HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 10:18 PM
Meh

A story KVUE did in 1985 about the mastadon fossils that were found at the 301 Congress site during its construction.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/hi...1dIo3fPuEcHbuQ

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
These show the Austin I remember when I was a kid (1978) and my college days (1990). Looking at the 1990 photo makes me feel like I'm there now. Especially since I was an intern at the Statesman and had a window on the third floor of that small slice of wall looking directly at downtown (just below the reflection of the sky between the two buildings in the river). #Nostalgia
That 1990 photo is how I remember Austin as well. What a great time of my life there during the early 90's. The nostalgia of places like Lizard Lounge/Numbers, Curfew/Mirage, Backstreet/Basics, Planetarium, the Underground, etc. Also a great time in Austin when you could listen to the radio and actually hear good songs. #B93 #KHFI #KNACK107.7

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 5:41 AM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by azliam View Post
That 1990 photo is how I remember Austin as well. What a great time of my life there during the early 90's. The nostalgia of places like Lizard Lounge/Numbers, Curfew/Mirage, Backstreet/Basics, Planetarium, the Underground, etc. Also a great time in Austin when you could listen to the radio and actually hear good songs. #B93 #KHFI #KNACK107.7
Speaking of B93, here's a 1987 VHS-recorded commercial from our old collection. Mike Butts and friends strolling down 6th St with a Bee

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 5:46 AM
Austinite

Also from our VHS collection - Local television coverage of the February 1985 snow "event" ... 35 years ago this week. Channel 36 still had the KTVV call-letters (now KXAN).

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 3:52 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
I've been trying to find some recordings of B93 from that era. Unfortunately I didn't record any myself. If anyone has any tape recordings of either B93 or KHFI as in either full playlist, not just call letters, sweepers and drops, please contact me. I'm specifically looking for some of the mixshows done by Martin Tha Hitman.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I've been trying to find some recordings of B93 from that era. Unfortunately I didn't record any myself. If anyone has any tape recordings of either B93 or KHFI as in either full playlist, not just call letters, sweepers and drops, please contact me. I'm specifically looking for some of the mixshows done by Martin Tha Hitman.
I used to have quite a few recordings of both stations during the late 80's early 90's when you could hear stuff that didn't always get airplay on Top 40 radio elsewhere (except perhaps Houston); unfortunately, they got lost during a couple moves. Some titles I specifically remember:

The Shamen - Move Any Mountain
Erasure - Chorus, Stop, Star, Victim of Love, etc.
Passing Strangers - Dream Weaver
Anything Box - Living in Oblivion, World Without Love
Red Flag - Count to Three
Eon - Spice
T42 - Don't Let My Love, Desire
Cause & Effect - What Do You See
Peter Schilling - The Different Story
Camouflage - Love is a Shield
Depeche Mode - too many songs
Yaz - State Farm (Madhouse Mix)
Lil Louis - French Kiss
Westbam - Alarm Clock
Seven Red Seven - Thinking of You
Ministry - Everyday is Halloween
Stephen Duffy - Kiss Me
Candy Flip - Strawberry Fields Forever
Lightning Seeds - Pure
The Cure - High, Let's Go to Bed, Close to Me, etc.
TKA - Louder Thank Love
Book of Love - Sunny Day
LA Style - James Brown is Dead
The Other Two - Tasty Fish
Jam on the Mutha - Hotel California

In any case, here are some airchecks I found online:

http://chipsshots.com/radio-tbt-51-s...-1989-edition/

http://chipsshots.com/radio-tbt-koai-ksrr-fm-kbts/

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 6:03 PM
Austinite

Quote:
I have quite a few recordings of full songs on both stations from the 80s thru early/mid 90s. Mostly mainstream hits from that era along with accompanying DJ intros and sweepers/jingles, etc. Perhaps a few clips of mix shows but not much unfortunately. I have some friends in the radio industry that may have such recordings. I'd be happy to scrounge up what I have and provide copies.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 6:17 PM
Austinite

Quote:
I used to have quite a few recordings of both stations during the late 80's early 90's when you could hear stuff that didn't always get airplay on Top 40 radio elsewhere (except perhaps Houston); unfortunately, they got lost during a couple moves. Some titles I specifically remember:

The Shamen - Move Any Mountain
Erasure - Chorus, Stop, Star, Victim of Love, etc.
Passing Strangers - Dream Weaver
Anything Box - Living in Oblivion, World Without Love
Red Flag - Count to Three
Eon - Spice
T42 - Don't Let My Love, Desire
Cause & Effect - What Do You See
Peter Schilling - The Different Story
Camouflage - Love is a Shield
Depeche Mode - too many songs
Yaz - State Farm (Madhouse Mix)
Lil Louis - French Kiss
Westbam - Alarm Clock
Seven Red Seven - Thinking of You
Ministry - Everyday is Halloween
Stephen Duffy - Kiss Me
Candy Flip - Strawberry Fields Forever
Lightning Seeds - Pure
The Cure - High, Let's Go to Bed, Close to Me, etc.
TKA - Louder Thank Love
Book of Love - Sunny Day
LA Style - James Brown is Dead
The Other Two - Tasty Fish
Jam on the Mutha - Hotel California

In any case, here are some airchecks I found online:

http://chipsshots.com/radio-tbt-51-s...-1989-edition/

http://chipsshots.com/radio-tbt-koai-ksrr-fm-kbts/

Video Link

VERY cool! Many of those songs were indeed played on KHFI in the early 96.7 days...Anything Box, the Shamen, Cause & Effect, Peter Schilling and others. This was prior to and during the KNNC/K-NAC years. Pretty much all those songs were played on the short-lived Energy 96.5 in Houston (now Mix 96.5). If I recall it was kind of a dance/alternative hybrid (pre Alt-rock).

I also kept track of regional Texas radio stations growing up, so that link was a blast from the past! Still follow radio/formats to this day. Lots of ownership changes over the years.

This recording was actually mine

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs View Post
VERY cool! Many of those songs were indeed played on KHFI in the early 96.7 days...Anything Box, the Shamen, Cause & Effect, Peter Schilling and others. This was prior to and during the KNNC/K-NAC years. Pretty much all those songs were played on the short-lived Energy 96.5 in Houston (now Mix 96.5). If I recall it was kind of a dance/alternative hybrid (pre Alt-rock).

I also kept track of regional Texas radio stations growing up, so that link was a blast from the past! Still follow radio/formats to this day. Lots of ownership changes over the years.

Video Link
I've listened to your recording many times lol. Thanks for uploading it. I would be interested in hearing some of your other recordings including some of the mix shows.

Also, here are some airchecks from Energy 96.5 Houston (I loved that station). There are also MANY recordings from 93Q and KRBE when they all did mix shows (6400, among others):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft8Ye5gzUA0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAmyD4VvE1s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apZrmGUbG8M

Last edited by azliam; Feb 5, 2020 at 7:12 PM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 8:54 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
I have quite a few recordings of full songs on both stations from the 80s thru early/mid 90s. Mostly mainstream hits from that era along with accompanying DJ intros and sweepers/jingles, etc. Perhaps a few clips of mix shows but not much unfortunately. I have some friends in the radio industry that may have such recordings. I'd be happy to scrounge up what I have and provide copies.
Thanks so much, I would love if you could help. I am friend's with Martin's cousin, Martin passed away many years ago. Would be cool uploading some old clips especially of B93 and KHFI when they competed against eachother on YouTube since we don't seem to have any historical clips aside from air checks of B93 and KHFI. A-La similar, though unlikely as thorough as Classic B96 on YouTube with tons of on air recordings as well as mix shows from Chicago's famed B96 from the 80s and 90s. Actually would be cool to have some early Beat 104.3 recordings as well especially The Mixmaster shows they started out with on Friday and Saturday nights. I'll send a DM later this week about it. In the meantime for those interested check our Classic B96 on YouTube.

Last edited by Jdawgboy; Feb 5, 2020 at 9:19 PM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Thanks so much, I would love if you could help. I am friend's with Martin's cousin, Martin passed away many years ago. Would be cool uploading some old clips especially of B93 and KHFI when they competed against eachother on YouTube since we don't seem to have any historical clips aside from air checks of B93 and KHFI. A-La similar, though unlikely as thorough as Classic B96 on YouTube with tons of on air recordings as well as mix shows from Chicago's famed B96 from the 80s and 90s. Actually would be cool to have some early Beat 104.3 recordings as well especially The Mixmaster shows they started out with on Friday and Saturday nights. I'll send a DM later this week about it. In the meantime for those interested check our Classic B96 on YouTube.
Small world - As a youth, I grew up in the Chicagoland area and still have family there, and grew up listening to WLS (also as Z95) and B96.

ok sorry to hijack thread with radio stuff

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 9:23 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Small world - As a youth, I grew up in the Chicagoland area and still have family there, and grew up listening to WLS (also as Z95) and B96.

ok sorry to hijack thread with radio stuff
Well in a way this kinda fits on topic. It is nostalgic, it was apart of who we were as a city in those days. Radio is dead today and what I mean by that is there are few Independent local stations anywhere in the United States. It's all corporate cookie cutter crap, no matter where you go in what city, the stations sound similar. Austin for a time had some pretty bad ass stations and in those days radio stations could be identified by city and vice versa they were much more unique to their market. It would be nice to preserve that for people today to listen to or we will lose it forever. Think of it as an audio postcard or picture. We just don't have anything significant from that era that can be accessed at the moment. I would like for that to change.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 2:21 PM

Quote:

Video Link
KHFI was also good at playing remixes of songs. One recording that I made from KHFI back in '90 when they switched to 96.7 had radio edits of Depeche Mode's Hands & Feet Mix of "Enjoy the Silence" as well as the Beat Box mix of "Policy of Truth" that I have never been able to find anywhere since then. I listened to that shit endlessly during Desert Storm.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 12:48 AM
Meh

1981 - That's Lavaca Plaza under construction on the left.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&theater&ifg=1

SRV statue dedication in 1994. Notice the work starting on the Chase Bank Tower's facade redo.

300 West Sixth construction from around 2000.

February of '83.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 5:22 PM
Meh

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
WOW ! you can really see the old fish hatchery on this shot! I only recently learned about them. ( Just east of 35, north of the river! )

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 10:36 PM

I can see my parent’s house on Elmhurst Drive at far left, lower center - the last street that curves left to the south. The first tower of the Holiday Inn must’ve been brand new at the time this photo was taken - guessing 1965-1966? And Wilbur Clark’s new Crest Hotel is finished at Congress & First (C. chavez). Plus the “old” Gondolier Hotel is at Riverside & I-35.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 12:39 AM
Meh

The Castilian is there. It was built in 1969. That's the latest high rise I can see. At the time that photo was taken, the Capitol was the tallest in Austin, and we only had 4 buildings over 200 feet.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 2:21 AM
Meh

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 4:18 PM

When did they stop doing Christmas lights across congress? be cool to see that again. They still do them over sixth I think at least.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin