HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

View Poll Results: What's your take?
Love it 77 77.78%
Like it 17 17.17%
Don't really like it 4 4.04%
Loathe it 1 1.01%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 3:32 PM

The smoke stack, IIRC, is being incorporated somehow in the new design

Not sure about the other two though

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 4:13 PM

1886 Cafe gets moved closer to the river
http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Parks/Doc...ummer-plan.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.E.Pennypacker View Post
The smoke stack, IIRC, is being incorporated somehow in the new design

Not sure about the other two though

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 4:23 PM

Looking at those plans, it makes me a bit nervous. They need to recognize that this is a major pedestrian and cyclist corridor. Putting "undulating wood topography" and "in grade water feature" together leaving a narrow corridor seams like a bad idea. Are they getting rid of the Jaipur bridge and replacing it with 2 bridges, or adding an additional one? How about the interaction with pathways on Princes Island? Its crowded enough as it is and the east bridge doesn't look like it would be cyclist friendly coming off of it. Maybe I'm just having trouble with the scale.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 4:24 PM
Calgary Martindale

Has this moved from concept to proposal? How close is this in built form to reality?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 4:33 PM
Here and There

No, the original design was completed by Landplan Associates before they were purchased by IBI. This design dates back to 2007 and before. We researched famous squares around the world to compare sizes and scale. This Eau Claire Plaza is roughly the same size as "Piazza San Marco" in Venice, Italy. Marc boutin assisted in developing the concept further but mostly worked on the free-form canopy above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Damn I'm so freaking excited for this project! Seriously hoping nothing gets lost from this proposal. Is Marc Boutin the designer of the square? He did awesome work on the memorial park.

Last edited by kw5150; Jan 14, 2014 at 7:42 PM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 4:44 PM
BANNED

Is the plaza re-development part of Phase 1?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 7:28 PM
Traditional Ale User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan101 View Post
1886 Cafe gets moved closer to the river
http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Parks/Doc...ummer-plan.pdf
ahh fantastic, thanks for sharing this. Awesome that these are being preserved. That's gotta be an intricate procedure to relocate an old building like that without turning it into a pile of dust & lumber mid-process. I'd be curious for what the procedure is for moving something like that (and the brick smokestack).

..Im assuming that the Barley Mill will be no more, damn. Some great hazy times had at this fine establishment - would be sweet if they could re-locate it to fit beside the 1886 cafe in its new location.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 8:42 AM

Lots of great information at the link below coming directly from the Eau Claire website redevelopment section. File shows a nice overview of the project including some sun shadow calculations, new street scenes renditions and some info on the relocation of heritage buildings.

I for one am pretty excited for a timeline of construction on this and to see it done. Hopefully Calgary is ready to embrace it.

http://www.eauclairemarket.com/PDF/1...ng_website.pdf

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 3:14 PM

I really hope this goes forward .. And soon

IIRC the developer has until 2017 to start construction or has to forfeit the lands back to the City

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 6:52 PM
ARTchitecture

Hopefully office space absorbtion goes back into the positives, so that the developer decides to start the first tower as soon as possible (the tallest tower).

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 7:26 PM

Noticed today that *finally* the cranes at City Centre have been raised. Hopefully this means the tower portion will start to rise.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Hopefully office space absorbtion goes back into the positives, so that the developer decides to start the first tower as soon as possible (the tallest tower).
I think i read somewhere that office space would be the first constructed, so tower 1, the tallest.

But if you look in the eau claire document they refer to the three areas of development. Not sure if these are named chronologically or just marketing material, but it sure would be nice to see area 1, which includes towers 2 and 3 built and the associated podium including the grocery store. I feel with the 1000 units at Waterfront and the office density there that would be a nice addition to the area.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 7:25 AM
Round Head

No - residential and hotel (SW corner and middle) are the first phase. That will include movie theatre and grocery store occupying the podium.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2014, 1:39 AM

I really like the design - i wonder how long and how much effect it will have on the current pathway system thru there. I run there almost daily and with the flood damage to many of the pathways outside of the core - it will be a challenge without that prince's island bridge for a long period of time. all the peace bridge haters will be sure glad it's there!!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2014, 8:00 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by gand View Post
Lots of great information at the link below coming directly from the Eau Claire website redevelopment section. File shows a nice overview of the project including some sun shadow calculations, new street scenes renditions and some info on the relocation of heritage buildings.

I for one am pretty excited for a timeline of construction on this and to see it done. Hopefully Calgary is ready to embrace it.

Holy shit! The more I see of this project the more epic it becomes! There is literally nothing in this city like this. Wow. My only confusion is about the two northern towers' rooftop patios/ greenspaces. I can't tell from the renderings in the pdf if some of them are inside or outside. Also I can't tell if they are individual yards or public spaces. Hopefully the shrubs are watered and maintained by someone besides the owners.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 6:32 PM
BANNED

Was thinking how the Simmons building will be one of the top places to be next year with the rooftop patio overlooking Downtown/EV and the river. Will there be any similar rooftop restaurant spaces in either this development or the 7 tower proposal?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 6:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gand View Post

Just noticed the pdf. Some renderings I haven't seen before. Looks real good. Thanks for posting.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 6:45 PM

I wonder if they will raise the riverbanks of this portion of Eau Claire as part of this development. I think I would be interested in the condos in this project, but I'd have to see how the flood mitigation plays out.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Hopefully the shrubs are watered and maintained by someone besides the owners.
Well if its like most rendering-to reality scenarios, there's a good chance there won't even be any shrubs to maintain! Every rendering always look like a jungle oasis compared to what you eventually end up with...especially in Calgary.

My rule of thumb whenever I look at a Calgary rendering: Get rid of (at least) half the people, ignore any kind of balcony/roof greenery, add more trucks on the street, ignore details like color/materials, and try to picture all that translucent glass as being reflective.

Not that it still can't end up awesome of course, but when it comes to renderings, the only thing I ever really kinda sort-of trust is the massing and general layout.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_179 View Post
I wonder if they will raise the riverbanks of this portion of Eau Claire as part of this development. I think I would be interested in the condos in this project, but I'd have to see how the flood mitigation plays out.
Other than a few low-lying areas, construction sites, and parking garages, flood damage in Eau Claire was minimal. The riverbanks are already high enough. Prince's Island was another story...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates