HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 9:34 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
Not even close. The old Frost building is 300'. The new one will be 386', so the crane will likely be close to 400' for completion. The crane will ratchet up a few more times before all is said and done.

I'm surprised we haven't seen glass installed yet. Hopefully soon.
Actually, the old (technically, the current) Frost Bank Tower isn't 300 feet. That was an old height that was posted to an old edition of the World Almanac. I always had my doubts about that height. You can measure the building with Google Earth, which I've come to trust since their numbers match what I've seen from architects and developers with a lot of other projects. The measured height for the 1973 Frost Bank Tower is 269 feet to the mechanical penthouse and main roof parapet. So, the new Frost Bank Tower will be more than 100 feet taller than the current one. It's going to appear a good bit taller than the old building. The crane right now is probably around 320 feet or so. The FAA permit they received is for a 486 foot tower crane.

That will likely make the crane the tallest structure in downtown, not counting the Tower of the Americas and the tv station towers.

That is unusually high for a crane to be over the top of the building it's working on. Typically they aren't much more than 30 to 40 feet above them unless they're working in a confined space where there's a lot of neighboring buildings closeby.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...10590946&row=4
Quote:
Structure Type: Crane
Structure Name: Tower crane

Structure Height:

Description of Proposal: 486' tower crane to be used to construct new 386' Frost Bank Tower building
I do trust the Google Earth numbers. I just measured the Grand Hyatt for example and came up with 425 feet. I remember the height that was shown on the building elevations was 424 feet. I'm guessing it's a foot taller because I'm measuring from the lowest elevation around the building rather than an average elevation that they may have used.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio