HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 8:35 PM

Cool AUSTIN | 614 S. 1st St | 120 FT | FLOORS | Proposed

550-Apartment Tower Proposed for Boudin Creek Neighborhood

Quote:
The city is in the early stages of reviewing plans for a 120-foot-tall, 573,170-square foot building containing 550 apartment units that, if approved, would be built near East Boudin Creek.

The proposal calls for the new residential development to replace the existing Timbercreek Apartments, a 48-year-old development, on an 8.1-acre tract at 614 S. 1st St.

The developer is seeking to apply planned unit development zoning to the property’s current zoning for medium-density multifamily. This would allow the building to exceed the 40-foot height limit presently on that tract. Parking will be developed underground.

According to a city staff report, the project will meet or exceed open space standards by providing a minimum of 100,000 square feet of open space at grade. More than 50,000 square feet of impervious cover will be removed.

Preliminary plans describe a number of amenities and infrastructure improvements:

Public creek access for additional bicyclists and pedestrians
A public on-site trail
Public art along South First Street
New wetland features in the floodplain
Restoration of animal habitat by using wood material and in-channel ripple pools
Rainwater harvesting to help reduce stormwater runoff
Relocation of the existing apartment dog park out of the floodplain
New landscaping to offset tree removal

Aside from the proposed height, the developer is seeking a separate variance in order to build the residential high-rise within 60 feet of an existing single-family neighborhood.

The new residential tower would be located immediately south of Auditorium Shores, Long Center for the Performing Arts and Palmer Events Center. It would be surrounded by residential developments and near small office buildings in the increasingly popular South Central Waterfront district.

Additionally, the project would include a new traffic light or pedestrian crossing along South 1st Street.

Big Red Dog is the project engineer. Michael Hsu Office of Architecture is the project architect. Information on estimated project cost, construction schedule or delivery method is not yet available.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 9:19 PM

This should be interesting. Not the building, but the battle over the building.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
The NIMBYs are already circling their wagons.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 10:42 PM

Quote:
I disagree. Michael Hsu usually does pretty interesting designs.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futures View Post
Glad the design is likely to be high quality. I was really referring to the NIMBY outrage that is developing already in opposition to this project.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 3:36 AM
Love Austin

Such a perfect case for a PUD. It's over six acres, redeveloping a ~50 year old apartment complex with zero water quality, zero water detention, tons of impervious cover and lots of structures in the floodplain. Not to mention lots of new housing on a high frequency bus line (the 10) and walking distance to downtown. Huge environmental superiority potential here.

I'm sure we can expect pushback from folks regarding traffic, "too much traffic, force these downtown workers to live in Buda!" Good news is at least seven of our council members are wise to such nonsense. There is some concern about the new push to save old buildings that are more affordable as they start to fall down...

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 6:16 AM

Quote:
Glad the design is likely to be high quality. I was really referring to the NIMBY outrage that is developing already in opposition to this project.
Meh, I believe Hsu's office designed Lamar Union and while it looks nice, it definitely isn't "high quality" construction, pretty typical 4/1 wood/concrete podium.

However since this is likely to be a ~10 story building, it will be all concrete structure so quality may be better than your typical 4-5/1.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futures View Post
I don't think NIMBYs care who designs the buildings they like to hate.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
Meh, I believe Hsu's office designed Lamar Union and while it looks nice, it definitely isn't "high quality" construction, pretty typical 4/1 wood/concrete podium.

However since this is likely to be a ~10 story building, it will be all concrete structure so quality may be better than your typical 4-5/1.
Hey Sig, thanks for this post. Quick question, what is "4/1 wood/concrete" or a 4-5/1? A quick search turned up nada for me. Thanks.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
Hey Sig, thanks for this post. Quick question, what is "4/1 wood/concrete" or a 4-5/1? A quick search turned up nada for me. Thanks.
This refers to 4-5 wood frame (stick) buildings built on a concrete parking plinth (or more apartments). Relative cost is inexpensive and typically lower quality than a all concrete mid-rise.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...-look-the-same

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eguidry View Post
This refers to 4-5 wood frame (stick) buildings built on a concrete parking plinth (or more apartments). Relative cost is inexpensive and typically lower quality than a all concrete mid-rise.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...-look-the-same
Interesting read, thanks.

I'm still not clear what the 4-5/1 refer to.... Is the the number of floors, spacing of the wood, size of the wood? I don't get it.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
Interesting read, thanks.

I'm still not clear what the 4-5/1 refer to.... Is the the number of floors, spacing of the wood, size of the wood? I don't get it.
I thought so too, you were right though, it's referring to 4-5 wood framed floors on top of 1(or two) concrete floors.

This picture explains it well
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-DZ2BLyticQ...0/IMG_9409.JPG

and this is the article it's from
http://archplanbaltimore.blogspot.co...erican_27.html

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 6:58 PM

Quote:
I thought so too, you were right though, it's referring to 4-5 wood framed floors on top of 1(or two) concrete floors.

Ahh....cool. Thanks again.

I noticed these going up all over the place in WC when I worked there in the mid aughts....I remember one building "Piazza Navona" that was built all concrete...each floor. The builder touted it as better. I've sold a couple PN condos to clients, and what I noticed was that the sound reverberated even worse than the wooden framed buildings...it was noticeably louder. You could hear the water in the ceiling when someone flushed a toilet on a unit above you.

As I recall, I remember that same effect at the Milago I owned for a few years. I never lived there, so I didn't really notice it. But if I had lived there, that sound would have really bugged me.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 8:55 PM

Quote:

Yep....and I think building code only allows up to 6 floors including concrete podium before you have to start doing steel and concrete for your structure.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 10:38 PM

I think it's definitely an interesting project to watch - especially with the other parcels up for development right in the area.

I went to quite a few Bouldin neighborhood meetings when PSW was first proposing their projects lining S 1st. And although there was endless complaints and opinions, it didn't really affect their projects too much. Hopefully that's the case here.

Last edited by futures; Jan 23, 2020 at 1:18 AM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2023, 8:22 AM

Old Posted Mar 14, 2023, 12:49 PM

Given our housing shortage this move above should be seen as criminal to the greater community.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin