HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 4, 2010, 2:54 PM
Creative Accountant

My girlfriend works at the Bay. Currently, the big wigs are in town trying to determine what is to be done. The plan is to reduce top floors and to possibly put a zellers in the basement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgalston View Post
I was in The Bay yesterday myself. That store is slowly, painfully moving on a ricketty escalator to closed-ville; whole sections of the second floor are semi-vacant, nevermind the fourth, fifth, etc. The basement (aside from the still busy supermarket) look like a Logan Avenue discount-mart's going out of business sale, c.1980.

Very sad, since any amount of effort by the company could turn that place around, but they are obviously not looking at that.

But who cares? I hear that St. Ax and the U of W are looking for more space to house their new Sustainible Indigenous Accessibility Development department offices...

Old Posted Feb 4, 2010, 9:02 PM

^^That sounds like a good plan. Zellers will surely do alright downtown. I just hope they keep the grocery store. Do Zellers have grocery sections? I don't think I've ever been to Zellers...there is never one near by me.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2010, 9:15 PM
Armchair urbanist

The Polo location has a small, essentially non-perishables, only section. Definitely not a place one would go to buy groceries

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 2:40 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

There are a lot of rumours spewing again about Wal-Mart renovating existing stores to the Supercentre format like they have in Ontario and Alberta, and wanting to do that within the next year. Can anyone bring light to this?

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 3:13 AM
visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovanf View Post
My girlfriend works at the Bay. Currently, the big wigs are in town trying to determine what is to be done. The plan is to reduce top floors and to possibly put a zellers in the basement.
cool, I remembering predicting this when I started posting on here now only if I can find it. the search function don't seem to find archived threads of the yester years.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 4:02 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

go to advanced search theres some options u can change to search posts that old and i vaguely remember ur prediction

Old Posted Feb 6, 2010, 4:47 AM
visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
go to advanced search theres some options u can change to search posts that old and i vaguely remember ur prediction
I tried again and it goes as far as last year.

at the same time I predicted portage place mall 2nd floor would become offices or a second levels for some stores on the ground floor.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2010, 6:53 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovanf View Post
The Bay is actively marketing 250,000 - 300,000 sqft of space within the downtown store. We will witness major changes to the downtown in the coming year.. IF they can find any takers.

They have already approached the UofW but they haven't proceeded with any plans as of yet.
There are also rumours that a call centre may absorb some of the space.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2010, 7:00 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
There are a lot of rumours spewing again about Wal-Mart renovating existing stores to the Supercentre format like they have in Ontario and Alberta, and wanting to do that within the next year. Can anyone bring light to this?
If you mean Walmart Supercentres.. yes Walmart if proceeding to develop these store formats in Canada.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2010, 7:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
If you mean Walmart Supercentres.. yes Walmart if proceeding to develop these store formats in Canada.
One underway in Saskatoon and one in Regina (I believe), they're not making all Wal-marts into Supercentres are they?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2010, 7:29 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsim249 View Post
One underway in Saskatoon and one in Regina (I believe), they're not making all Wal-marts into Supercentres are they?
No, not all, just a few where population can support it. Most will remain normal Walmarts.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2010, 10:30 AM

Are there any plans for a Walmart Supercentre in Winnipeg?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2010, 1:21 PM

Quote:
No, not all, just a few where population can support it. Most will remain normal Walmarts.
Heh heh is "normal Walmart" an oxymoron?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2010, 5:35 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

if the bays new store stays open later that would be nice...

Old Posted Feb 7, 2010, 4:12 AM
Armchair urbanist

Yes, if they at least stayed open the "standard shift" they'd get my business. My understanding of the "standard shift":

M-Sat, 9-9, Sun: 12-6

Old Posted Feb 7, 2010, 7:15 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrae View Post
Yes, if they at least stayed open the "standard shift" they'd get my business. My understanding of the "standard shift":

M-Sat, 9-9, Sun: 12-6
yes i don't know how many times i have gone to the bay specificaly to get somthing and just wind up walking into a locked door

Old Posted Feb 7, 2010, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
yes i don't know how many times i have gone to the bay specificaly to get somthing and just wind up walking into a locked door
I went to my doctor complaining about a pain whenever I tap my arm. The doctor told me to stop tapping my arm.. .Ba dom bom I'm here all week. Try the veal...

Have ya tried NOT walking into the locked door?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2010, 8:32 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

prity had to do that being u pull them open...

Old Posted Feb 7, 2010, 8:55 PM

The Bay's been marketing their top 4 floors for about 5 years now. They started two or three owners ago ...

In the meantime they should still go ahead and consolidate everything on the main and second floors. And invest in some inventory. And turn the lights back on and make it look like a real store again. I'm getting pretty tired of going their first, only to find their shelves empty and heading off to Polo Park.

And get that grocery store on the main floor, out of the basement, so people actually know its there and it's not limited by The Bays crappy hours.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2010, 5:09 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
If and when they do want to open up a Supercentre, the most likely candidate for that first store would be renovating the McPhillips location.

Why McPhillips? Well, we are the North End, and knowing that I work part time at Superstore on McPhillips, there are a lot of cheap skates around here, along with pure competition with the nearby Superstore, and to tell you the truth, Superstore has been copying what Wal-Mart has been doing, mostly in the general merchandise area for quite a while now.

Now, I'm not so sure.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan