HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

View Poll Results: What do you think?
Love it 39 90.70%
Hate it 1 2.33%
Dislike 3 6.98%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 10:03 PM

Reposted from the main construction thread:

Embassy Bosa just sent out an email to all registrants for the Royal confirming (what we've known for a while...) that Urban Fare is indeed the grocery tenant. Here's the blurb from that email:

" AN ENTIRELY NEW GROCERY SHOPPING
EXPERIENCE COMES TO THE ROYAL

Connected to The Royal's 34-storey residential tower is over 90,000 sf of retail and office space developed by First Capital Realty, and it is our pleasure to share with you that the anchor tenant will be Urban Fare, a premium grocery shopping destination and true food lover's paradise.

Parent-company Overwaitea Food Group is Canada's largest western-based food store chain and they have been proudly feeding families since 1915. Today they operate over 140 stores across 6 store brands including Save-On-Foods which has 28 locations in Alberta.

Embassy BOSA is proud to have the first Urban Fare location in Alberta, just downstairs from The Royal. Offering a unique west coast upscale shopping experience with their elegantly designed departments and a selection of fresh, local, organic and imported gourmet food, Urban Fare is poised to become a neighbourhood favourite. Overwaitea caters their stores to match the communities they serve, and this location will join an elite group of only 5 Urban Fare locations in BC.

Local amenities and conveniences like this have Calgarians talking and keeping our sales staff busy! Plus for those that live in the neighbourhood, there will be ample underground parking, so you can go from your car to the store without ever going outside!

If you haven't already, we encourage you to check out our brand new Presentation Centre, complete with a full 2 bedroom show home, so that you can experience The Royal life for yourself. We're located at 936 16th Ave SW and are open daily from 12-5pm (except Fridays)."

[Source: The Royal welcomes Urban Fare, Embassy Bosa registrant email]

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 1:43 AM

voted love. i like the lighting at the top. i hope that stays.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2015, 7:30 PM
BANNED

Lots of work going on here all weekend. Great project for the 17th ave area, now PBA needs to get their 17th ave 1st sw mixed-use project going!

Old Posted Jun 22, 2015, 7:41 PM
Editor

I'm really happy to see work advancing at this site. One of my favourite projects in the city.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2015, 8:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
I'm really happy to see work advancing at this site. One of my favourite projects in the city.
Is Urban Fare leasing the main floor? Hoping for another anchor tenant on the second floor, similar to nearby BestBuy and GoodLife Fitness. Some great amenities coming to the area.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2015, 10:56 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
Is Urban Fare leasing the main floor? Hoping for another anchor tenant on the second floor, similar to nearby BestBuy and GoodLife Fitness. Some great amenities coming to the area.
A grocery on the second floor would be a first for Calgary and really any city I've ever encountered- I'd think the logistics of stocking an upper-floor grocery store (not just a convenience store a la the one on the 95th floor of the Hancock in Chicago) would be incredibly challenging.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 2:45 AM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
A grocery on the second floor would be a first for Calgary and really any city I've ever encountered- I'd think the logistics of stocking an upper-floor grocery store (not just a convenience store a la the one on the 95th floor of the Hancock in Chicago) would be incredibly challenging.
I'm curious why you think this, seems there would be little difference to moving TV's or clothes to a second floor.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 2:47 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
I'm curious why you think this, seems there would be little difference to moving TV's or clothes to a second floor.
Well I just remember working at a grocery store in high school that deliveries were constant, nonstop. Clothes don't come in constantly and neither to TVs.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 2:58 AM
Khan

Quote:
I know there are some 2nd floor Loblaws in Toronto. Also, I knew of several 2nd floor Carrefours in Beijing when I lived there.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 3:05 AM
YIMBY

Quote:
Well I just remember working at a grocery store in high school that deliveries were constant, nonstop. Clothes don't come in constantly and neither to TVs.
I see, that makes sense.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 5:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesonov View Post
I know there are some 2nd floor Loblaws in Toronto. Also, I knew of several 2nd floor Carrefours in Beijing when I lived there.
The 2nd floor Loblaws/Superstores I know of in Toronto have a grade change at the back so the loading docks are level.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 5:49 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesonov View Post
I think you see that kind of thing in Asia a fair bit. I saw at least 3 or 4 grocery stores in Hong Kong that were on the 2 floor or even higher up. The first grocery store I went to in HK was on the 4th floor of a mall. Of course the vertical lifestyle is very prevalent there, so not a big surprise.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2015, 5:35 PM
BANNED

Big portion of the site is down to P1.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 6:10 PM

Excavation Wrapping Up at Calgary's The Royal

Quote:
Photos posted to our Forum show the excavation pit for the project has nearly bottomed-out. The crane will soon be installed so the building can begin its climb above the street.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tateyb View Post
That's a large site. I wonder how many cranes? 2?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tateyb View Post
Sure taking there sweet time with this excavation.

Still no crane or even sign of crane base.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 3:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolv View Post
Sure taking there sweet time with this excavation.

Still no crane or even sign of crane base.
Curious what happens with this. They may need to change the name to "A Royal Flush"

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
Curious what happens with this. They may need to change the name to "A Royal Flush"
And why would they need to do that?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 9:16 PM

Drove by it today and everything looked really busy. Looks like some difficult material to excavate. Portions of the pit look too be around 4 levels down. Big site to finish.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 4:50 PM

Crane Erected at The Royal in Calgary

Quote:
Our Calgary contingent has been patiently awaiting the arrival of the tower crane for The Royal, a 36-storey residential building approved for the bustling south-of-downtown Beltline neighbourhood. Crews have been excavating the deep pit for months, some concrete footings have been placed, and last week finally marked the assembly of a yellow-coloured crane.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates