HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 22, 2015, 6:48 AM

I was wondering what the hold up was with Endeavor and the Saltillo tract project:

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news...3948020.735832

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 6:00 PM

The Arnold is making some progress.

The office building is getting windows and looking a little less like a parking garage.

I found some new renderings on their facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-A...17342531921013

On the other side of the tracks the old warehouse at 5th and Chicon is now gone making way for more condos.

East Side Station Apartment project looks to be about topped out. I'm curious about what kind of exterior finish it will have since I haven't been able to find and renderings for it.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 8:07 PM

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but a site plan was filed yesterday for City Line at MLK - a TOD apparently. None of the constant flow of east side projects seem to stand out to me, so I don't keep track of them.

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11408230

Here's a rendering:

http://www.citylineaustin.com/about.html

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 7:55 PM

Is this really the best we can do in terms of TOD density? Surely there is demand for more multifamily units in transit-accessible places like MLK no?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqibtalib View Post
Is this really the best we can do in terms of TOD density? Surely there is demand for more multifamily units in transit-accessible places like MLK no?
Are you calling for more quantity of projects or greater density in this individual project? I'm sure we will see many more of these slowly filling in areas of the east side, except for those occupied by affordable housing. I really hope we find a way increase density of the existing low density affordable housing so there is a cohesive neighborhood. Otherwise there are going to be patches of low density housing breaking up neighborhoods.

Optimistically, in the 5-year time frame there is going to be quite an urban neighborhood from E. 6th up to Airport with some clusters around each red line stop. Originally I didn't see the benefit of building the red line on the east side, but it's becoming apparent as development follows transportation. Those who are tragically dead set on the urban rail "locally preferred alignment" should take note.

Sorry for getting slightly off topic. If you haven't driven around south/central East Austin, I'd recommend a bike tour for viewing new density slowly creeping in around Manor and MLK.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 2:36 AM
World Traveler

Last time I was in Austin I visited some friends who live on Manor. It is really impressive, little by little. I like the feel of the area.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Matt View Post
Are you calling for more quantity of projects or greater density in this individual project? I'm sure we will see many more of these slowly filling in areas of the east side, except for those occupied by affordable housing. I really hope we find a way increase density of the existing low density affordable housing so there is a cohesive neighborhood. Otherwise there are going to be patches of low density housing breaking up neighborhoods.

Optimistically, in the 5-year time frame there is going to be quite an urban neighborhood from E. 6th up to Airport with some clusters around each red line stop. Originally I didn't see the benefit of building the red line on the east side, but it's becoming apparent as development follows transportation. Those who are tragically dead set on the urban rail "locally preferred alignment" should take note.

Sorry for getting slightly off topic. If you haven't driven around south/central East Austin, I'd recommend a bike tour for viewing new density slowly creeping in around Manor and MLK.
Or ride MetroRail to experience all the construction happening around it.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Matt View Post
Are you calling for more quantity of projects or greater density in this individual project? ... If you haven't driven around south/central East Austin, I'd recommend a bike tour for viewing new density slowly creeping in around Manor and MLK.
I'm calling for greater density in each of these projects in the TOD districts. Instead of 2-3 story buildings I'd like to see some 5-6 story (or greater) buildings. It just seems like a wasted opportunity, and the demand is clearly there.

I take the RedLine to work from MLK to Kramer every day and see how much demand there is for this service, despite its high fare.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqibtalib View Post
I'm calling for greater density in each of these projects in the TOD districts. Instead of 2-3 story buildings I'd like to see some 5-6 story (or greater) buildings. It just seems like a wasted opportunity, and the demand is clearly there.

I take the RedLine to work from MLK to Kramer every day and see how much demand there is for this service, despite its high fare.
I would completely agree. Looking at what Denver has done, for example, with TOD is really impressive. TOD can create a sense of place (as a neighborhood entry point) and gives good clusters of retail and offices. Would love to see more density built into TOD in East Austin.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 11:57 PM
World Traveler

I agree, but I also think that a lot of these developments are at least steps in the right direction. There's just the danger of the most prime spots losing out to shorter, less dense developments, of course. However, it has to start somewhere and I think what's happening isn't the best, but it's certainly not terrible.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 3:40 AM

Does anyone know the limits for TOD zoning? I couldn't find much but did get this from a city report:

Transit Oriented Development (TOD) Overlay District
The initiation of a station area plan establishes a transit-oriented development area surrounding Capital Metro commuter rail stations. While the station area plans are being developed, property surrounding each rail station is zoned with the TOD overlay district, which increases density around the rail station. All of the property covered by the plan is zoned TOD, with the uses and site development standards specified in the Station Area Regulating Plan.

I would love to see 100 footers near the stations tapering off as you get farther away.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Does anyone know the limits for TOD zoning? I couldn't find much but did get this from a city report:

Transit Oriented Development (TOD) Overlay District
The initiation of a station area plan establishes a transit-oriented development area surrounding Capital Metro commuter rail stations. While the station area plans are being developed, property surrounding each rail station is zoned with the TOD overlay district, which increases density around the rail station. All of the property covered by the plan is zoned TOD, with the uses and site development standards specified in the Station Area Regulating Plan.

I would love to see 100 footers near the stations tapering off as you get farther away.
Here's the document for Crestview. I imagine there's similar ones for the other stations.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/npzd/Austi...in_regplan.pdf

Looks like no 100-footers. 60 feet base, more with "development bonuses". Probably the most they could get without fighting the NA.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Here's the document for Crestview. I imagine there's similar ones for the other stations.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/npzd/Austi...in_regplan.pdf

Looks like no 100-footers. 60 feet base, more with "development bonuses". Probably the most they could get without fighting the NA.
I see TODs like the Crestview station as being the most useful zoning innovation at this point. They take concepts being used in the big PUDs like Mueller and the Grove at Shoal Creek and actually apply them to walkable destinations. Downtown and Domain (and the PUDs) should really take note and incorporate more transit into their designs rather than it being an after thought. If the Red Line went
straight down the center of Mueller or Domain, their neighborhood plans would make a lot more sense. Hopefully MetroRapid can be used to fill in where we couldn't do this with light or urban rail.

Edit: Oh yeah, the old neighborhoods around Seattle are basically TODs based on old streetcar connectivity and those are some of the most walkable non-CBD neighborhoods in America.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 4:16 PM

In the case of the Domain I think there was a NIMBY-ish issue where people didn't want the MetroRapid going down Domain Drive and that's why it stops on Alterra next to Le Cordon Bleu's parking lot which I feel could've been avoided if there was some kind of transit plan more integrated into the development.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digatisdi View Post
In the case of the Domain I think there was a NIMBY-ish issue where people didn't want the MetroRapid going down Domain Drive and that's why it stops on Alterra next to Le Cordon Bleu's parking lot which I feel could've been avoided if there was some kind of transit plan more integrated into the development.
Long-term, why would you want it to go down domain drive? That's on the edge of the domain. Where it stops now is actually more central to the larger Domain/Burnet development (including the stuff going in East of Burnet).

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digatisdi View Post

The Domain has always been anti-public transport. The original MetroRail connector bus (466) USED to go through the Domain, but it was kicked out (all the roads inside of the domain are private). CapMetro tried in vain to reestablish service inside.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Long-term, why would you want it to go down domain drive? That's on the edge of the domain. Where it stops now is actually more central to the larger Domain/Burnet development (including the stuff going in East of Burnet).
I think the Alterra stop is too close to Kramer Station. If I remember correctly the plan is to have a Lone Star station at The Domain as well, with which I'd be happier with the current location of the stop, but I'd prefer it somewhere like Esperanza at Rock Rose instead of all the way out to Alterra.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2015, 1:24 AM
Honored Member

redacted

Last edited by Tech House; Sep 9, 2015 at 3:40 AM.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1 View Post
The Domain has always been anti-public transport. The original MetroRail connector bus (466) USED to go through the Domain, but it was kicked out (all the roads inside of the domain are private). CapMetro tried in vain to reestablish service inside.
Actually, it was the other way around. When the rail first started running, they wanted to run the 466 through the domain, but couldn't. However, they do now.

http://www.capmetro.org/schedmap/?svc=0&f1=466&s=0&d=K

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Actually, it was the other way around. When the rail first started running, they wanted to run the 466 through the domain, but couldn't. However, they do now.

http://www.capmetro.org/schedmap/?svc=0&f1=466&s=0&d=K
Looks like the route has been changed. When MetroRail first opened up, the circulator most definitely stopped on Domain Dr. That was maybe for ~6 months or so. I used to work up there.

Then it took them a long long time before they were able to come to terms with the Domain developers, but the route still seems a bit suboptimal to me:
https://capmetro.granicusideas.com/f...-to-the-domain

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin