HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 5:33 PM

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 7:25 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

He was going after the young lefties who drive the car. lol

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
He was going after the young lefties who drive the car. lol
You really need to stop......

Old Posted Jan 28, 2017, 1:00 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
You really need to stop......
Sure thing.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 2:54 AM

Not an update about the Austin hotel, but the first Scion Hotel is planned for Dallas with a 2019 opening. It will only be six stories, and here are some renderings. Foreign investors from Turkey, Qatar and Kazakhstan helped finance it.

Dallas Morning News:
http://www.dallasnews.com/business/r...owntown-dallas

Skift:
https://skift.com/2017/02/04/trump-h...ign-investors/

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Not an update about the Austin hotel, but the first Scion Hotel is planned for Dallas with a 2019 opening. It will only be six stories, and here are some renderings. Foreign investors from Turkey, Qatar and Kazakhstan helped finance it.

Dallas Morning News:
http://www.dallasnews.com/business/r...owntown-dallas

Skift:
https://skift.com/2017/02/04/trump-h...ign-investors/
According to the second article, this proposed hotel in Dallas is not a done deal. It is another "letter of intent" kind of announcement, and the Trump organization denies that there is yet a deal in place. Here is a quote:

"Sarimsakci, a Turkish native who said he has a master’s degree in construction engineering and management from Stanford University, said the individuals who are putting in money are relatives and members of his social network. No institutions are making an equity investment, he said. Equity investments will be 20 percent to 30 percent of the total cost.

Trump Hotels declined to comment on the project. “We don’t have any signed deals to discuss at this time,” the company said in a statement. Bobby Burchfield, the Republican attorney named to help oversee ethics compliance by the Trump Organization, said there is no certainty the project will go forward.

“My understanding is there were some negotiations about that some months ago, but there is no deal yet and it’s not clear that there will ever be a deal, so it’s not yet right for any sort of ethics review,” Burchfield said in a voicemail."

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 4:34 AM

It sounds like they may be dancing around possible ethics/conflicts issues. But of course no proposal is a done deal until it gets built. What I find interesting is that this first possible hotel in the new Scion brand is a definitely not the usual Trump branded luxury project.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 2:44 PM

It's like they stole the plans for the South Congress Hotel, added a little more glass, and dropped it in Dallas.

Color me skeptical.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
It's like they stole the plans for the South Congress Hotel, added a little more glass, and dropped it in Dallas.

Color me skeptical.
EDIT: also interesting -- you'd never know it's a Trump property if you hadn't been following their development strategies.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 10:38 PM

We should be hearing more about this project soon. The 180 day extension to clear comments for site plan approval expired on 03/08, and there is a handwritten comment on one of the attachments to the site plan indicating that it was approved on 03/07.
The site plan application still has it as 24-stories despite recent articles and renderings that indicate otherwise. There is a ground floor drawing available, and there appears to be no onsite parking. There is a small passenger loading area similar to the Aloft/Element hotel.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...rtyrsn=5112565

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post

Color me skeptical.
Branding aside, I actually like this rendering. I think it'd be a cool addition to that area, if only because of the street level stuff that that hotel seems to have. We definitely need more of that, in comparison to places like the fairmont that, while nice, won't have anything down below.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 2:22 PM

I guess they're hoping the new capitol view corridors approved for further study by city council last month won't actually become law? One goes right over that parcel and would limit the height to about 85 feet.

Presumably that one wouldn't be approved as written since it's already partially blocked by the Texas Municipal Retirement System building at 12th and I-35, but who knows.

They could fit in a skinny triangular flatiron building between the new corridors!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 11:47 PM
World Traveler

^^ I like to think that eventually all of the CVCs will be built out to max height, requiring more unique buildings for the unrestricted sections that remain. It'll be neat to see how the CVCs inspire unique architecture in the future. It's certainly already taken what would be rectangular prisms and hacked off sections to create more unique buildings in many areas.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
^^ I like to think that eventually all of the CVCs will be built out to max height, requiring more unique buildings for the unrestricted sections that remain. It'll be neat to see how the CVCs inspire unique architecture in the future. It's certainly already taken what would be rectangular prisms and hacked off sections to create more unique buildings in many areas.
I think by unique, they'll mostly be short, squatty rectangles as we have so many CVCs now (and even more proposed) that there aren't really that many uniquely shaped "gaps" anymore, especially looking east.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 12:25 PM
JACKinBeantown

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 1:01 PM
World Traveler

^^ Haha, I was thinking about that a couple days ago with some of the pictures of the CVCs in 3D views...just how high do the CVCs go?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 1:17 PM

I wonder if it's possible to avoid CVC restrictions with an open area at the base of a tall building? I bet the CVC creators never considered that. But we still have enough available sites downtown for another building boom or two before such things would be seriously considered.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 9:00 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I wonder if it's possible to avoid CVC restrictions with an open area at the base of a tall building? I bet the CVC creators never considered that. But we still have enough available sites downtown for another building boom or two before such things would be seriously considered.
It would depend on how close the building is to the Capitol. The closer it would be the shorter the building would need to be, in which case having it stand on stilts would be almost pointless. But if it were several blocks away, it could be done. There are plenty of skyscrapers all over the world that stand on pedestals to avoid something beneath them. New York's Citigroup Center is one of the more popular examples. It was built on the site of a church, and the tower stands on a pedestal that takes up a small enough space on the lot to allow the church to stay. Several of Seattle's tallest buildings also stand on pedestals. By the way, that one in New York had some structural engineering mistakes that could have become a disaster. The building had to be structurally retrofitted to correct the problem.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
By the way, that one in New York had some structural engineering mistakes that could have become a disaster. The building had to be structurally retrofitted to correct the problem.
Here's an interesting piece about that building

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 9:24 PM

http://www.mystatesman.com/business/...CeCB9phJy2OeL/

Now called Hotel Mirabeau. Trump Cos. no longer (or were never?) affiliated. The operator will be Capella Hotel Group. Will be 33 stories (ding ding ding Austin Plateau achieved!) with 297 rooms and an amazing amount of space. They must be including pool deck, lobby, other public spaces in their 282k sq ft "space" count.

Capella is very interesting. Manages and develops independent resorts, spas, hotels almost exclusively abroad. The only US property is the Hotel at Auburn University (!!) -- incidentally, an old boss of mine is the Director of Sales at that property. The day to day management is lead by a former exec from Ritz Carlton.

Still weird to me that that area is a target for a luxury development.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin