Comcast Innovation & Technology Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 2:46 AM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
How many moths and junebugs does that giant zapper kill on an average night?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
The main point of the ACC was to attract a major company to Center City such as TD Bank, GSK, BlackRock, Sunoco, and even GE if the developer had some insight to even attract the state gov’t as a major co-tenant as well. It had nothing to do with the design, it’s height, or even the economy at the time, since the ACC already had privately dedicated funding, the only thing that contributed to the ACC’s demise was the city and state govt’s reluctance to support the tower (remember Vince Fumo) and NIMBYS.

It wasn’t just another super tall, the ACC was the potential to attract another major company to Philadelphia. We can’t rely on the success of Comcast for so long, especially since AT&T purchased TimeWarner and being a cable company isn’t going to cut it in the upcoming 2020’s! It’s just another missed opportunity of not just getting a magnificent tower, but another major company, and I’m not too confident of Amazon coming to the city, neither.
You're replying to a post from over two weeks ago. Just like the ACC, you need to let this conversation go. It's dead.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 5:35 AM

From the air

I flew into Philly a few weeks ago, for the first time since CTC was mostly finished. I've always though that it's little more that an uninspired pile of Legos. But a huge pile.

The view from the plane changed my mind. With clouds throwing the whole building in shadow it looked like nothing as much as a late '90s cell phone with the stub antenna on the left.

But a huge cell phone.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 12:03 PM

Smile

Headed into the city today for the first time in a while. I can't wait to see this building firsthand!

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 12:16 AM

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 7:11 PM
Fishtown & Country

Saturday, 6/16

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 10:03 PM
Mr. Technology

Where was THAT excellent shot taken, TK2001?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post

Where was THAT excellent shot taken, TK2001?
Westville, NJ

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 5:32 PM

June 29, 2016

March 17

June 16

Last edited by TK2001; Jun 18, 2018 at 8:19 PM.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 6:04 PM

After all these years, you still don't get it. By now, it's clear you never will. You continue to have the causal relationship completely backwards. Companies like TD Bank, GSK, BlackRock, etc... don't relocate to Philly (or any other city) because a tall spec building is built. Projects like the ACC come to fruition BECAUSE of a commitment by an anchor tenant like TD Bank or BlackRock. If TD Bank or BlackRock had wanted to move here (even less likely a major financial firm would do that for a pretty building than another type of company) and liked the ACC, it would have been built in short order. With the possible exception of New York and some international cities, no one is ever going to build a spec super tall with no anchor tenant. It's not happening.

Quote:
The main point of the ACC was to attract a major company to Center City such as TD Bank, GSK, BlackRock, Sunoco, and even GE if the developer had some insight to even attract the state gov’t as a major co-tenant as well. It had nothing to do with the design, it’s height, or even the economy at the time, since the ACC already had privately dedicated funding, the only thing that contributed to the ACC’s demise was the city and state govt’s reluctance to support the tower (remember Vince Fumo) and NIMBYS.

It wasn’t just another super tall, the ACC was the potential to attract another major company to Philadelphia. We can’t rely on the success of Comcast for so long, especially since AT&T purchased TimeWarner and being a cable company isn’t going to cut it in the upcoming 2020’s! It’s just another missed opportunity of not just getting a magnificent tower, but another major company, and I’m not too confident of Amazon coming to the city, neither.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 6:10 PM

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 6:12 PM

^Very nice.

Just noticed lettering and a new sign--

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post

Just noticed lettering and a new sign--

That's awesome! They're doing the sign like the Comcast Center

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
You're replying to a post from over two weeks ago. Just like the ACC, you need to let this conversation go. It's dead.
And unfortunately, so is Philly’s contracting economy. Pittsburgh has more Fortune 500 and 1000 companies in their city limits and they’re the second largest city in the Commonwealth.

Heck San Diego has more Fortune 1000 companies than us. I love the city, believe it or not, but business taxes are unbelievably high, our economy is really reliant on one company (Comcast), and although Philadelphia is starting to grow in population, it’s a snails pace compared to NYC, DC, and Boston.

Not sure how Philly is going to end up, but I don’t make the rules here, and if I did, I would’ve made sure that Sunoco, Santander, and Lincoln Financial stayed headquartered here, as well as attracting certain corporations such as TD Bank, BlackTock, and even GE!Its not so much the tower, it’s our economy, and if we can’t diversify the economy, and Comcast gets beat by AT&T and Verizon, the city’s leaders have nobody to blame but themselves!

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 9:31 PM

Can someone remind me; Never understood why it should be so, but doesn't the state have a role in this by limiting what the city can do to its tax structure without state approval?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 9:40 PM

Quote:
it’s a snails pace compared to NYC, DC, and Boston.
Not to get into city v city but... of the cities you mentioned, year-over-year MSA job growth goes:

Boston - 1.6%
Philadelphia - 1.4%
Washington - 1.3%
New York City - 1.2%
Pittsburgh 1.0%

So it's not really at a snails pace compared to these places. We're right around where we should be, and if anything doing relatively well.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 10:24 PM
Pro Web Slinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Not to get into city v city but... of the cities you mentioned, year-over-year MSA job growth goes:

Boston - 1.6%
Philadelphia - 1.4%
Washington - 1.3%
New York City - 1.2%
Pittsburgh 1.0%

So it's not really at a snails pace compared to these places. We're right around where we should be, and if anything doing relatively well.
he was referring to population growth, not job growth.

Quote:
and although Philadelphia is starting to grow in population, it’s a snails pace compared to NYC, DC, and Boston.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey7312 View Post
he was referring to population growth, not job growth.
Job growth is a decent proxy.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 11:03 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 12:10 AM

Quote:
And unfortunately, so is Philly’s contracting economy. Pittsburgh has more Fortune 500 and 1000 companies in their city limits and they’re the second largest city in the Commonwealth.

Heck San Diego has more Fortune 1000 companies than us. I love the city, believe it or not, but business taxes are unbelievably high, our economy is really reliant on one company (Comcast), and although Philadelphia is starting to grow in population, it’s a snails pace compared to NYC, DC, and Boston.

Not sure how Philly is going to end up, but I don’t make the rules here, and if I did, I would’ve made sure that Sunoco, Santander, and Lincoln Financial stayed headquartered here, as well as attracting certain corporations such as TD Bank, BlackTock, and even GE!Its not so much the tower, it’s our economy, and if we can’t diversify the economy, and Comcast gets beat by AT&T and Verizon, the city’s leaders have nobody to blame but themselves!
And building the acc on spec would have "saved" Philadelphia's economy?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture