HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 5:43 PM

Is there any reason that Regina doesn't like grass?

Hi, I'm new to this city, and I find there is few grass on the street side, is there any certain reason?

more can be found:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562983165wQhbJL

Last edited by newreg; Apr 3, 2008 at 6:05 PM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 6:09 PM

What's so great about grass anyway? It has to be mowed, fertilized, and weeded to look good. That's expensive and often requires the use of harmful chemicals. Patches die from sand and salt spray coming off the road.

There's better alternatives to grass - and ugly tracts of gravel, for that matter. Using native grasses and flower species would be attractive, ecologically friendly and practically maintenance-free.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 7:09 PM

grass isn't as enviornmentally friendly as other landscaping materials in dry regions like Saskatchewan. Maybe that has something to do with it.

I noticed one of the pictures in your album, 'Wascana Lake' actually has a fair bit of grass in the picture, it's just still brown because of winter. The rest of the ground is compacted sand because it's a pedestrian trail

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 7:15 PM
I am a typical

Grass doesn't grow everywhere, and shouldn't be the only option for landscaping.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 8:06 PM

I've read that 1 trillion liters of water are used in North America every year to keep our lawns green. I believe some cities have started giving incentives to not have grass (Ottawa and Vancouver come to mind).

In our new house, we'll be using gravel and native-to-AB plants in our front for landscaping, and a patio, low maintanence plants, and fake grass in our backyard. We already waste enough water inside, I don't want to continue wasting it outside.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 8:19 PM
http://www.archiseek.com

I'm replacing my front yard this year with more native plants instead of watering a lawn all summer

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 9:06 PM

Newreg - sorry, went a little off-topic I guess...Calgary is really lacking in that regard too. In fact, after being in the Okanagan, Regina, and Winnipeg last year, I'd say Calgary's blvds, medians, etc are absolutely the worst. Half-dead trees in some places, nothing but concrete or dead grass in others.

I think the gravel in the photos you posted look much nicer - though, I do agree that native grasslands grasses or shrubs would do a lot to make it look better.

On the prairies, Winnipeg had the best flower containers I've seen yet (last year)...though, the warmer nights there and Regina means different tropicals can also be used.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2008, 7:16 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWest View Post
Newreg - sorry, went a little off-topic I guess...Calgary is really lacking in that regard too. In fact, after being in the Okanagan, Regina, and Winnipeg last year, I'd say Calgary's blvds, medians, etc are absolutely the worst. Half-dead trees in some places, nothing but concrete or dead grass in others.

I think the gravel in the photos you posted look much nicer - though, I do agree that native grasslands grasses or shrubs would do a lot to make it look better.

On the prairies, Winnipeg had the best flower containers I've seen yet (last year)...though, the warmer nights there and Regina means different tropicals can also be used.
I agree with you there .. Calgary is fairly brown at the best of times.

As far as Regina goes .. I don't understand the concerns of the upkeep of grass. Regina has the natural sollution.. millions of geese eating up the grass and crapping manuture. No mowing or chemicals needed.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2008, 1:21 PM
I am a typical

The manure piles up too much on the surface and kills it actually. :\

It closes all the beaches here for the first half of summer. It sucks. Geese shouldn't exist.

THERE IS A REASON THEY'RE NOT ON THE MONEY!!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 2:47 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
The manure piles up too much on the surface and kills it actually. :\

It closes all the beaches here for the first half of summer. It sucks. Geese shouldn't exist.

THERE IS A REASON THEY'RE NOT ON THE MONEY!!
Well they could use goats, but they may get in the way of traffic.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 6:35 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

has no lawn riped it out and built a custom cement circle patio with stones between the pads... got rid of a whack of mosquitoes

grass is so over rated... has a nice big garden in my yard perhaps 3 years of leting it go wild is enuff time to dig it up and plant the garden again

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 8:30 PM
BANNED

Xeriscaping is probably the best choice for everyone. Less costly, less water and maintenance and uses natural plants.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 9:10 AM
Youth of a Nation

green indoor outdoor carpet, im sure that a nice grassy feel. lol

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 2:23 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Are gravel medians actually common in Regina or are these just pictures of one particular location?

According to the averages, Regina is much drier than I thought it was (under 400 mm of precipitation per year - I've seen more than that in one month).

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 2:36 AM

It's too bad Regina puts such little effort into landscaping. I can understand the reluctance to use grass though, it's grown and covered with sand and salt from winter for 3/4 of the year.

Those corny pot plants on the blvds do little neither.

Let's just go the dandelion route. Everyone LOVES dandelions, right?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 2:37 AM
Canadian Urbanite

The Pots on the boulevards are the worst.

Plant some trees!!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 8:21 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
According to the averages, Regina is much drier than I thought it was (under 400 mm of precipitation per year - I've seen more than that in one month).
That's probably a common perception. I've heard people say Thunder Bay is the snowiest city in Canada -- meanwhile, we get barely more than Toronto.

The problem with planting trees near busy roads is because the traffic and winter maintenance (road salt and plowing) makes it hard for the trees to grow. Many saplings die in their first year, and considering their cost would be unattractive for a busy road. Two trees along my street this winter were destroyed by snow plows, and one even had a cast iron thing around! And in the suburbs, they always die, even in nice areas.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan