HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copes View Post
Reading through the minutes, I feel bad for the person looking to start an crafts class 6 times a month. The neighbours really don't support the small business.
It only goes to show that some people are so regressive in their thinking and will reject anything proposed.... it's sad.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 3:25 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

"when I build my home the people in those hotel rooms. will be looking directly into my home. I do not feel anybody would feel that is an acceptable situation."

You don't live in Gooseberry Cove.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
and here's an objection tot he hotel on Kenmount lol ... YES KEnmount road NIMBYs exist!!! :O

http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...1%202013_0.pdf
I can't believe that anyone on council would spend more than 10 seconds considering this objection. The land in question slopes up from Kenmount Rd and there's a rear buffer for the TG onramp on both sides of the TG onramp, that alone means at least 100 metres from the edge of any property, so unless he's planning to build a really tall house it won't even be visible to the hotel. I have neighbours on the back of my property just 5 metres away and they are higher elevation, so his argument that people can see his property is so foolish that it can be rejected out-of-hand.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
"when I build my home the people in those hotel rooms. will be looking directly into my home. I do not feel anybody would feel that is an acceptable situation."

You don't live in Gooseberry Cove.
Go to Pipers and buy a set of curtains.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 10:54 PM

I wonder if that person paid for their wonderful view of sprawling parking lots, car dealerships, and highway on-ramps. Living the dream right there

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 12:56 AM
Millennial Ascendancy

I'm not sure if everyone realizes how large this hotel on Kenmount is supposed to be. I certainly didn't, but apparently there are going to be 200 rooms. That seems very large to me.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 1:09 AM

The 5 story new hotel on kenmount is 140 rooms and this new hotel is only six stories. I guess it will be pretty long across to have 200 rooms. I would much rather a 15 story 200 room hotel go downtown. I think increasing hotel space downtown is much more important than building more Hotels on kenmount road. Oh well, it would be foolish to oppose a six story building on kenmount road and I guess it will be conviently located along the highway. Solid development, but I would prefer it downtown.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 1:28 AM

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 1:30 AM

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 10:39 AM

Looks like the hotel is one step closer!
Looks like might be soon time for a new thread! Anyone see any renders yet??

The hotel marketplace is going to become more competitive as St. John's City Council approved two site-specific amendments to allow for a new hotel on Kenmount Road. VOCM's Ariana Kelland was at council last night and has the details.

227, 229 and 245 Kenmount Road, right next to Tim Hortons by the Team Gushue Highway, will be home to a 6-storey hotel if the developer can persuade council to rezone some land. Northwood Properties is proposing to build a Sandman Signature Hotel that would contain 200 rooms, two restaurants, meeting and banquet rooms and one future free-standing restaurant with 360 parking spaces.

Last night, council unanimously approved two site-specific amendments that would allow the development. Currently, the city limits building heights on Kenmount Road to 15 metres; the proposed hotel would be 24 metres.

Sandman Signature Hotels has over 40 locations across the country, but if approved, it would be the first in this province.

The next step is a public hearing.

Councillor Sandy Hickman, like his fellow councillors, welcomes the proposed hotel to the area, and hopes to use the opportunity to improve entrances and exits in that area of Kenmount Road.

Hickman says he would like to see the proposed hotel, Tim Hortons and Metro Storage share the same entrance and exits in order to improved traffic on Kenmount Road.

http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...30882&latest=1

Last edited by J.A.I.L.; Feb 12, 2013 at 11:36 AM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 2:46 PM

Wow the Kenmount Hotel is larger than the 12 story hilton

New hotel clears hurdle for Kenmount Road

Quote:
St. John's city council has given its approval in principle for a six-storey hotel that will be built off Kenmount Road and surrounded by an off ramp of the Team Gushue Highway.

A new hotel is poised to be built near the Team Gushue Highway on Kenmount Road. (Google Maps)
The proposal for the Sandman Signature Hotel comes in at 10 metres higher than council's ordinary regulations, although councillors voted to make an exception for the plan.

The plan would see the hotel be built near an existing Tim Hortons franchise.

It would include 200 rooms, two restaurants, a banquet room and parking for 360 vehicles. The developers also plan to later build a separate, free-standing restaurant on the premises.

"This is an excellent project," said Coun. Sandy Hickman, who added that his only concern is that the hotel would effectively be circled by the Team Gushue ramp.

The Newfoundland and Labrador government will need to sign off on the proposal.

If approved, it will become the largest hotel in that area of St. John's, and the fourth largest in the city, behind the Sheraton, Delta and Holiday Inn.

Construction could begin as early as this spring.

The Vancouver-based Sandman Hotel Group owns properties across the country, although this would be the first hotel in its network to be built in Atlantic Canada.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...johns-212.html

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
Can you please elaborate on your first point?

I think it depends on the purpose of the new road. If it will be solely as a collector road for commercial and business traffic then it could work. If it's just another road whereby all traffic can use - then yes, it'll probably be another congested roadway.

I'm not sure but this post will probably need to be moved to the transportation thread. I'll let the mods decide that.
by rights the discussion of the road networks should be in the transport thread

Also the discussion for the Kenmount hotel really should be in the Metro west end thread.

This thread is about Downtown, St. John's Centre as well as initial announcements (that's how I take it .. if not then why do we even have the other divisions?)

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 3:03 PM

with all these hotel rooms in one area on Kenmount road, Metro bus should provide a shuttle bus from that area to DT in the summers!

200 rooms plus 140 plus the Ramada plus the Capital Hotel (anyone know how many rooms in those hotels?

ideally the city would also make that area more walk able with larger sidewalks and pedestrian friendly things such as street lamps as well as a skywalk connecting both sides preferably where Starbucks is

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 3:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
with all these hotel rooms in one area on Kenmount road, Metro bus should provide a shuttle bus from that area to DT in the summers!

200 rooms plus 140 plus the Ramada plus the Capital Hotel (anyone know how many rooms in those hotels?

ideally the city would also make that area more walk able with larger sidewalks and pedestrian friendly things such as street lamps as well as a skywalk connecting both sides preferably where Starbucks is
Capital has 80 rooms and 8 suites making a total of 88 for that hotel

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher_chafe View Post
We can't forget that closing of the Battery removed 100 or so rooms from the marketplace. With the Convention Centre expansion, we should be able to attract larger conventions and thus need for more rooms.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher_chafe View Post
So that's 428 plus whatever is in the Ramada (which isn't a small hotel) all in one area on Kenmount road, there's a few restaurants/ areas of interest like chess's yuk yuks, starbucks, tim hortons etc. all in that area and if you add the restaurants that will be IN these hotels and the free standing one.. quite the little area.. I think they will need to upgrade the pedestrian connectivity of at least this area of Kenmount road.. not everyone who travels rents a car. Also shuttle buses to DT in the tourism season (if they implement my bus system design there wouldn't be a need for a shuttle bus but until then..)

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 12:27 PM

I'm looking forward to checking this place out!

CBS Tourism Attraction to Open
Quote:
This tourism season will be a huge one for the Conception Bay South area with the opening of a multi-million dollar signature tourism attraction. Here's VOCM's Terry Hart.

The new 8-million dollar Manuels River Hibernia Interpretation Centre will be open for this summer's tourism season, and operations manager Keith Moore says there is tremendous interest in the facility. The 10-thousand square foot facility, located on the banks of the Manuels River, is designed to capture the unique geology of the area and the significance of trilobite fossils that date back more than 500-million years. Moore says the centre will serve as a platform to educate students and visitors, and will help cement Newfoundland and Labrador's reputation as a destination for those seeking unique geological experiences.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&id=30991

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 12:31 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I'm excited to see it as well. It's a nice enough building but the setting out there is just gorgeous. I've only ever walked Manuels River once but it was, by far, one of my most favourite inland walks in the province.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 12:14 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

That design pictured looks quite impressive, does it look like that in reality?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 9:41 PM

Bright Outlook for Mount Pearl

Quote:
ount Pearl Mayor Randy Simms gave members of the Chamber of Commerce an overview of 2012 and a look ahead into the coming months when he spoke today at the Mount Pearl Hotel. Simms, who will seek re-election this year, says the business community continues to expand within city boundaries, with 91 new small businesses started in 2012 which created 431 new jobs. Simms says 2013 looks bright for the city, despite a ballooning provincial deficit.

In 2013, Simms says $4.9-million will be invested in roads, $18-million in parks and recreation and $1-million will go to fleet services.

But Simms says you can't ignore the economic challenges that will face all municipalities.

He says municipalities only get eight cents out of every tax dollar. Simms says politicians who provide basic everyday services like plowed roadways and garbage collection is the most important piece of government day-to-day, and it is also the piece of government which gets paid the least.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...31148&latest=1

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's