HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 2:56 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
TxDot told CAMPO that caps are still possible 2 days ago.it just has to be city funded
Thank. God.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
How have I never seen this before?? THIS IS AMAZING. I almost want to cry at the thought that we may actually get this. One gripe: expand the caps.
This is what it would be like to drive under the caps. My guess is that there is a limit to how long you can have a cap installed before you need serious ventilation. Also, you need to break the cap so people can exit for 6th-Cesar and get people from 6th-Cesar back on the highway.

Video Link

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 4:37 PM

In my opinion, those ramps should be eliminated so that the cap can stretch further. Make people get off/on earlier.

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
In my opinion, those ramps should be eliminated so that the cap can stretch further. Make people get off/on earlier.
Then you are putting wayyyy more cars on the frontage roads with pedestrians instead of grade separating cars from pedetrians.

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Then you are putting wayyyy more cars on the frontage roads with pedestrians instead of grade separating cars from pedetrians.
That's okay. There are lights. The cars would be moving pretty slowly.

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 3:35 PM

Both of Cap Metro's new transit corridor lines are in engineering. The key is that they will have their own lanes but might not be light rail. You can submit your comments on the project connect website.

Click to Enlarge:

Blue Line Info (Click to Enlarge):

Orange Line Info (Click to Enlarge):

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 4:09 PM

Transit wonk heaven!

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 5:39 PM

Interesting... thanks for sharing!

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 1:52 AM

SH 45 SW will open on June 1st, and tolls will be waived until the end of June. First CTRMA project to open since the MoPac express lanes.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 7:56 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

The Westgate Transit Center is nearing completion. It's supposed to open in early June. I drove by yesterday and they're putting in landscaping. Looks like concrete and asphalt are done. I thought I saw one more place they could pour some concrete, but it might get landscaped as well.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 5:49 PM

Working to add two new rail stations by 2021

B

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 25, 2020 at 1:11 AM.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
By Iain Oldman--Community Impact

https://communityimpact.com/austin/d...impactnews_nwa

Ahead of the construction of new headquarters for several of the country’s largest tech employers, the city of Austin and Capital Metro are in discussions with private developers to deliver transit solutions to the North Burnet and Gateway corridor.
Brandywine is paying for half of the broadmoore station. I think that leaves about 23 million more to raise for the 2 new stations. That's a lot of cheese.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Brandywine is paying for half of the broadmoore station. I think that leaves about 23 million more to raise for the 2 new stations. That's a lot of cheese.
Austin FC has committed some money to Capmetro in their contract with the city. 640k upfront and $3 mil over 15 years. Some of that would probably go to an 803 station relocation.

That still leaves a lot left to cover. Who are the other players in the area that could possibly be interested in contributing? Capella? Stonelake Capital Partners?

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsnail View Post
Austin FC has committed some money to Capmetro in their contract with the city. 640k upfront and $3 mil over 15 years. Some of that would probably go to an 803 station relocation.

That still leaves a lot left to cover. Who are the other players in the area that could possibly be interested in contributing? Capella? Stonelake Capital Partners?
I wouldn't think Capella, as their plot is already TOD zoned.

I think where you need to look would be property owners (or developers proxying for owners) where a new station unlocks vastly increased development entitlements/development with bonuses. So another situation like Brandywine.

I'm not altogether impressed by that CI writeup. The current 803 route they show is wrong. As is the location of the proposed Broadmoor station (it has to be on the line).

Old Posted Jun 1, 2019, 1:40 PM

Looks like the long awaited SH45 SW will open today. Vital link for getting Hays County commuting traffic off of two-lane Brodie Ln.

Construction has been very quick, but this project has been planned since the early 90s. SOS lawsuits delayed it until 2017, when construction started.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2019, 2:18 PM
World Traveler

In the words of Samuel L. Jackson, "Hold on to your butts..."

Quote:
Heavy delays expected on I-35 in North Austin this weekend as TxDOT begins demolition of St. Johns Avenue bridge

Beginning at 9 p.m. on May 30, the Texas Department of Transportation will begin a long-term closure for the bridge crossing I-35 on St. Johns Avenue.

The closure comes as TxDOT demolishes half of the bridge on St. Johns Avenue over I-35 throughout the weekend. Workers are scheduled to demolish the second half of the bridge over the June 8 weekend.
https://communityimpact.com/austin/n...avenue-bridge/

So this was supposed to start a couple days ago, so the post is late, but the delays will go on for a while.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 9:32 PM

Quote:
I saw this quote from the FY2019 CapMetro Budget document (pg 221 of pdf):
"Capital Metro will be reimbursed by the developer for all expenditures over $1 million. This project is currently dependent upon the award of a grant."

In their projections, CM showed that public contributions toward the Kramer station relocation (Broadmoor) would be 500k in FY2019 and 500k in FY2020, with the remainder of the $13.4M coming from "Other Capital Contributions." The line for "Grants" is blank.

So I'm confused. How is this dependent upon a grant? Is Brandywine still paying the vast majority of costs for the Broadmoor station? Or did they make their promise based on the outcome of a federal grant application? Presumably Charles Schwab would throw in a little cash as well, though probably not much.

Also did anyone ever explain why the Braker/McKalla station would also cost $13M? The Broadmoor station ($13.4M) appears to be a showcase station, with design features that go way beyond normal.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsnail View Post
I saw this quote from the FY2019 CapMetro Budget document (pg 221 of pdf):
"Capital Metro will be reimbursed by the developer for all expenditures over $1 million. This project is currently dependent upon the award of a grant."

In their projections, CM showed that public contributions toward the Kramer station relocation (Broadmoor) would be 500k in FY2019 and 500k in FY2020, with the remainder of the $13.4M coming from "Other Capital Contributions." The line for "Grants" is blank.

So I'm confused. How is this dependent upon a grant? Is Brandywine still paying the vast majority of costs for the Broadmoor station? Or did they make their promise based on the outcome of a federal grant application? Presumably Charles Schwab would throw in a little cash as well, though probably not much.

Also did anyone ever explain why the Braker/McKalla station would also cost $13M? The Broadmoor station ($13.4M) appears to be a showcase station, with design features that go way beyond normal.
They applied for the federal B.U.I.L.D. grant for the station last year but they didn't get it. There is no current plan for how they will pay for the 2nd half of the station.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2019, 4:18 PM

Project connect mini update.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2019, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Project connect mini update.

Interesting. I think that's the first suggestion I've seen that grade separated sections could see an increase in (non-transit) vehicle lanes.

I wonder how the true believer transit zealots will take that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin