HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_ View Post
PlanPhilly mentioned this 2400 Market project and a, "...promenade from Market St to Chestnut St," over a year ago with this old rendering included:

http://planphilly.com/articles/2014/...become-reality
This looks awesome but honestly, where would the promenade physically go?

https://goo.gl/maps/bhpBCbsheuR2
https://goo.gl/maps/6eRNykPAkHo

I've having trouble reconciling the beautiful rendering with what actually exists there now. In front of the blue building adjacent to Market St, the building is literally right up against the train tracks. The grey building closer to Chestnut St does have some space, but it's not really long and still pretty narrow. Along Chestnut St, there is a really wide "patio" in front of the grey building that could definitely hold sidewalk seating or a beer garden. The view from there however, would be 2400 Chestnut and its parking lot.

Even without anything special built on the river side, this project offers a great opportunity to activate this end of Market and Chestnut Street. As far as the actual building is concerned, I'm in wait-and-see mode. I don't care for the width but the architect smartly breaks up the building so it's not just a single squat wide slab (like 2400 Chestnut).

Where's the design for Mandeville Place???

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pay homage View Post
Don't hold your breath waiting for PMC Property Group aka Philadelphia Management Company aka the worst Philly landlord ever to use "quality materials" in any of their buildings.

I lived in one of their properties and vowed never to set foot in anything they own or build ever again.

2040 Market is already falling apart inside - go on yelp and see pictures tenants have posted.
1900 Arch looks terrible and I'm sure will be falling apart soon
One Water is meh...

If it were up to me PMC would be mandated to use any money they have to renovate/upgrade their existing derelict buildings before building anything new.

If anyone from PMC is lurking just know that your designs and materials suck and need to step your game up...
That is too bad. Sorry you had to go through that bad experience.
Yes, 2040 Market looks kinda meh. That was an "add-on" too. Maybe they saved a few million bucks not to excavate, and start from scratch. At least they could have made the interior more desirable. You are the first one that I have heard any feedback on their properties, but I'm not surprised or shocked hearing that.
With 2400 Market being an add-on as well, you would think if they saved that additional money on excavating, that they could at least upgrade the materials a bit. On the exterior AND the interior.
New, is not necessarily nice.
What concerns me, and it should concern others, is that they own the property where "River Walk" was originally proposed. I do hope that PMC doesn't wreck our western portion of Center City altogether.
Doesn't the planning commission keep a close eye on the results of the finished product, instead of the nice renderings?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 9:32 PM

The fine craftsmanship of PMC properties - a SMALL snippet of a much longer Yelp blurb on 2040 Market:

Quote:
From day 1 (our move-in date), we found problems everywhere. The kitchen cabinets were on the verge of falling off, the washer literally spun 180 degrees to the point where we needed two people to physically turn the washer back to the front (it also shook the floor so much that our wine glasses broke the first 2 days...all the way in the kitchen), a busted corner in the bathroom wall, and the carpet was unfinished (with nails sticking out and poking our feet). We brought up all of these concerns from DAY 1 and took pictures as well as videos of the mess we moved into. Why it wasn't "move in ready" when there was a gap of over a month between us and the previous tenant, I have no idea. We haven't been able to wash our clothes (instead going to a laundromat to wash our hospital scrubs), and my toe has bled several times because of the nails sticking out of the floor b/c the carpet was unfinished.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 8:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
The fine craftsmanship of PMC properties - a SMALL snippet of a much longer Yelp blurb on 2040 Market:
As others have said, this is not surprising but man—what a shame! If the market continues to be tight though, they may not have an incentive to improve.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_ View Post
PlanPhilly mentioned this 2400 Market project and a, "...promenade from Market St to Chestnut St," over a year ago with this old rendering included:

http://planphilly.com/articles/2014/...become-reality
This rendering is from 10+ years ago when CCD commissioned a planning/design firm to propose ways to improve Center City's connectivity to the Schuylkill.

There IS supposed to be a connection between Chestnut and Market, but it won't look like this.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 3:05 PM

I tried.

Quote:
[boxbot]:

Thank you for your interest in the project.
As soon as we are done with all of the renderings, which will be in the month or so, I will be happy to share them.

Stephen

Stephen Varenhorst, AIA
President

Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbot View Post
I tried.
Perhaps if you hadn't referred to yourself as [boxbot], he would have been more forthcoming.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 7:22 PM
Always Lookin' Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
Perhaps if you hadn't referred to yourself as [boxbot], he would have been more forthcoming.
Yes, Mr. Boxbot would be more appropriate.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 12:00 AM

My class had a guest lecturer today who works at commercial real estate firm. He was talking about a few projects underway in Center City, and he said that he expects this one to break ground in 2016. I thought that was an interesting tidbit. I asked if he had updated renderings but he only showed the most recent version that's on this thread.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
I nearly choked on my spaghetti meatball laughing at this.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
I nearly choked on my spaghetti meatball laughing at this.
I just sent Varenhorst a follow up email as [boxbot], Esquire. Let's see if it yields results.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 4:37 AM

Quote:
I just sent Varenhorst a follow up email as [boxbot], Esquire. Let's see if it yields results.
You'd have better luck if you'd sent it as [boxbot][,] [Esquire].

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Send FOIA request and demand info!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 12:45 PM

I definitely think we will hear something new regarding this very soon.

Read last week that Bistro St. Tropez is moving out of the building -- so reading the tea leaves here, one can figure the more definitive reconfigured plans for 2400 Market will arrive soon.

"And now, as his lease comes up and the building is reconfigured under new owners, Bistro St. Tropez will end its 29-year run after service on Saturday, Feb. 27" -- at this building.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/t...Rz9hwXU6jz2.99

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Send FOIA request and demand info!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 4:38 PM

[boxbot]:

Thanks for staying in touch.

We are about 1 month away from releasing all of the images of the project. At that time I would be happy to share the project with you.

Please feel free to check back with me.

Stephen

Stephen Varenhorst, AIA
President

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 5:43 PM

Quote:
[boxbot]:

Thanks for staying in touch.

We are about 1 month away from releasing all of the images of the project. At that time I would be happy to share the project with you.

Please feel free to check back with me.

Stephen

Stephen Varenhorst, AIA
President
Nice!

And he's obviously become more comfortable corresponding with someone who calls himself "[boxbot]."

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 6:17 PM

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 6:21 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Kid View Post
What a boring design...looks like a correctional institution or a government-like brutalist building.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 6:29 PM

The only reason I'm ok with the massing of this project is the location. The long monolithic sides are against the river and a sunken stretch of 24th while the sides along Market and Chestnut are appropriately short.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive