HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 10:54 PM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
You sure that second one isn't downtown Toronto......ba dum chaaaaa!
You know sometimes I just get angry over people thinking Winnipeg is small, though it isn’t. But it’s ok for you to say that

I hope we can get 10 more 390s in downtown, but well, we don’t have to become Vancouver by having tons of uninspiring glass towers that are rapidly degrading

390 looks nice

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 1:30 AM
surely you agree with me

It’s funny the realtor calls that Osborne Village. Better image I guess.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 4:22 AM

Nearly $400,000 for 650 square feet. Damn. Didn't realize it would be that expensive. Almost seems out of sync with the real estate market in this city. I wonder how many units they have sold?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 8:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspionNoir View Post
You know sometimes I just get angry over people thinking Winnipeg is small, though it isn’t. But it’s ok for you to say that

I hope we can get 10 more 390s in downtown, but well, we don’t have to become Vancouver by having tons of uninspiring glass towers that are rapidly degrading

390 looks nice
Give it time. Hell, flying cars are coming...

https://www.cp24.com/lifestyle/techn...2023-1.4220481

And soon!

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 9:13 AM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Nearly $400,000 for 650 square feet. Damn. Didn't realize it would be that expensive. Almost seems out of sync with the real estate market in this city. I wonder how many units they have sold?
If 300 Main was a condo too it’ll probably sell for even more than 390. And tbh for me I’ll take 400000

And I think 400000 is nothing at all....Ashdown Warehouse in the Exchange can sell for up to 500000 I believe (I checked one day as I got so excited there are buyable properties in the Exchange), and that pair of retro styled condos at the Waterfront can sell for up to a million, so I’d say 400000 is totally normal and even a bit underpriced

And I believe all the newly renovated warehouses in the Exchange are expensive

Last edited by EspionNoir; Dec 18, 2018 at 10:53 AM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 1:53 PM

^ Those prices are still quite high relative to what you can buy on the single family home market. As nice as 390 on the River is, it would be tough for most to swallow $400K for a somewhat cramped apartment when you consider that will buy a pretty nice house with 3x the space and a yard in most neighbourhoods throughout the city.

Even if you prefer the urban condo arrangement, it would be much easier to sell the house down the road if you want to move... there is not a huge market for high end downtown condos.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 3:31 PM

Quote:
I know what you mean. Within Canada I guess we would be considered "medium sized", perhaps on a world-scale we are still a "small" city.

I'm not even sure what these labels mean any more. I think it used to be that "small city" meant a city with few amenities, but realistically that doesn't describe Winnipeg any more (though it may describe it's perception).

I also wonder about labels like "working class". Winnipeg has been called a "working class" city at times, but what does that really mean? If it reflects the number of head offices there may (or may not be) in a city, then yeah, I guess it's "working class". Trouble is, like "small city", a label like "working class" is often seen as a slight epithet to mean "low class' or "no good enough".

As far as annoying labels go, I couldn't tell you the number of times I have choked internally when someone has told me Regina is a "big city". I understand people having civic pride, but come on, people!

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 4:13 PM

Four hundred thousand dollars is nothing at all? OK, I'm out of here. Good luck with your increased rents.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 4:29 PM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
Four hundred thousand dollars is nothing at all? OK, I'm out of here. Good luck with your increased rents.
Well I gotta say saying that it's nothing at all is a bit extreme....still quite some money.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 4:31 PM

If you're in the market for a new home, $400k really isn't that much. Probably get down to $300k for a smaller infill with a small yard. Maybe.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 4:33 PM
Winnipeg

I'm probably one of those weird people who prefer to live in downtown rather than in suburbs. I know the comfort owning a house but I think living in a downtown place like 390 is better for me. Living in a busy place like downtown gives me a sense of urgency and readiness for productivity

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 4:34 PM

^ And that's awesome. I'd love to live downtown. But doubt it will happen for numerous reasons. Even though I work downtown.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
If you're in the market for a new home, $400k really isn't that much. Probably get down to $300k for a smaller infill with a small yard. Maybe.
I agree that $400K will not buy you much of a new home, but really... who cares. I get that very old homes are not for everyone, but a well maintained home from the 60s-90s will give you most if not all the mod cons of a new home, but with the added benefit of a more mature neighbourhood and without having to be on the edge of town somewhere. For $400K you can still get something nice from that era.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 5:12 PM
Winnipeg

That reminds me. I love those possibly century-old houses in the Osborne Village. Can be rare to see them up for sale. Last time I checked one was offered at around 470k. But yeah this kind can be less expensive.

And that area called Crescentwood.... it's just full of gems, characters and wonders.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 5:17 PM

Quote:
That reminds me. I love those possibly century-old houses in the Osborne Village. Can be rare to see them up for sale. Last time I checked one was offered at around 470k. But yeah this kind can be less expensive.

And that area called Crescentwood.... it's just full of gems, characters and wonders.
Also full of asbestos, knob and tube wiring and piss poor insulation.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 5:19 PM
Winnipeg

Yeah speaking of those apartment buildings...

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I agree that $400K will not buy you much of a new home, but really... who cares. I get that very old homes are not for everyone, but a well maintained home from the 60s-90s will give you most if not all the mod cons of a new home, but with the added benefit of a more mature neighbourhood and without having to be on the edge of town somewhere. For $400K you can still get something nice from that era.
Yes I agree. I was just speaking to the new home market vs a new condo market. Just because something is new, doesn't mean it's 'better'. I really like the character of an older home. But also like the modern touches of a new home. This is the battle between my wife and I, constantly. haha Looking at moving in the next 1-2 years after the little one comes along.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 6:33 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

New homes have (if you find a well built one) walk-in closets, ensuite bathrooms, 2X6 construction, great vapour barrier, steel I-beam main beams (no teleposts), lots of electrical outlets and circuits...the list goes on. Plus newer neighbourhoods have buried utilities and seperate sewers.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 8:11 PM
the first stamp is free

Vapour barrier is only necessary if you have something in your wall to protect the vapours from - i.e. insulation.

2x6 construction is only really necessary for increasing the thickness of said insulation in the exterior walls.

Bonus for having a 112 year old house? Not needing to worry about either of those things..!

And unless you went along and installed your own vapour barrier and knew what you are doing - there is basically no house built that has a "great" vapour barrier. Just houses with vapour barrier installed, full of holes, tears, gaps, etc. etc.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 9:29 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Haha my second house was like that. On really cold mornings the pillow was frozen to the wall.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan