attached to half baked suggestions, and stretching things into other things that they aren't we will have some great posts. Calgary, Edmonton, and Winnipeg have to stop scrapping each other as they share, so many commonalities, unique in their own ways, and people that move back and forth.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2007, 6:38 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

lol yea each city is unique in its own way and all have been a boom town........ 2 are curently while one is climbing outa a hole of mismanigment it was in for what 50 years?.......

all three cities have river trail systems they have sprawl issues, they have unique skylines
i could keep on going.............

Old Posted Sep 2, 2007, 6:43 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB-MAN View Post
We are well on our way, now if we can just get newflyer and J-Man to stop using half truth information, back handed compliments in newflyers case, no data attached to half baked suggestions, and stretching things into other things that they aren't we will have some great posts. Calgary, Edmonton, and Winnipeg have to stop scrapping each other as they share, so many commonalities, unique in their own ways, and people that move back and forth.
Which half truths.. back handed compliments .. and half baked suggestions are you refering too??? ... I would be more than interested in these hald truths... the proximity of the metro area to the lakes??? ... please give this sad dispute a rest. Stats Can determines the metro area ... if you want to dispute it.. take it up with them. They draw the maps .. not me. Perhaps there are just a few extremely sensitive people who can stand to see Winnipegers who are proud of a great city... and are more than willing to say so.

I have said that Edmonton and Calgary both have there own attributes.. Calgary's economy is the envy of the nation ... no doubt.. and Edmonton is also doing very well. What I am tired of is Albertans who look down on other cities, because they don't benefit from $72/bbl oil. Please keep those facts straight.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2007, 2:59 AM
high expectations

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
What I am tired of is Albertans who look down on other cities, because they don't benefit from $72/bbl oil. Please keep those facts straight.

1) ahem, newflyer get the hell over here and take controll

2)
Quote:
Intothewest
lived and breathed the city in a week?
sha boy, during the summer when tourist activity, and city activity are at their highest....

anyways I dont want u becoming another (waterloo son)

so... PEACE

My Hoar Frost Photo Thread (Feb 2012).

Old Posted Sep 3, 2007, 4:19 AM

^Huh?

I think the point here is that for no good reason, you had to make a remark of how you believe Winnipeg has better ped-traffic than Calgary - a point that I didn't agree with (but, acknowledged that both are good), and your judgement was based on "living and breathing" the city in a week. Seems...well...a little short of a visit to make such a statement.

Anyway, why bother making such a statement to begin with? There was nothing in that past thread that even prompted that - so, you can't be surprised that some are going to call BS on such a statement.

@Newflyer - it's also tiring with the couple/few Winnipegers thinking every Albertan is out to get'em ;-) It's just so far from the truth...and at least a vast majority of the Winnipeg forumers know this.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2007, 4:27 AM
video et taceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj_wpg
If guys weren't competitive, there would be no race to the new tallest/highest skyscraper, would there?
boasting about a personal accomplishment is different than boasting about simply residing in close proximity to the recent achievements of others.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2007, 4:29 AM
video et taceo

double post.

Last edited by kool maudit; Sep 3, 2007 at 4:40 AM.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2007, 4:30 AM
video et taceo

triple post.

Last edited by kool maudit; Sep 3, 2007 at 4:40 AM.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2007, 4:41 AM
Canadian Urbanite

I'd say IntotheWest is one of the more fair and balanced people on this forum.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2007, 7:37 AM
I am a typical

Indeed, I've never been given any reason to not like him.

From what I've seen in pictures (Thunder Bay is the biggest city I've ever been to, but I do live in the densest part of it) Winnipeg looks like it has a better walking atmosphere than Calgary, but Calgary is quickly improving and will blow Winnipeg out of the water soon. Winnipeg has a great asset but like Thunder Bay, is doing very little to capitalize on it. Probably that post-boom era mindset. I think our problem is we see our selves as being past our prime, and subconsciously consider our cities to be unable to attract people and businesses in the way they once did, which is a terrible mindset. Perhaps in 50 or 60 years, when Calgary has lost much of it's raison-d'être, they may suffer a similar affliction.

I don't know if what I made makes any sense but I stand by it.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2007, 7:58 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Yes, some kinds of pride are a little strange.

One of the things that annoys me about this forum is that the vast majority of people avoid saying anything negative about anywhere, so instead of real discussions threads become strings of boring platitudes.

I would estimate that roughly 70% of the time when somebody is chewed out for saying something negative it was, nevertheless, entirely truthful.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2007, 8:15 AM
I am a typical

I try to bash my city as much as possible but I'll admit most of it is tongue in cheek.

Though I also have to admit that considering what I've heard about Simpson-Ogden, it isn't anywhere near as bad as people think it is. It isn't the Manhattan's lower east side or anything, but it isn't Winnipeg's north end either, at least this part of it. Down by Cumming and Victoria it gets pretty bad.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2007, 5:35 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Yes, some kinds of pride are a little strange.

One of the things that annoys me about this forum is that the vast majority of people avoid saying anything negative about anywhere, so instead of real discussions threads become strings of boring platitudes.

I would estimate that roughly 70% of the time when somebody is chewed out for saying something negative it was, nevertheless, entirely truthful.
I have made my share of critical remarks about certain aspects of Winnipeg's mindset both politically and economically. For those comments I have been called a Winnipeg hater... which could not be farther from the truth.

Winninpeg is not perfect.. and nobody here has said it is. There is room for improvements in multiple aspects heading forward.

This does not mean in anyway that Winnipeg does not have alot to be proud of.. nor should Peggers be silient when others try to slame our city for no good reason. Winnipeg is really gaining alot of momentum... and activity is really taking off .. especially in the downtown area.

I just wonder if someone suggested to the people in the Toronto or the Vancouver Forum .. or Calgary forum that they should keep the huge civic egos in check .. if it would have been accepted.

Perhaps some Winnipegers have been talked into thinking that bragging about our city is wrong.

I guess thats one of the differences between Winnipeg and Calgary.

Last edited by newflyer; Sep 3, 2007 at 7:14 PM.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2007, 6:46 PM

[QUOTE=IntotheWest;3045415]^Huh?

Quote:
I think the point here is that for no good reason, you had to make a remark of how you believe Winnipeg has better ped-traffic than Calgary - a point that I didn't agree with (but, acknowledged that both are good), and your judgement was based on "living and breathing" the city in a week. Seems...well...a little short of a visit to make such a statement.
I think that the winner in the pedestrian traffic has got to be Vancouver. The weather in that city lends itself to good street level traffic.

As for Calgary, Edmonton and Winnipeg, I would think that they are all about the same as far as pedestrian traffic. Depends on the time of day, if anything is going on downtown, the weather etc etc.

Calgary does not have as much street level traffic due to the +15 second floor pedway system. That system has, as in Edmonton, taken away the necessity to make the street level nothing more then a way to enter the buildings and move along the +15 system. Truly, in the business core in Calgary, there will never be much street level pedestrian traffic. Toronto's business core is much the same. Edmonton has lots of underground pedways which carry lots of the pedestrian traffic in the downtown core. (since it is the only city in the prairies that has a "subway").

I think all three cities could do a way better job of concentrating on the main pedestrian streets in the cities, Stephen Avenue Mall in Calgary, Portage Avenue in Winnipeg and Jasper Avenue in Edmonton. All three cities should concentrate on trying to encourage street level pedestrian friendly retail, clean up the nasty parts of the Avenues, if needed, ensure first floor retail in all new developments that go up to encourage people to come out and create a reason to use the Avenues all year long.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2007, 7:24 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
I think all three cities could do a way better job of concentrating on the main pedestrian streets in the cities, Stephen Avenue Mall in Calgary, Portage Avenue in Winnipeg and Jasper Avenue in Edmonton. All three cities should concentrate on trying to encourage street level pedestrian friendly retail, clean up the nasty parts of the Avenues, if needed, ensure first floor retail in all new developments that go up to encourage people to come out and create a reason to use the Avenues all year long.

In Winnipeg's case things are really picking up on Portage Avenue. With the new MTS Centre and the large Manitoba Hydro Head Office building under construction two blocks away. This will enhance the pedestrian traffic on the south-side of Portage day and night. The northside of this massive avenue is still struggling with too many un-utilzed buildings.. and a perception of being unsafe.

With that being said .. the skywalks .. pedways .. +15's .. are a fact of life among the winter pararie cities (Winnipeg, Calgary & Edmonton). Commerical activity will be less active on street level if all the people are using the skywalk system.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2007, 1:58 AM
Robot Hand is the Future

Jim, I can't decide if I'm flattered or creeped out that you started a new discussion with an off-hand remark I made in a post from a locked thread. But, I don't feel flattered.

For the record, I enjoy my city on its own terms without needing to dwell endlessly on how all of its parts stack up against other communities, or to express arrogantly its superiority against all rivals. I guess this part of the comment's on topic, it's hard to tell.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2007, 3:17 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc B. View Post
I enjoy my city on its own terms without needing to dwell endlessly on how all of its parts stack up against other communities, or to express arrogantly its superiority against all rivals.
That's truly the mark of living in a confident city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan