HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 2:42 PM

South Flores and Guenther

Does anyone have renderings of the new apartment/retail space going up at South Flores and Guenther?

http://www.mysanantonio.com/default/...as-2249395.php

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 4:59 AM

Guenther apartments

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 11:27 PM

Downtown Christmas light update: Marriott Rivercenter is now lit red and green along with Tower Life...Weston Centre has large, changing multicolored lights along the roof..Tower of the Americas is the same as previous years...Grand Hyatt appears to have clear lights running along the roof....Riverwalk lights are now multicolored LEDs (very different lighting ambiance as a result)...Houston Street lit with clear lights

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 3:24 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Here is the picture of the Gunther Apartments. It wasn't showing up.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 3:43 PM
Liberator.

Location: San Antonio,(born) Arlington Heights, Ill.(Chicagoland)
Talking

Thanks, ydoc that's very informative, especially for tourists that are coming for the holidays to our city! Here is a list of the top 10 destinations for Christmas lights according to Yahoo! Travel: we are the 8th top city, and the only city in Texas picked for the most dazzling Christmas lights. New York City, is number one.

http://travel.yahoo.com/ideas/top-10...080000057.html

Go Spurs (NBA) , Go Talons (arena football) , Go Scorpions (soccer) , Go UTSA Roadrunners (college football) , Go Rampage (hockey)

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Here is the picture of the Gunther Apartments. It wasn't showing up.

Great, thanks!

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 5:36 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

New rendering of 1800 Broadway, currently under construction.

Four mixed-use developments currently under construction in the Lower Broadway/River North/Pearl Districts. All told, these four developments will add nearly 1,000 residential units to the urban core.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 2:28 PM
Endless Moments...

Love it. Only thing i would change is to put some retail at the bottom, other then that. Its kewl...
Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 6:05 PM

Base of crane is set at Mosaic, 3rd floor is going up at Steel House Lofts.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 6:05 PM
Paradise

I guess this is the hotel proposal/concept for rivercenter?

http://sapartnership.com/?portfolio=...elodeon-hotels

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 6:22 PM

Ahhhh these concepts always tease me; If only actual construction looked like concepts more often. But hey that potential underground entrance with a link to the Riverwalk looks pretty cool in the second pic.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 4:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necropolis View Post
Ahhhh these concepts always tease me; If only actual construction looked like concepts more often. But hey that potential underground entrance with a link to the Riverwalk looks pretty cool in the second pic.
That's an interesting idea. I work in the old Joske's building and I've been underneath Rivercenter Mall-- it's a real space. It's where the loading docks and freight elevators are.

Flickr Blog Site

Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 5:41 PM
Paradise

The Joske's building looks a little different than the other renderings I've seen of it.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 6:59 PM
Paradise

Does anyone have any info on the proposed Monterrey Village downtown? I saw it on here:
http://www.smartapartmentdata.com/sh...nstruction.pdf

It says that it is mixed use with 1000 units and the developer is Hodges and Associates. I thought it was the Monterrey Village on the far north side at first, but that one is listed below as cancelled. So does anyone know anything about this project?

EDIT: I found this. http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...30/story3.html Error on pdf I assume.

Last edited by UrbanTrance; Dec 23, 2011 at 8:48 PM.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2011, 2:37 AM

No information here; but it says it's on 151 and 410, so I don't really consider it to be downtown.

What I found more interesting was on the link you provided for projects it showed Big Tex to be cancelled. I knew it ran into problems with the site being possibly listed as a superfund site. I thought they were working on cleaning it up, but I guess that was bad enough publicity to kill that project.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2011, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
No information here; but it says it's on 151 and 410, so I don't really consider it to be downtown.

What I found more interesting was on the link you provided for projects it showed Big Tex to be cancelled. I knew it ran into problems with the site being possibly listed as a superfund site. I thought they were working on cleaning it up, but I guess that was bad enough publicity to kill that project.
I think this article from May explains the current status of Big Tex:
http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...fe-1364172.php

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
I think this article from May explains the current status of Big Tex:
http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...fe-1364172.php
Thanks for the link. It certainly makes sense.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 3:16 PM

I read this from the Current:
http://sacurrent.com/news/recall-dec...-one-1.1249963
Quote:
San Antonio's central business district saw a dismal 2 percent growth rate over the past two decades, coming in dead last among major U.S. cities like Houston (119 percent growth), Dallas (94 percent growth), Los Angeles (66 percent growth), or Austin (41 percent growth). "There's no other comparable city that has seen less downtown growth than San Antonio," HR&A consultant John Alschuler told members.
Here is a link to HR&A
http://www.hraadvisors.com/

Looking back to 1990, it does seem that the efforts of the city to invest in downtown have not paid off in any real growth. There have been a number of hotel rooms added during that time, but still all that is there is the riverwalk. You would think that with the number of visitors the city gets there should be block after block of restaurants, bars and shops. Why has this not happened?

Now the city is talking about redeveloping Hemisfair Park (which will cost a lot of money). Does anyone see their current plan as some sort of catalyst for growth? Is this the right place to start (should the money go elsewhere)? Is it addressing any of the real obstacles for growth downtown?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2011, 6:26 PM

No. they need to get a major housing, and employment downtown and the rest will follow.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2011, 8:49 PM

And this becomes the issue of the Riverwalk. It is a dream for cities to have but it is also a detriment to cities as well. We do have block after block of restaurants and shops downtown, however, they are all located below street level along the river. With this funneling of people one level below the street it makes downtown seem empty and void of ground level retail. Even in the summer time the Riverwalk is packed but the streets remain relatively void of people in terms of how many are actually visiting downtown.

I think the Riverwalk is the reason why there is not much at the street level in downtown. So much emphasis has been poured into the Riverwalk that the street level areas are often neglected.

As far as the HemisFair redevelopment, I believe it will have its greatest success as long as the city can work with the private sector as a public-private partnership. Within the past few years it seems as though San Antonio can support a moderate rental market downtown so it is possible that it may work if it is designed well and is aesthetically appealing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio