HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 31, 2019, 9:02 PM

This is just to give you guys an idea of what a 104 realignment at Oxford would look like, and why they likely won't do it. As far as I'm concerned, although not super heavily traveled, this is a very important section of highway 104 given that it is the only major route in and out of Nova Scotia. A north bypass of Oxford would be ridiculous, and quite the detour. This is just a rough design, which has some issues like the fact that it crosses the tracks twice and 2 interchanges would need to be completely re-done. It also crosses River Phillip at the interchange with the 321. Fortunately, the topography of the area isn't actually brutal, so it would be a relatively straight run. The area between the existing interchange at Oxford and the new one along the 321 seems sufficient enough to carry traffic in and out of Oxford. As we all know, Nova Scotia likes to be very cheap with this sort of thing so a multi-million dollar bypass like so would likely never happen. Again, rough idea, not perfect.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2019, 12:44 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Nice design!

Reminds me a bit of the new TCH alignment at Antigonish.

Welcome to the forums BTW.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2019, 12:45 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Yea welcome to SSP, LiamC.

I really like the outlook of your design. Which software did you use?

Also, I would suggest a folded parclo at Highway 321 (while retaining the roundabouts) to make construction more convenient and cost lower. As for the interchange with Highway 142, IMO we don’t really need to redo it if we are gonna abandon the current alignment altogether. That one should be similar to redesigning TCH Exit 29 at James River so I agree with MonctonRad’s comment.

Lastly, if the town of Oxford is upset with being bypassed, we can just renumber the part of Highway 321 between the new alignment and the town as a 100-series highway.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 11:26 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Trans-Canada Highway near Oxford, N.S., built over sinkhole, archival images confirm
Aerial photographs show huge hole was covered to build the four-lane highway
Brett Ruskin · CBC · Posted: Sep 24, 2019 6:00 AM AT | Last Updated: 10 minutes ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...aphs-1.5289394

Specifically the westbound travel lane.

Quote:
"Failure happens in a second," said El Naggar. "We don't know exactly when this catastrophic scenario will happen."

He said provincial officials need to do something "yesterday" to fix the sinkhole under the highway.

So far the provincial response is "nothing to see here, move along, move along"..............

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 2:40 PM

New Highway 102/103 ramp and overpass will open on Monday

The new and improved Highway 102/103 interchange will open on Thanksgiving.

As of sunrise on Monday, Oct. 14, drivers heading east on the 103 or north on the 102 will be using the new ramp and overpass.

Message boards will be along the affected routes to let people know about the change. Traffic control signs, cones and barriers will also be in place.

Construction work began last spring to replace the existing interchange, which was constructed in 1963.
Are there any other major projects opening in the Atlantic provinces this fall? One other I know of is the Cornwall Bypass, TCH 0Route 1 on PEI.. that section opens Oct 21.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 12:22 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I was looking at NB-1 through Petitcodiac and it got me curious. Did the highway use to run through the town as a 2-lane artery with at-grade intersections at Spring Street and at Old Post Road? Judging from the proximity to properties on both sides and from the position of the overpass for Highway 106 (Highway 905), it seems to me that the freeway was forced through the town.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 12:30 PM

No, the old highway followed the Rte 1 where it does now from west to east. It then followed what is now Plantation rd to the current Rte 106. There was an Irving restaurant at the current corner of the 106 and Plantation rd until the 4-lane section was opened.

Also, for a decade or so, the stretch of 4-lane highway through Petitcodiac was complete before the entire highway was twinned. Before this (prior to the late 80s or so) there were intersections across the highway into the town, including Old Post rd.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 1:29 AM

Work is now underway for Highway 102 Exit 8A which will see Lantz get direct access to Highway 102 approximately 1km north of Exit 8 (Elmsdale).

NSTIR Fact Sheet

Also work is underway on Highway 103 Twinning Tantallon - Ingramport. As work finishes up there it will progress south towards Hubbards. This will be built to rural expressway standards which is 30m+ depressed median. The currently nasty section at Mill Lake (NSP dam) is constrained so there will be a section with 21m depressed median with a cable barrier and new overpass.

NSTIR Information Page

Last edited by Dmajackson; Oct 23, 2019 at 1:45 AM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 3:17 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

And while we're at it:

Nice dashcam video of the newly opened Cornwall Bypass, on the western fringe of Charlottetown.

It's not divided, but is a "super two", and is a newly constructed segment of the TCH.

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 4:07 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://novascotia.ca/twinning/

Anyone here that’s from Antigonish? Open house on twinning in the first week of November.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 11:11 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEbW2BC5M1M

recent video of N.S.-103 twinning

Old Posted Nov 29, 2019, 11:55 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPwkuN7Spjs

recent video of N.S.-101 twinning

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 4:35 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Blaine Higgs has committed to completing twinning of Highway 11 north to the Little Bouctouche River except for building bridges across the Shediac & Cocagne rivers.

I suppose that's something, but personally I think the bridges are important too.

Hopefully, when there is an eventual regime change, the bridges will get built, and the divided section will get extended all the way to Bouctouche.........

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 4:51 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Is this in response to http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...241047&page=20 #381? What about 8 between Miramichi and Bathurst?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 4:55 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Is this in response to http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...241047&page=20 #381? What about 8 between Miramichi and Bathurst?
Nothing on Highway 8. Higgs really is not interested in expanding highway infrastructure in the province. He is quite definitely a fiscal conservative, but to his credit, is also a pragmatist. A lot of the work on twinning of 11 to the Little Bouctouche River is already completed. It only makes sense to see it through to the end. The sore point is those two bloody bridges........

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Blaine Higgs has committed to completing twinning of Highway 11 north to the Little Bouctouche River except for building bridges across the Shediac & Cocagne rivers.

I suppose that's something, but personally I think the bridges are important too.

Hopefully, when there is an eventual regime change, the bridges will get built, and the divided section will get extended all the way to Bouctouche.........
Is a funding agreement still in place to make this happen or will negotiations need to take place? I know there was an agreement, however, no work was done last year, AFAIK, so I am wondering what the status of the contract.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 5:38 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
Is a funding agreement still in place to make this happen or will negotiations need to take place? I know there was an agreement, however, no work was done last year, AFAIK, so I am wondering what the status of the contract.
The feds took the money back, AFAIK.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 6:00 PM

Quote:
The feds took the money back, AFAIK.
I think so too, I just did not want to state that the $$ is there if a new agreement is needed

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 4:42 PM

Quote:
There is enough passing lanes on both side that even at its busiest, you don't get stuck behind a truck or travel trailer for too long.

Highway 7 twinning between Fredericton and Saint John will happen way before the 8 between Bathurst and Miramichi.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 6:15 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Something that I’ve been wondering:
Now that Antigonish Bypass is completed, what should be done to the original alignment of N.S.-104? Should we revert it back to 2 lanes, should we simply take out the road altogether (and basically make people detour through the heart of the town whenever the freeway’s closed for whatever reason), or what else can we do?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces