HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 4:42 AM

I just perused the Harwood thread, on dallasmetropolis, and it's not at all clear to me that the above highrise is the next plot to be developed. Maybe I'm missing something.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 5:10 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

Any large scale TODs planned?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 5:57 PM

Great Gulf Dallas

http://hariripontarini.com/projects/...at-gulf-dallas

Quote:
STEVE BROWN The Dallas Morning News
23 January 2012 11:43 AM

Toronto builders who own a prime Turtle Creek development site are asking for city approval to construct a residential high-rise.

GGH Development LLC – an affiliate of Canada's Great Gulf Homes – wants to build a 23-story tower on the 1.4 acre site at Turtle Creek Boulevard and Fairmont Street, according to filings at Dallas City Hall.

The stone and glass residential tower would replace two low-rise office buildings, which previously occupied the site and have been demolished.

The planned residential building was designed by Hariri Pontarini Architects of Toronto, and is described by the architect as a 69-unit project that will cost more than $112 million to build...
http://www.dallasnews.com/business/c...ion=reregister

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 6:09 PM

Developer plans $55M redo of Butler Brothers Building

http://archinect.com/firms/release/2...ervay/35181630

Quote:
Dallas Business Journal by Candace Carlisle
Date: Friday, January 20, 2012

A Texas-based investment partnership has big plans for the 101-year-old building adjacent to Dallas’ City Hall.

Alterra 500 South Ervay LLC, a limited liability company of Alterra International, led by Turkish investor Mike Sarimsakci, plans to spend $55 million turning the Butler Brothers Building into a multi-use property that would include a 220-room hotel, 250 apartments, a school and about 80,000 square feet of office and retail space.

The development group is looking for partners for its extended-stay hotel flag, retail and restaurant space and school, said Sarimsakci, who has been described by Turkish media as the “Turkish Trump.”
http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/pr...for-ervay.html

Last edited by JoninATX; Jan 24, 2012 at 6:33 PM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
I just perused the Harwood thread, on dallasmetropolis, and it's not at all clear to me that the above highrise is the next plot to be developed. Maybe I'm missing something.
That plot is for future development for Harwood. I have my fingers crossed that something will be built pretty soon.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Harwood has not offered up any renderings for their new Village. What I have noticed on my way home from work is they took down the previous rendering at the site showing a tower to put the Harwood Village sign. But there is not a rendering. One thing that I have noticed about Harwood is they tend to create a lot of buzz through media posts, but they move very slowly.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 11:44 PM

Quote:
a poster said soil samples were being taken.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlhorn View Post
Right, I read that. It just wasn't clear to me that it was for the above-pictured highrise.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlhorn View Post
^^^^^^^
Correct, and I'm pretty certain it is where VII is, not XII.

Harwood announced they were designing and planning to construct VII in March of 2011 and they said that their next three skyscrapers in Uptown/Downtown Dallas would be surrounding Harwood Village (aka Harwood Gardens).

When you look at Harwood's masterplan, the three skyscrapers that front Harwood Village (Gardens) are XII, XI and VII: http://www.harwooddallas.com/masterplan.php?b2=_sel

But as mentioned, Harwood indicated in March of 2011 that VII would be their next tower so I'm pretty certain that is the one getting ready to break ground.

No rendering exists for VII that I'm aware of but I would bet money it is going to be a pretty exciting design.

Especially since Crescent Realty's just announced Cesar Pelli designed tower across from Crescent Court and The Ritz Carlton Hotel is just a couple blocks away from where VII will be located.

According to Harwood's announcement, VII will be a 340,000 square foot, $130 million dollar, 29 story mixed-use tower.

Excerpts from the article:

------------------------------------------------------

Harwood designs $130M tower
The 29-story high-rise in Harwood Village adds 340K SF to Uptown

Premium content from Dallas Business Journal by Candace Carlisle, Staff writer
Date: Friday, March 11, 2011, 5:00am CST

Harwood International has begun the design phase of a 29-story, $130 million high-rise building, the latest addition to the Harwood District.

Construction is expected to start as soon as an anchor office tenant is secured, possibly this year (2011).

The 340,000-square-foot mixed-use building — aptly named Seven — will be the seventh building constructed as part of the Harwood District’s 17-block Dallas development. It will be the first high-rise of the district’s Harwood Village project.

Seven will include a private fitness club, a restaurant and patio, 15,000-square-feet of retail space, shops, gardens and office space. The building will overlook downtown and have access to the Katy Trail.

The goal at Harwood Village is to build Seven — one of three high-rise office-retail buildings planned for Harwood Village — emerging from designed gardens and patios to create an enjoyable live-work-play environment in Uptown, said Gabriel Barbier-Mueller, Harwood International CEO.

There is no timeline for constructing the other two high-rises.

“People are ready to get the office space they need and the space that they want,” he said.

“Along with the office space, they want culture. If you can be the first company that offers a green environment, gardens, access to Katy Trail, a health club and ample parking, employees will want to work there. If you want the best talent, you have to get the best corporate office environment.”

Seven has caught the eye of about six possible anchor tenants, which include a variety of professional specialties such as law and finance, said Jihane Boury, vice president of development and leasing for Harwood International.

Resurging tenant demand has led Harwood to begin designing Seven, which wasn’t something Barbier-Mueller thought he’d be working on quite yet in 2011, he said.

Harwood’s available luxury office space is dwindling and major tenants want options in the next few years, he said.

“I did not think I’d be talking about building again so soon,” Barbier-Mueller said. “But we have to build because we need to.”

Harwood’s last building development in the district, Saint Ann Court — a 26-story luxury office building — was completed in fall 2009. It is 70 percent leased.

---> Note: a recent lease by Harwood earlier this month brought Saint Ann Court to 90% leased, meaning there is very little space now left by Harwood to offer clients. <---

There’s a strong demand from large tenants for downtown and Uptown office space, said Jeff Staubach, a senior vice president with Jones Lang LaSalle .

Staubach represented MoneyGram International Inc., one of the most significant corporate leases signed in the Harwood District.

Other recent corporate leases of note with Harwood include Winstead law firm and Holly Corp (after Holly acquired and absorbed Fortune 500 Frontier Oil of Houston).

“I know there are tenants looking around, and there aren’t a lot of large tenant options,” said Staubach, adding that other luxury office buildings in the market, such as Rosewood Court, Victory Tower and the Crescent Office Towers, are nearly leased up.

Tenants are fans of Uptown’s ease of access and parking, but Uptown is competing against downtown’s competitive pricing and new buildings in the Dallas Arts District, he said.

As the market is getting more competitive, numerous larger tenant contracts are up for renewal in the next three to five years. Along with that will come the need to start planning build-to-suit office space soon, he said.

Staubach, who is working with a half-dozen clients shopping for Uptown space, said Harwood’s facilities and management are easy to work with and know their tenants, and will probably do well, especially if they secure an anchor tenant.

With plans for highly efficient floor plans, floor-to-ceiling windows, outdoor terraces, gardens and luxury amenities, Barbier-Mueller said there’s a reason behind the demand for Harwood buildings.

Based on projected demand, Barbier-Mueller said Harwood could roll out 2.5 million to 3 million square feet of tenant space by 2016.

“We are at a point where we want to be fully built out,” he said. “We’ve basically followed demand. We don’t have to build a building for the sake of building, but we do see a demand for priority space.”

Full article: http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/pr....html?page=all

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 1:46 AM

Thanks, everyone!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 7:19 PM
Sea™/Ciudad™

Location: Dallas.TX Previously:Seattle/San Diego/Chicago/New London/Portsmouth

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 8:07 PM
Sea™/Ciudad™

Also, I found this sort-of-under-the-radar bit interesting:
http://www.addisongreen.info/project...d-water-tower/
http://www.addisongreen.info/2009/08...d-water-tower/

Photo:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTCOG@Facebook
Last week, the Town of Addison installed an elevated water storage tank powered solely by wind. The turbine can also power street lights on Arapaho Road and is one of the first of its kind in the country.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 8:35 PM
Sea™/Ciudad™

At University of North Texas in Denton:

http://www.unt.edu/president/insider...en-stadium.htm
http://sustainable.unt.edu/wind-turb...nt-main-campus

Source: http://inhouse.unt.edu/wind-turbines-apogee-stadium

And, currently behind schedule:
http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedconten...40940d529.html
Quote:
The university conducted a feasibility study and approved construction of the turbines in 2010.

The energy generated from the turbines, located at UNT’s athletic complex on Bonnie Brae Street, will help power the Mean Green Village, which includes Apogee Stadium, the Victory Hall residence hall and the athletic center.

The university estimates it will replace about 6 percent of the energy in the complex with renewable energy.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 8:51 PM

I like it, It has that Jeffersonian style look to it.

Last edited by JoninATX; Jan 26, 2012 at 12:32 AM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post

I like it, It has that Jeffersonian style look to it.

Yes, this is a cool building. It is designed to fit in with the other buildings in the Old Parkland complex that Trammell Crow has redeveloped at a cost of $180 million dollars.

The other super cool thing about this is that the World Headquarters for Omni Hotels and Resorts and Gold's Gym International are relocating from the Dallas suburbs (Las Colinas in Irving) to Central Dallas, bringing 300 well-paid employees with them. The parent company of the two is TRT Holdings and it is of course relocating as well.

This new headquarters building located at 4001 Maple Avenue will be 6 stories tall, 170,000 square feet in size and will cost $56 million to build. It is expected to open in the summer of 2013.

The building will be of the highest caliber and will feature numerous amenities designed to help attract and retain top employees to the companies, including a café, health club, conference center, underground parking and a spacious back patio.

The fact that it is located within Downtown Dallas' highly desirable and hot Uptown/Turtle Creek District was a major motivating factor for the corporate headquarters relocation.

The second image above is looking north of where the new headquarters building will be located. It shows the empty parcel of land where the 6 story building will rise. One can see in the very near distance the Dallas Medical District with the 2.5 million square foot at $1.3 billion dollar state-of-the-art new Parkland Hospital under construction with its multiple cranes.

Cheers for Dallas!

Last edited by skys the limit; Jan 26, 2012 at 1:52 AM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 8:04 AM
~Hook'em~

Perhaps it is just me but I really don't care much for that new TRT building.

I don't really like the look, but most of all it is not only set way the heck back providing nothing to the street, but also is that whole part of the street is now fenced off.

Should have stayed in the burbs IMO.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Any large scale TODs planned?
Here is one that is on the drawing boards that would be constructed right next to the Dallas DART Mockingbird Station.

There are others planned that I will post later, but this is a really nice one.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 8:38 AM

I guess you could consider the new construction at the West Village a large scale TOD. Two buildings under construction, new trolley turntable. Another building announced, but still not sure when construction starts.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skys the limit View Post
Here is one that is on the drawing boards that would be constructed right next to the Dallas DART Mockingbird Station.

There are others planned that I will post later, but this is a really nice one.

Wow! I really like this Mockingbird Station building! I had heard a year or so ago that apartments were planned for the parking lot there, but I just assumed it would be the typical 5-8 story apt projects popping up all over the city.
Let's hope this happens!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2012, 6:09 AM

Lightbulb

They should also be starting this one up in March. Dallas is renovation & restoring a whole bunch of its obsolete buildings in downtown. http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfa...1_elm_redo.php

"As per 1401 Elm Street, our plans will shape up upon reviewing HBU [highest and best use] studies done for us by CBRE and A&M. We expect to reach a definitive "Use Plan" for the building as well as the specifications corresponding to each use, be it Residential, Retail, Hospitality, and/or Office within February.

Our plans call for starting the construction within early March, with completion in 18-24 months depending on the level of renovations called for.

TIF agreement with the City will be signed and delivered to them end of this Month. We will also share the HBU studies, and our plans with the City officials, and involve them in the process so that what we create for Dallas is in line with their vision as well."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations