HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 4:59 PM

I do not think that the 175 E Houston building is curved.
Just saying... The building my be situated diagonally.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 8:15 PM
JACKinBeantown

^^ You are correct. I was saying it's like a curved version of the (straight) 175 E Houston building.

I like this new building. Not award-winning based on outward appearances (to me anyway), but a nice building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
It's like a curved version of 175 E. Houston (the Majestic Theatre building).

https://images1.loopnet.com/i2/uc0Q0...to-2-Large.jpg
On a tangential note, too bad the 30-story companion to 175 E. Houston never got built in the 80s. It would have had a strong presence in the skyline.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 9:30 PM

Quote:
On a tangential note, too bad the 30-story companion to 175 E. Houston never got built in the 80s. It would have had a strong presence in the skyline.
I've always thought that lot on St Mary's next to it or where Bill Millers is would be prime for a bigger building. Honestly there's a lot of potential spots up that way.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 10:29 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOGalexd View Post
I've always thought that lot on St Mary's next to it or where Bill Millers is would be prime for a bigger building. Honestly there's a lot of potential spots up that way.
Way way back, in the 80s I guess, that lot on the corner was supposed to be the centerpiece tower of that little corporate plaza. I read it in a thread here years ago and can't find it again, but it was going to be similar to the Weston Center. But, it never happened of course.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 3:08 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
Way way back, in the 80s I guess, that lot on the corner was supposed to be the centerpiece tower of that little corporate plaza. I read it in a thread here years ago and can't find it again, but it was going to be similar to the Weston Center. But, it never happened of course.
Yes, it was going to be 30 stories with a complementary design to 175, but with some variations. They would have looked good together, along with the 5-story third building on the lot. I looked for an image online but couldn't find it. I see it in my head if someone has the technology to access my memories.

The developers originally wanted to tear down the Majestic Theatre, but there was a loud uproar from preservationists. As a result the theatre and its facade were incorporated into the design of the building. That's why it has an old facade as part of an 80s building.

An alternate design by Michael Graves was presented, but it looked ridiculous and was voted down. Then as the first two buildings were being constructed, financing fell through (because of the early 80s recession?) and the 30-story building was never built. Hence the parking lot on the corner of the property.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Yes, it was going to be 30 stories with a complementary design to 175, but with some variations. They would have looked good together, along with the 5-story third building on the lot. I looked for an image online but couldn't find it. I see it in my head if someone has the technology to access my memories.

The developers originally wanted to tear down the Majestic Theatre, but there was a loud uproar from preservationists. As a result the theatre and its facade were incorporated into the design of the building. That's why it has an old facade as part of an 80s building.

An alternate design by Michael Graves was presented, but it looked ridiculous and was voted down. Then as the first two buildings were being constructed, financing fell through (because of the early 80s recession?) and the 30-story building was never built. Hence the parking lot on the corner of the property.
Now I'm sad.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 4:18 AM

Quote:

Texas Theatre, not the Majestic. The Majestic is down the street, and only half of the facade of the Texas was saved, nothing else.

Here's a link for more info and pics of the Texas.
https://www.sanantoniouncovered.com/...s-theatre.html

Downtown is lucky to have three old movie palaces still standing, but there should be four. Losing the Texas Theatre was a huge loss and it shouldn't have happened.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 12:30 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
Texas Theatre, not the Majestic. The Majestic is down the street, and only half of the facade of the Texas was saved, nothing else.

Here's a link for more info and pics of the Texas.
https://www.sanantoniouncovered.com/...s-theatre.html

Downtown is lucky to have three old movie palaces still standing, but there should be four. Losing the Texas Theatre was a huge loss and it shouldn't have happened.
Thank you for correcting my English which is bad. (Trading Places).
Yup, I got the theater wrong. It's been a while since the 80s. Do I get any points for remembering all that other stuff?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 4:21 PM

When I was a tiny, tiny person, I saw the facade of the Texas Theater standing all alone. I remember feeling sad about it then.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 8:02 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
When I was a tiny, tiny person, I saw the facade of the Texas Theater standing all alone. I remember feeling sad about it then.
Yeah, grand old theaters (and other great old buildings, etc.) are places that once you lose them, they'll never get replaced. There might be something newer, but newer is usually not anywhere near as good as something that was a classic and had withstood the test of time up until that point. As it turned out in this case, the best part of the building complex that replaced it was never even built at all (the 30-story building). So the city lost a great old theater and got a mediocre office building with a weird sunken pit for a plaza.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 8:16 PM
JACKinBeantown

Here's a model of the Michael Graves proposal. It would have incorporated the theater, but then this 13-story monstrosity would be a visible blight on downtown San Antonio for the next couple hundred years. It looks like something out of Gumby's worst nightmare where the Blockheads have captured him and strapped him securely into a chair with toothpicks holding his eyes open so he'd be forced to stare at this pile of cut-and-paste cut-out shapes until he gave up the goods on Pokey only to learn that Pokey was already dead.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/republ...4218993358260/

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 9:50 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Holy fuck lol

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 10:13 PM

Brutalism ain’t got nothing on 80’s postmodernism when it comes to ugly.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Here's a model of the Michael Graves proposal. It would have incorporated the theater, but then this 13-story monstrosity would be a visible blight on downtown San Antonio for the next couple hundred years. It looks like something out of Gumby's worst nightmare where the Blockheads have captured him and strapped him securely into a chair with toothpicks holding his eyes open so he'd be forced to stare at this pile of cut-and-paste cut-out shapes until he gave up the goods on Pokey only to learn that Pokey was already dead.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/republ...4218993358260/
I'm in love!

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 8:59 PM

I think convention center is on top of where this used to be.

On this day in 1968, the HemisFair monorail derailed, killing one and injuring 47 others

https://www.expressnews.com/news/loc...h-17444035.php

The 1968 World's Fair in San Antonio was not without tragedy.

On this day in 1968, a 65-year-old woman named Emilee Schmidt from Missouri died and 47 others were injured after a monorail crashed and derailed during the second busiest day of the fair at what was then HemisFair Park. More than 89,000 people were at the fair that day, according to the Houston Chronicle.

A woman also had to be saved from drowning after the derailment after two of the 11 monorail cars that derailed landed in a lagoon. Several riders were thrown from the monorail cars as they came crashing down. The crash was caused by two trains bumping into one another on a curve in the track, according to San Antonio Express reporting.

"Witnesses said the cars derailed 'like a slow snake creeping down' after a mini-monorail struck another from behind," the Chronicle reported. The San Antonio Express described the scene as being like an accordion, as cars were pulled to the ground or into the lagoon below.

The normal speed of the trains was 5 1/2 to 6 mph. Following the derailment, an ambulance driving the injured to a hospital collided with a vehicle, injuring the driver of the ambulance and a passenger.

The HemisFair monorail served about 1 million riders during the fair. Parts of the overhead ride remained operational after Oct. 6, 1968, according to San Antonio Express-News archives.

Portions of the ride were kept in a city storage facility, as plans proposed to rebuild the monorail failed due to the high costs involved. The city decided to auction off leftover pieces in 1995, according to a previous Express-News story.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2022, 7:55 PM

‘A park that lasts generations’: Civic Park project at Hemisfair on track for 2023 completion

https://sanantonioreport.org/civic-p...fair-progress/

On one side of a tall chain-link construction fence along East Nueva Street, neighborhood residents walk their dogs, children run and play, and parents watch from park benches shaded by leafy trees.

On the other, crews on front-loaders move piles of rock and soil as stonemasons work under tilted canopies to lay massive sections of limestone brought by specialized forklifts.

The mesh sign on the barrier says “coming soon,” assurance to passersby that the $28 million park officials have said will transform a key pedestrian intersection in downtown San Antonio is well underway.

After pandemic-wrought delays, construction of Civic Park in a 5-acre section of Hemisfair began in January. On track to be completed in August 2023, two years later than originally planned, the first phase of the park is beginning to take shape.

A project manager for general contractor Skanska led a recent tour of the site where the park, designed by Seattle-based landscape architecture firm GGN, is being built along the west side of the Henry B. González Convention Center on the grounds of the 1968 World’s Fair.

Tom Hull, senior project manager for Skanska, considers Civic Park the work of a lifetime. “I’ve built schools and universities and those are cool … but this is a spot that my daughter will come to in 20 years and [say], ‘Hey, your granddad built this,’” he said.

“It’s one of those projects that you always want to have on your résumé that not everyone gets to have, and the team is really excited about what this is going to be and the vision,” he said.

Hemisfair part two

Civic Park was designed to be the “grandest” of Hemisfair’s park series, according to Hemisfair officials, a great public place not unlike urban greenspaces in other major cities, including Millennium Park in Chicago and Prospect Park in Brooklyn.

The city of Austin has Zilker Park, which the tourism site Thrillist calls one of the top 15 city parks in the United States. Also making the list are Boston Commons, Dolores Park in San Francisco and The Gathering Place in Tulsa, but New York City’s 843-acre Central Park, designed by the “father of landscape architecture,” Frederick Law Olmsted, set the standard.

In a city known for its linear parks, the vision for Civic Park began as part of the overall Hemisfair redevelopment plan. Former Mayor Phil Hardberger proposed the idea as a way to re-energize the tired former fairgrounds.

In 2009, City Council established the nonprofit Hemisfair Park Area Redevelopment Corporation to lead a public-private partnership. The first phase of Hemisfair was completed in 2015 when Yanaguana Garden opened to the public.

Voters agreed in 2017 to allocate $21 million for the next segment, Civic Park, which was expected to start in 2021 but delayed due to the pandemic and funding shortfalls. The project was later split into two phases with a second tract of 4 acres in the farthest northwest corner put on hold until the first phase is complete.

A timeline for what has been called Tower Park — the area surrounding the Tower of the Americas, the Institute of Texan Cultures, several historic structures from the World’s Fair and the former federal courthouse — are still undetermined.

Some progress has been made on plans for the eastern zone of Hemisfair, which is no longer being referred to by Hemisfair officials as Tower Park. An infrastructure review is ongoing in the area surrounding the Tower of the Americas as Hemisfair officials work through issues with historic rehabilitation of some structures and determine how to use the area.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 5:42 PM

Republic Bank Plaza/ Texas theater

This was a hard find......but I'm excited to share with everyone

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 5:44 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Thank you for your service.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 6:03 PM

What a shame! Reminds me of the hobby building here in Austin, except much taller and more attractive, lol.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 8:05 PM

Oh damn lol that was a big missed opportunity. Hopefully at some point that lot gets developed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio