HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Closed Thread

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 10:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownWpg View Post
Has fiscal conservatism left the mindset of Reginanians... yeah, I know that SSP members do not constitute an accurate sample... but still?! Once the HarperCons turn their back on it, I guess being a spendocrat becomes quite fashionable.

From a city with less than 200K population, it is kind of cute (to wit: acting lofty albeit misguided) reading assumptions of this "multi-purpose" facility based on stadium activity, attendance, and funding in large population centres like Vancouver or the GTA.

Lets face it, this is more about putting Regina 'on the map.' It is about civic ego, and attempting to impress those who do not live in the city. No price is too high from the public purse in this pursuit, 'eh? We've experienced the same thing here in Winnipeg with the CMHR. Supporters rarely, if ever, mention the ideas behind it or the museum's purpose or show concern for the amount of public money pouring into it... but rather, gush about how it will make the skyline look more impressive, make baseless claims that it will see an astronomical amount of visitors, and put Winnipeg 'on the map.' In essence, this "multi-purpose" dream is Regina's CMHR. For Regina's sake, it would be best to drastically scale down the plan, or just do a 'world class' renovation to Mosaic Stadium.
Thank God we here in Saskatchewan no longer have that Winnipeg-like mindset. You guys build your hundred million dollar federally funded museum, and we will build our stadium. Fair is fair given that both provinces share similar populations.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 10:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Depending on the amount of federal funding involved, and the fact that federal funding was denied for Winnipeg's bargain basement stadium, yes it is very much our business.
Excellent, hope to see you at the opening ceremonies.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 10:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
I never suggested that Mosaic stadium be demolished...
Mosaic stadium will be demolished and make way for lowincome housing an an area that desperately needs it.
Quote:
However, the fact that you argue it should be kept further puts into question the need for a brand new indoor stadium... As for me having some sort of envy over your "proposed" stadium: First of all, I don't like watching football in domed stadiums (and the fact that only 1 or 2 games a year would be covered makes the extra expense laughable). Secondly, multi-purpose facilities are being torn down everywhere in favour of single use stadiums (in terms of sports - I'm not saying that concerts can't be held in arenas, etc..). Third, I highly doubt that this thing will get built in it's present form ($2,500 per resident? Give me a break!)
People have to remember this is a Saskatchewan facility, not a Regina facility. So with a million plus for population, that works about to a bit over $400 bucks each, or about 29 days of healthcare funding.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
Who is using it as justification? Someone asked me who would be using this facility and I provided a list. But now that you've brought it up, would it not be a good thing for CIS athletics (ie the Vanier Cup) to be held in an indoor facility when most games in Sk are held in very cold temperatures? With a controlled climate would also bring along many more fans to these games, that is a pretty solid fact.

Same could be said for various hockey games taking place at the MTS Centre, Saddledome, Rexall PLace, etc or any other venue that hosts events with lower attendances. Is there outrage in Winnipeg when someone other than the Manitoba Moose use the MTS Centre?

You are wrong. Since covered stadiums began being built, more GreyCups were held in cities that have these facilities than any other location. Now lets use the '07 GreyCup in Toronto for an example, that event brought in over $50million dollars of economic activity to that area. Now lets predict that over a 60-70 year lifetime of the new facility, we host 10-12 GreyCups. Do the math just for this type of event.
Weird I remember freezing my ass off at a Rollings Stones concert in October a couple years ago. Its true there aren't as many stadium tours, but there are already some that have avoided this area because of lack of facilities (ie Jayz/Eminen, U2, Paul Mccartney, Springsteen, etc)

Once again, we do not need a large arena, why do you continue to advocate us spending over a hundred million dollars for an arena that won't be used for hockey? Skydome in Toronto was used several times for arena concerts before the ACC was built, what makes you think that can't happen here?

With the new facility the Vanier Cup would be held in Regina alot more often than that, case in point the amount of times its been held in the 'covered' Skydome. And its too bad that you aren't more positive in thinking in that a new climate controlled facility in the heartland of football won't draw more than 20K people. Think positive my friend, all this negativity is gutwrenching.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/mma/2010/05/20/ufc_canada/

With a covered facility Regina could play host to many international events, like international soccer, track and field events, etc. Once again, these are only events that can take place in the facility once it is built.

Dunno, why do covered stadiums (ie BC PLace, Skydome, UofArizona, Fargodome, etc) all over the world hold tradeshows?
I wonder if the Grey Cup being held in domed stadiums more often has anything to do with: Being in the 3 biggest cities; being 3 of the newest stadiums; being 3 of the biggest capacity stadiums, etc...

$50 Million of economic spinoffs from a Grey Cup in Regina? Interesting, but I don't see how they spinoffs would be any less for an outdoor stadium - Visitors will still be staying in hotels, buying food and alchohol, etc...

Your idea of why concerts pass over Regina are over-exaggerated. You think that those huge concerts you mention don't come because there is no facility? U2 doesn't play every 200,000 person city; neither does Springsteen, etc. It's about the market too. It's hilarious that you think that if this gets built, conerts that pass over even Edmonton and Calgary will suddenly be lining up to play in Regina! By the way, the Jay-Z and Eminem concert (which I was lucky enough to see) only played in Detroit and New York (ie: Regina having no indoor stadium had nothing to do with you guys getting passed over...)

The article about UFC has nothing to do with Saskatchewan...

As for your constant camparisons to Skydome (which has many problems in its own right), you realize that it was built primarily for a pro baseball team, in a city (metro) +25 times the size of Regina? 81 home games for baseball, plus 10 Argos games, plus being the biggest market in the country, I don't know if they can be compared...

Let's hope your not building a track for that facility, as it would take football fans (primary users of the facility) much further from the field...

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
Barely a whisper hey Stormer?
Migs, this is not exactly apples to apples. BMO Field was built for the FIFA U-20 tournament and was known as the Canadian National Soccer Stadium long before it ever became BMO Field. The feds were involved because it was built to secure a bid for an international event (just like the Pan Am games in Toronto/Hamilton or the World Junior Track Meet Stadium in Moncton). The whole CNS Stadium project started in 2005. MLS did not grant a franchise to Toronto until 2006. It did not become a facility for TFC until after the FIFA U-20, just like the stadium in Hamilton is not being built for the Tiger-Cats, but the Tiger-Cats will be using the stadium after the Pan-Am Games. Federal dollars have always been used for international events being held in Canada. If Regina landed the Commonwealth Games, the federal government would be expected to kick in for a large portion of a new stadium (as they would have done in Halifax). However, as far as I know, this football stadium is not part of any international sporting event. There is the difference.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 12:15 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Wow, I guess my other points were valid, and you decided to jump all over the definition of outdoor sports.

I should have clarified that I don't like indoor heated STADIUMS. We get, what 10 football games a year? Let's play them outdoors.
Well it is an argument that is often used by many, so why not address it? And why should an arena be held in different regard than a stadium? Both are sporting complexes. And to be sure, arenas in the prairies are definitely heated in winter, just as other places require them to be cooled in winter to make them useful.

And if we build an outdoor stadium, pretty much all it will ever be used for is Football, and all you do is maintain the status quo. Regina has no need for a large arena. Saskatoon already has one of a fairly decent size, and Regina definitely won't get a whack at an NHL team in our lifetimes. A large indoor stadium fills a different need and allows us to make other uses out of it, whether they be trade shows, concerts, events like Monster Trucks, wrestling, UFC (if that is ever approved here). If you don't dream big once in a while, you stagnate. It's not like we're proposing something as outlandish as Olympic Stadium. Winnipeg can build an outdoor venue, because you already have a decent sized indoor one in the MTS Centre.

And your other point wasn't completely valid either. The feds have already contributed 100 million to the Human Rights Museum, and will be contributing something like 20 million per year to run that facility. And why should Winnipeg have gotten that? Don't national museums usually get located in the national capital? Winnipeg isn't exactly the major western city it once was.

Shouldn't this project have been just as hotly contested/debated then? Couldn't we have gone with a much more conservative design and had a plain complex to house the museum that only cost in the area of 150 million? It would still serve its purpose of educating people... why do we need such a grand design?

And given that the feds commitment is not only a third of the cost, but also will be a fairly large annual contribution, what is the net benefit to people from other parts of Canada? School children won't be coming from Regina to make a visit, let alone from other parts of the country, so where is our net benefit out of this? It will require over it's lifetime much more funding than a stadium here would. Yet it seems there was almost no debate over it whatsoever.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 12:23 AM

Idont think this has anything to do about the stadium its more about the HATRED TOWARDS THE CITY OF REGINA,.go on your own city page and make this a better world.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 12:29 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welkin View Post
Migs, this is not exactly apples to apples. BMO Field was built for the FIFA U-20 tournament and was known as the Canadian National Soccer Stadium long before it ever became BMO Field. The feds were involved because it was built to secure a bid for an international event (just like the Pan Am games in Toronto/Hamilton or the World Junior Track Meet Stadium in Moncton). The whole CNS Stadium project started in 2005. MLS did not grant a franchise to Toronto until 2006. It did not become a facility for TFC until after the FIFA U-20, just like the stadium in Hamilton is not being built for the Tiger-Cats, but the Tiger-Cats will be using the stadium after the Pan-Am Games. Federal dollars have always been used for international events being held in Canada. If Regina landed the Commonwealth Games, the federal government would be expected to kick in for a large portion of a new stadium (as they would have done in Halifax). However, as far as I know, this football stadium is not part of any international sporting event. There is the difference.
However, in the Pan Am Hamilton case, it is in a sense being built for the Ti-cats as well. Without the Ti-cats as a legacy tenant, the committee is refusing to fund the stadium, or would only fund a MUCH scaled back version somewhere along the lines of 5k capacity.

As for the U-20 games in Toronto, why couldn't they save the money and use the Skydome then? They used Olympic Stadium in Montreal afterall. And even though it was sort of termed the national stadium, it wasn't truly one. Commonwealth in Edmonton was still somewhat the de facto home due to its grass field rather than turf (this now has reversed though... years later). And prior to granting the franchise, I'm sure the stadium was discussed as part of it's bid. It would take longer than just a year to work out the kinks in the agreement for a franchise.

Neither stadium is/was truly needed, but since their building coincides with the events, they are shoved in with the funding.

Halifax however would have truly required building a stadium.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 12:50 AM

Are you for real , we neen a new stadium final answer , you must be a regina hater , it does not make any , any sense to build an outdoor stadium , to be used 5 months of the year no sense at all ,

fourthtower, you have it completely wrong. I am a big fan of Regina, which is why I am not in favor of this project. I see this project as potential overkill and a financial drain on the taxpayers of Regina for years to come. You and Migs and several others have already pointed out that the Brandt Center covers almost all you needs when it comes to concerts, trade shows, WHL hockey and etc. and that you do not need a new 10-15,000 seat arena downtown. For what the Brandt Center does not cover (Rider games, stadium shows, motor cross, huge conventions/trade shows) you want to build a $460 entertainment complex.

Everyone knows that if the Riders already had a decent place to play, no one would be talking about building this facility. Lets face it, there are not enough stadium shows and massive trade shows/conventions coming to Regina to justify a $460 million facility. So it is really is all about a new football stadium for the Riders. Now I have been a Riders fan for years, and I would love for them to be in a new facility, I just don't think that a city the size of Regina needs to spend half a billion dollars to accomplish this. Again, I am not a resident of Regina, so I really don't have a say (I only come to town on business 10-15 times a year and I do try to catch a Rider game every chance I get) but I do have an opinion. I know Regina is growing but let's face it, Regina is not a wealthy city. Unless the private sector chips in a huge part for the funding and operation of this facility, property taxes will go up in Regina to pay for this facility. Many of the good citizens of Regina that I know already feel that they pay enough in taxes.

I think you could build a decent $150 million outdoor stadium (there are dozens of examples) and have the majority of it paid for by private companies, Riders fans, the Riders themselves, hotel taxes, and minimum property tax increases. The BS line you keep throwing out that it will only be used 6-7 months out of the year, well so what, 95% of all football stadiums are only used that much of the year and they were still built. As long as a stadium is used enough to cover its annual operating expense and mortgage, who cares if it sits empty part of the year.

I just hope that before this stadium goes too far, that the citizens of Regina/Saskatchewan get the opportunity to vote on whether or not they want to pay for building this facility. Most of the people I talk to are about 50% for and 50% against. It is not a slam dunk by any means. I think people will decide when the final numbers come out. If private companies, the Riders, and Rider fans chip in a whole bunch and the cost to the taxpayers in minimal, this project will probably fly. If the taxpayers are going to be picking up $250-300 million of the cost, then it probably wont. I do know that if it goes through (or if some other option is determined as the best course of action), as a Riders fan, I will be sending in a contribution.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 1:35 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefourthtower View Post
Idont think this has anything to do about the stadium its more about the HATRED TOWARDS THE CITY OF REGINA,.go on your own city page and make this a better world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
C'mon, let's face it. You are pissed-off of the prospect that Regina may have a far superior facility than Winnipeg will have. Moreover, Regina would rather keep Mosaic Stadium instead of building ANOTHER outdoor facility. So, what do you think about that?
there is nothing more annoying than trying to engage in an intelligent debate and your opponent, who is no longer able to respond to your points decides that he must resort to belittling your opinion to make it appear as if your argument is so far off that the only logical answer is an infantile concept like jealousy or hatred.

its a last resort in debating.....divert the attention from legitimate points by throwing a diversion out and hoping he takes the bait.

there are very legitimate reasons why stadiums do not deserve major federal funding...this is why they have not ever recieved it.....its not like the regina stadium is the only one not getting funding....there is no precedent for this project.

i couldnt care less if they played football on a field of gold bricks in regina....i just dont think you should or will get funding from the rest of the country for it.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 1:45 AM

The conundrum Regina is in is that the Brandt centre is only a 6300 seat facility with a low ceiling,and has been passed over by more shows than we know. Elton John is one I remember. If it wasn't for Mosaic stadium, ACDC and the Stones and Bon Jovi would not even have heard of Regina.

The idea a few of you posters mentioned to build a 10 to 15 thousand seat hockey arena and an outdoor football facility is valid but Brandt centre is connected to Evraz place which just went through a 60 mil reno so I don't see the Brandt getting demolished and it doesn't make sense to have the Brandt plus a new arena and an outdoor football stadium. Kapish? So I don't understand why folks keep mentioning it.

The best option I see is keeping the Brandt for small stuff and the proposed new multi purpose building for football and having the opportunity for every other possible show and event that is out there that all the large centres get. Yes it is an expensive venture but there probably will be a surcharge on every event that it gets including football and will be financed that way just like an airport improvement fee finances airport expansions.

The Riders brand is a money making machine and the fans alone will probably pay for this facility if it's done right. (merchandising)

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 1:49 AM
Honored Member

I am curious Welkin, why would anyone go to Regina 10 - 15 times a year, plus Cardiff, Wales (from another thread). I am not trying to be offensive in asking - I am truly curious. You must spend most of the year on the road. Are you in the agricultural field or natural resources? Or with the federal government?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 2:38 AM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
I've spent some time in Regina, and I think it's a great place.

Don't take the discussions regarding the feasibility/funding/etc. become a city versus city thing. That isn't the case here at all.

I think we all hope Regina gets a fancy new stadium. I just don't want the feds to pour a lot of money towards it, and I think domed stadiums are for pansy's. They kill the atmosphere and I know you Saskatchewanians (?) are tougher than this.

And this isn't a "city page", it's a specific project page.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 2:55 AM

fenwick, not that it is really related to this thread, but since you asked.....Cardiff was just part a fun trip to hook up with some old mates. I used to work with a company where I covered Ireland and the UK and I try to get back on the other side of the pond a couple of times a year. I am a road warrior (a guy on the road all the time) for a tech company and now I am back spending my time covering Canada. I am on the road 20+ days a month, so I am in most Canadian cities 10-15 times a year.

I was being honest when I said that I loved spending time in Regina and that I really hope that they build the Riders a new place to play. I am a huge CFL fan and have caught games in every stadium in the league. One thing that I love about the CFL, is that money is not destroying this league like it is the NFL. Everything about the NFL is about money. The CFL was always about the fans, the sport and the community. The CFL was never about how much money the players make or how much money a franchise was worth. I am sorry, but Regina wanting to build a half a billion dollar football stadium just starts us down that slippery slope. The CFL is not designed to operate in a world of half billion dollar stadiums. One thing I always loved about Regina was the prairie sensibility of the people. They favor the steak over the sizzle. Now I just feel that the Riders and Regina are selling their soul to the alter of greed and will one day regret this decision. Everyone knows that Regina does not need a half a billion stadium, but they greedily do desire one.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 2:56 AM

Quote:

Don't take the discussions regarding the feasibility/funding/etc. become a city versus city thing. That isn't the case here at all.

I think we all hope Regina gets a fancy new stadium. I just don't want the feds to pour a lot of money towards it, and I think domed stadiums are for pansy's. They kill the atmosphere and I know you Saskatchewanians (?) are tougher than this.

My dear freind this is not a domed stadium the roof will open on it , R egina has been pissed on for far to to lon=ng its about a generational thing once its built its there for 70 years why not its once in a lifetime , there is a huge oppurtinty for the province in realty its not that much money its for the enjoyment of the people we only live once enjoy life build our cities and carry one whats the difference if a city gets a museun or a stadium its all about life we must enjoy it .

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welkin View Post
fenwick, not that it is really related to this thread, but since you asked.....Cardiff was just part a fun trip to hook up with some old mates. I used to work with a company where I covered Ireland and the UK and I try to get back on the other side of the pond a couple of times a year. I am a road warrior (a guy on the road all the time) for a tech company and now I am back spending my time covering Canada. I am on the road 20+ days a month, so I am in most Canadian cities 10-15 times a year.

I was being honest when I said that I loved spending time in Regina and that I really hope that they build the Riders a new place to play. I am a huge CFL fan and have caught games in every stadium in the league. One thing that I love about the CFL, is that money is not destroying this league like it is the NFL. Everything about the NFL is about money. The CFL was always about the fans, the sport and the community. The CFL was never about how much money the players make or how much money a franchise was worth. I am sorry, but Regina wanting to build a half a billion dollar football stadium just starts us down that slippery slope. The CFL is not designed to operate in a world of half billion dollar stadiums. One thing I always loved about Regina was the prairie sensibility of the people. They favor the steak over the sizzle. Now I just feel that the Riders and Regina are selling their soul to the alter of greed and will one day regret this decision. Everyone knows that Regina does not need a half a billion stadium, but they greedily do desire one.
You just come on here to start trouble and nothing more you need a big group hug , you act like its your money get over it already, the same thing over and over and over Carry on enjoy life

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 3:18 AM
BANNED

Quote:

You're kidding right? Have you ever been to a Minnesota Vikings game? Have you ever been to an Arizona Cardinals game? Have you ever been to a Syracuse University football game? I have and your comments couldn't be further from the truth.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 3:24 AM
BANNED

Quote:

Relax because in the end the feds won't be putting an astronomical amount of money into it. The $100million request was shooting for the stars and we will settle for a lesser amount, and from what I heard tonight we may already have. And I am not too sure why you guys are getting all bent out of shape as any funding would come from programs that already exist. Wouldn't it be a good thing if a portion of that funding went to something that brings the people of Saskatchewan closer together more than anything else?

That said, federal funding for stadiums is not something new. Go from east to west and you'll see that about 90%ish of all current stadiums have had some sort of federal funding when built. Montreal (both McGill and the BigO), check. Ottawa, check. Hamilton's new stadium as well as Ivor Wynne, check. Skydome, check. Winnipeg Stadium (both old and new), check. Commonwealth stadium, check. BC Place stadium, check. Why should Regina settle for anything less?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 3:25 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
You just come on here to start trouble and nothing more you need a big group hug , you act like its your money get over it already, the same thing over and over and over Carry on enjoy life
No offense to anyone in Regina but almost all outsiders know that this multi-purpose centre will never make money and will likely lose a lot (even BC Place and the Rogers Centre lose millions of dollars a year if you include the cost of building each facility). But if Regina is ok with that and has the money to proceed then it will certainly attract attention to Regina and Saskatchewan. (hopefully it will be good publicity, not bad)

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 3:30 AM

I thought the stadium is going to have a retractable roof?
Domed stadiums are brutal - especially in the summer when you want to enjoy a nice night. Football is meant to be played outdoors!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan