HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 3:01 AM

It's been a while since I've been on here and over a year since getting back to Saskatoon. Great to see some of the progress of our own glass towers of Riverlanding, the development building quick behind Sask Cr off Broadway and the facelift of the buildings along 2nd Ave. Pretty tough to see such hard times for independent stores and venues in town, specifically along 2nd Ave and 20th street.

Happy to see so many taking advantage of such epic trails, parks and beaches throughout the backbone of our city along the river - it's a pretty special feature not many cities in the world have. Still wishing we had a few more patios you could see the river from but Shift Cafe at Remai and Bess Patio will have to do for now! Does anyone know if any of the new highrise builds will include public accessible rooftop patios? Prairie Sun on Broadway is looking nicer than I thought...still think it's a waste to not have any rooftop patio space on the heart of Broadway though!

I also thought I'd share this great insight on the History of the Renaissance specific to the mindset of how to construct cities with intention to focus on art, creative architecture and layout to uplift the human experience! Wish we would think like this more often as a global society! (starts at 7min30) :
https://youtu.be/fI1OeMmwYjU?t=450

Cheers!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 4:25 PM
Registered Geek

MOA Market of Asia

The old Jerry's Food Emporium, just off 8th Street is now a MOA Market of Asia. This is their 2nd location in Saskatoon I believe with the other location on the West side of Saskatoon over on Dawes Avenue.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCricket View Post
The old Jerry's Food Emporium, just off 8th Street is now a MOA Market of Asia. This is their 2nd location in Saskatoon I believe with the other location on the West side of Saskatoon over on Dawes Avenue.
Was just there on Saturday--not as nice as the West side store, but good to have the East side option now. And the parking lot sucks.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 1:32 AM

Quote:
NWT mine operator moves closer to building plant in Sask
Published: September 28, 2020 at 9:37am OLLIE WILLIAMS

Cheetah Resources, which hopes to begin operations at the Nechalacho site on Thor Lake next year, said last week it had signed a term sheet to begin negotiations toward establishing a plant in Saskatoon.

A term sheet is an agreement outlining the terms and conditions under which an investment is to be made. The facility is expected to cost around $5 million to build.

Cheetah says it will now negotiate with the Saskatchewan Research Council the full detail of an agreement to build and operate the plant.

The company ultimately envisages mining rare earths in the NWT, transporting the raw material to Saskatoon, and turning that into a rare-earth carbonate at its extraction plant.

The carbonate would then head next door to a separate processing plant funded by Saskatchewan’s provincial government, which is already under construction in north Saskatoon.

https://cabinradio.ca/45983/news/eco...plant-in-sask/
Some good news for Saskatoon. If this plant is built, it'll be the first in North America apparently.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
Some good news for Saskatoon. If this plant is built, it'll be the first in North America apparently.
Sounds cool but $5M is p*ssy change.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 1:53 PM

Saskatoon city council unanimously backs affordable rental housing project in Blairmore suburb | CBC News https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...ium%3Dsharebar

This is great to see that this was approved despite some ridiculous outrage from the community (it'll have bright Metis colours! My property values will decrease!).

It's off in the suburbs, but it's a cool looking mixed use development that serves a very important need in our community. And of any location, this is a good one for affordability with so many amenities being right there.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 2:07 PM

Definitely very happy to see this affordable housing project proceed in our city. These projects will hopefully, in time, help reduce the load that the Lighthouse has been dealing with.

With the federal government having announced massive spending for affordable housing, I suspect we'll hear some more developments within the next 12-18 months. The next step will be planning and executing on adequate social programs to help these individuals get up and running once they have a safe roof over the heads. This is just the first step.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...if-we-act-now/

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Ralph View Post
Sounds cool but $5M is p*ssy change.
True, but it's in addition to another $31 million dollar rare earths plant. It's an decent investment into an industry that literally doesn't exist anywhere else on this continent.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 1:17 PM

No surprise here about MEC looking to get out of their lease now. I think we all saw that coming with new ownership, but super disappointing nonetheless.

Will be interesting to see how far Midtown gets with their court filing on the sale. Seems hopeless to me!

https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...askatoon-lease

EDIT whoops, sorry....just saw this same story and link was posted to Saskatoon retail area....likely more appropriate.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 4:26 PM
danylo66

Cushman & Wakefield has a new retail development coming up at the corner of Wentz Ave and 51st Street. One of the tenants will have a drive-thru, while the other building have some very interesting designs ie. I'm not sure what they will be. Is anyone in the know of what's going to be there? C&W has still not posted the site on their web site and only recently places signs showing the overall look.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 8:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
No surprise here about MEC looking to get out of their lease now. I think we all saw that coming with new ownership, but super disappointing nonetheless.

Will be interesting to see how far Midtown gets with their court filing on the sale. Seems hopeless to me!

https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...askatoon-lease

EDIT whoops, sorry....just saw this same story and link was posted to Saskatoon retail area....likely more appropriate.
Part of me feels ok with this.. Midtown is not at all utilizing their land downtown to its full potential - that surface parking lot in front of MEC doesn’t need to be there and MEC didn’t really offer any new products to Saskatoon. Maybe Cushman will feel like they’re over leveraged in debt with Midtown after this failure renovation..sell some land to the city for the arena? One can only hope. The mall owns way too much surface parking in our downtown.

Down with surface parking!! haha

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YXE View Post
http://www.cushmanwakefieldsaskatoon...h-jan-2020.pdf

I'm not sure how long this has been up for, but it looks like this building is set for a remodel before being sold in pieces as commercial condos. Seems like something that would be put on a website until they get some bites, meaning who knows if and when it'll actually happen.
Drove by this building the other day and each floor had a "sold" sign in the window! Is there one company taking over the entire building?

That is great they got such a quick and positive response to this reno!!

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 5:35 PM
Unregistered User

I was poking around real estate listings and came across this project in Varsity View. Not sure whether it has been shared or not but could be interesting. Though it's probably dead in the water if the developer is selling the entire site.

https://www.point2homes.com/CA/Multi.../94151117.html

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 7:24 PM

Demolition of the house on the corner of Osler and Clarence is underway (or maybe complete?) and it looks like work on this - https://thenewbury.ca/ - will start soon. That's great to see.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 8:18 PM

I live in Varsity View and unlike many others in this neighborhood, I am all for good infill development. Maybe because I am a "newbie" to the neighborhood and don't have the same "don't change anything" attitude that so many residents in this neighborhood seem to have.

I still remember attending a public input meeting on the (I am sure) now dead North Prairie development at corner of Clarence and College...and there was such a negative reaction to it... led by the President of the community association who is running for city council in this area. I sure hope Ms. Cynthia Block retains her seat!!

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Drove by this building the other day and each floor had a "sold" sign in the window! Is there one company taking over the entire building?

That is great they got such a quick and positive response to this reno!!
Now compare this with the beautiful River Quarry that’s not been vacant for what feels like over a year(?). I suppose Saskatoon doesn’t have a lot of large-scale companies that shift around/come around that often. Definitely disappointing as it’s a stunning remodel of what was before, and is designed for larger plans down the road.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 1:11 AM

Quote:
I live in Varsity View and unlike many others in this neighborhood, I am all for good infill development. Maybe because I am a "newbie" to the neighborhood and don't have the same "don't change anything" attitude that so many residents in this neighborhood seem to have.

I still remember attending a public input meeting on the (I am sure) now dead North Prairie development at corner of Clarence and College...and there was such a negative reaction to it... led by the President of the community association who is running for city council in this area. I sure hope Ms. Cynthia Block retains her seat!!
Holy shit, that’s terrifying.

Has anyone paid attention to particular candidates coming in/out who could swing the topic of infill development one way or another? Charlie excels in this regard - he fully gets it.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 4:34 PM
Gone

Browsing through the Development Appeals Board notices, I came across an early peek at Meridian's proposed project for the parking lot of the Knox United Church at Spadina and 24th.

19 storeys, with one floor of underground parking and four levels of parking in the podium, bistro space on the ground floor, two levels of office on the 3rd and 4th facing Spadina, and 112 residential units from the 5th to 19th floors.

Source is this pdf. There are a few more renderings, elevation drawings and some floor plans if you want to take a look.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 5:59 PM

Man....I am really not sure what I think of that rendering....
Certainly would be the most 'modern' looking highrise in Saskatoon, but I can't get the Jetson's out of my head!

Look forward to seeing what others think! Regardless....good for Meridian for not being boring!!!

EDIT: I just noticed the application to planning was not approved...it does state that they may appeal. I really hope this does not result in Meridian walking away...I know they were super frustrated with the process for Escala.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormo View Post
Browsing through the Development Appeals Board notices, I came across an early peek at Meridian's proposed project for the parking lot of the Knox United Church at Spadina and 24th.

19 storeys, with one floor of underground parking and four levels of parking in the podium, bistro space on the ground floor, two levels of office on the 3rd and 4th facing Spadina, and 112 residential units from the 5th to 19th floors.
Wow, that is quite a fascinating proposal! As someone not familiar with Meridian, what are the odds this actually goes forward? What would be the expected completion date?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan