HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 9:59 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Her/his opinion is informed by some stated facts though, so let's not immediately discount it.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 1:37 AM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
her/his opinion is informed by some stated facts though, so let's not immediately discount it.
+1

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
+1
Gee... a Forum without opinions. What a liberal, inspiring idea. Why the hell didn't I think of that? Of course, caution should be exercised. Some might feel so threatened by the idea that they would have to retire to their "safe space".

I KEEP SPIRITS HANDY IN CASE I SEE A SNAKE...
WHICH I ALSO KEEP HANDY

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICEVET View Post
Gee... a Forum without opinions. What a liberal, inspiring idea. Why the hell didn't I think of that? Of course, caution should be exercised. Some might feel so threatened by the idea that they would have to retire to their "safe space".

I KEEP SPIRITS HANDY IN CASE I SEE A SNAKE...
WHICH I ALSO KEEP HANDY
You spelled "Orwellian" wrong.

Then again...

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 2:56 AM

You guys are really bad at political discourse, and should probably stick to opinions about buildings and such.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 4:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
You guys are really bad at political discourse, and should probably stick to opinions about buildings and such.
Nice. You should be a Mod for the S.A. forum.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
No opinions allowed. AsomeSAView said so.

The real problem is, whenever anyone tries to have a discussion on these threads, he comes in carping about everyone's comments. If he weren't so rude, this would not be an issue.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2017, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
No opinions allowed. AsomeSAView said so.

The real problem is, whenever anyone tries to have a discussion on these threads, he comes in carping about everyone's comments. If he weren't so rude, this would not be an issue.
Here's a good point to ponder. Whenever someone on the Forum uses a word or expression such as "Agree", "Disagree", "Believe", "Feel", "Suggest", "Support", "Oppose", etc., they are stating a form of OPINION. A perusal of the definition of "Forum", put simply, is a medium or place for the exchange of values and ideas, which are merely forms of OPINION. Suppression of the chance to set forth those values or ideas is mission creep rolling up on censureship. With as many different topics as we engage, how can we learn anything without review or examination of other poster's beliefs and opinions? Criticism of another poster's points should at least be accomplished with a little dignity, courtesy and couth and without outright insult. Political discourse??!! Are you kidding me??!! I had no idea that our banal jawjacking had even begun to reach such an exalted level.

Those with time to indulge in the exquisite agonies of pacifier withdrawal might note that when infants hear that which displeases them, they cry, too. When we can no longer tolerate hearing anything we disagree with, it says a lot about our own level of intellectual maturity or lack thereof.
At least we now know that, in the absence of opinions, this cannot be a Forum. So what the heck is it? Ho-hum, yawn. Perhaps it's just as well that we can't know the answer. Besides, no one's listening, anyway. The percentage of the human race that reads anything we write must be about a decimal point and the numeral "1" separated by a thousand zeros.

After all, all of this is just my uninformed, inconsequential, insignificant, immaterial, irrelevant, unjustified, humdrum, disrespectful, intolerant, annoying, me-no-talkee-good-yangui OPINION.

When there is no basis for an argument,
ABUSE THE PLAINTIFF

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 5:03 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

San Antonio International Airport extends record passenger traffic

Quote:
Just over 2 million passengers passed through the terminals at San Antonio International Airport during the first quarter of this year. That’s the largest first-quarter traffic count on record for the North Side facility.
Quote:
The news was better on the domestic front, where passenger traffic was up more than 9 percent in March from a year ago.

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 2:36 AM

Air Canada..

This article is from early March but still this is great!

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...r-new-san.html

Maybe Vancouver can be next!

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAhometown View Post
This article is from early March but still this is great!

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...r-new-san.html

Maybe Vancouver can be next!
Would be awesome! A London or Frankfurt route would be nice as well!

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 1:48 PM

Volaris to launch new nonstop flights from San Antonio to Mexico

Quote:
San Antonio leaders see this latest score as another opportunity to draw more international visitors to the Alamo City. San Antonio Aviation Director Russ Handy said the new Volaris flights are a “major win” for local leaders who continue to push to expand air access and attract more passengers.

Volaris plans to begin the new service from San Antonio on the eve of Mexico’s Independence Day. The new flights will be offered seven days a week on the airline's 179-seat Airbus A320 aircraft. Volaris' expanding presence in San Antonio is tied in part to a boost in SAT leadership that included the hiring of Brian Pratte as air services administrator a year ago.

This is a significant win because this would fill the hole (at least partially) left when Southwest pulled the Mexico City route in favor of an additional daily to Hobby International.

Old Posted May 21, 2017, 11:16 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

We need to find a way to extend a runway (or two) to at least 10,000 ft. in order to be considered for a trans-Atlantic flight. Forget any Asian flights at this point.

Let's not fool ourselves. 8,500 ft. will not do it...

We need to do it quickly. Austin is already in negotiations with more European & at least two Asian carriers. We'll be left in the wind.

Old Posted May 22, 2017, 12:04 AM

Has anybody used Air Canada's new service yet? I plan to use it in October en route to London and will be the first time I fly with Air Canada. I hope SAT can sustain this service, it's such a welcome sight.

Old Posted May 22, 2017, 6:14 AM

Iluvsat is correct in terms of runway length. There won't be be a scheduled transatlantic flight unless, for the sake of temperature and distance, the runway/runways aren't at least 10,000 feet long. There are plans to lengthen them in the master plan, but I don't know if they are feasible monetarily.

Old Posted May 22, 2017, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynechef View Post
Iluvsat is correct in terms of runway length. There won't be be a scheduled transatlantic flight unless, for the sake of temperature and distance, the runway/runways aren't at least 10,000 feet long. There are plans to lengthen them in the master plan, but I don't know if they are feasible monetarily.
Do we know for sure 10K is required with actual numbers and modern aircraft?

San Diego is 9500 feet (versus 8500 here), but east->west operations are limited to effective length of 8200. We are hotter, but San Diego also has more terrain in both directions.

San Diego is also 600 miles further to LHR, for example, on great circle map. And they manage Frankfurt and Tokyo, both longer then LHR.

Last edited by pr57001; May 22, 2017 at 10:11 PM. Reason: typo

Old Posted May 23, 2017, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr57001 View Post

San Diego is 9500 feet (versus 8500 here), but east->west operations are limited to effective length of 8200. We are hotter, but San Diego also has more terrain in both directions.

San Diego is also 600 miles further to LHR, for example, on great circle map. And they manage Frankfurt and Tokyo, both longer then LHR.
I'm curious to this as well. Flightaware.com has pictures of 777's landing at SAT (Diverted Air France, Etihad from Houston) as well as 747's. Delta has a daily 757-200 flight to Atlanta out of SAT (I know not wide body, but shares a lot of dimensions with the 767).

Old Posted May 23, 2017, 4:35 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
I'm curious to this as well. Flightaware.com has pictures of 777's landing at SAT (Diverted Air France, Etihad from Houston) as well as 747's. Delta has a daily 757-200 flight to Atlanta out of SAT (I know not wide body, but shares a lot of dimensions with the 767).
It's the weight of the fuel. A diverted B772, B773 or B744 landing at SAT will be almost depleted of fuel.

Departing to an overseas destination full of fuel is a whole other question.

The B752 and the B762 (or B763) are not really comparable.

Old Posted May 23, 2017, 4:44 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr57001 View Post

Heat is not the only factor. In fact, heat would require one to have a longer runway. Air molecules are further apart meaning less lift and less oxygen for engine combustion.

Humidity also affects the required length for departure. The as humidity goes up, air pressure goes down - meaning less lift (or a longer takeoff requirement).

Also, humidity negatively affects jet engines. Because there is less oxygen in humid air, engines combust less and put out less thrust - again, requiring a longer runway.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 8:55 AM

Yea! Let's keep it going!

Record now at 10 consecutive month's of growth!

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...streak-as.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio