HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: Who will you vote for in the 2016 Manitoba Provincial Election?
New Democratic Party of Manitoba (NDP) 12 15.58%
Progressive Conservative Party of Manitoba (PC) 36 46.75%
Manitoba Liberal Party 19 24.68%
Other / Not Voting 10 12.99%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Anyhoo, he's going to be premier so it'll be a fun four years.
Correct...

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Unprecedented lies from NDP
May as well claim the Tories are going to drown puppies, ban hockey and cancel Christmas

By Tom Brodbeck,

Hmm lies? from the other side of the isle, from Tom..

Con't http://www.winnipegsun.com/2016/04/1...-lies-from-ndp
Tom Brodbeck badmouthing the NDP? No way! Actually, on two-tier medical care Pallister has been skillfully avoiding the question. If he just came out and said he would never do it that would be easier. Or would it?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 5:45 PM

Here's a further update to the story with Bokhari's reaction: "You're lying to people. There's no two ways about this. You're lying. People need to be able to trust their leadership."

Another tidbit from the article -- in investigating the story, CBC was only able to find out about it because there is a Costa Rican government agency called the General Migrations and Foreign Citizens Bureau that released his travel records.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spe...375856711.html

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 5:57 PM

^ If I were Bokhari who supposedly "forgot" about whether she filed taxes last year, I'd probably ease up on calling other people liars

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 6:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ If I were Bokhari who supposedly "forgot" about whether she filed taxes last year, I'd probably ease up on calling other people liars
LOL! Yeah no kidding!

Does Bokhari still live with her parents?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 6:12 PM

Fair enough, but I think misleading people about where you are and why, in particular when you are the opposition leader who really should be visiting people in a flood zone, instead of sipping mohitos on the beach, is entirely on another level than forgetting whether you did your taxes. I mean, this is just bad for him. But it's not going to stop him from being elected. It's just really too bad for the province that the premier isn't going to be someone with more integrity. And who likes infidels and Halloween.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 6:16 PM

^ Sadly, I don't think any of the party leaders are looking all that great right now.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 6:59 PM

Interesting article/opinion piece in part written by the former chair of the Manitoba Utilities board. Not sure where to put it but it covers the NDP's push for "green" energy so I put it here.

--------

How Manitoba’s ‘green’ power dream became a nightmare of runaway costs
Graham Lane and Tom Adams, Special to Financial Post | April 14, 2016 3:30 PM ET

Since the early 2000s, Manitoba’s NDP government has committed the province’s power system to expand and profit from the fight against global warming. With the federal government now developing a national energy plan with the same objectives — and Manitoba’s NDP fighting for re-election on Tuesday — there’s no better time to take stock of the provincial government’s efforts over the last 15 years.

And the results so far are clear: power sold at a loss to U.S. buyers, calls for federal subsidies, new debts and losses for Manitoba Hydro, a less-diversified power supply, and expensive rate hikes forecast to keep rising for the next 20 years. The few winners have been contractors and construction unions and some northern First Nations.

Full article: http://business.financialpost.com/fp...-runaway-costs

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 7:07 PM

^ I'll have to read that piece, it looks good.

One of the biggest sins of the NDP during their time in office was not the small potatoes PST increase, it's the way that hydro's potential has been being squandered by larding it with debt for unneeded capital projects. The dips have also done quite a job of eroding Manitoba's advantage of relatively low electricity rates.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 7:22 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

ONE of the biggest sins. The "water rental fees" are the worst scam though. Taking water that belongs to Manitobans and selling to Hydro which also belongs to Manitobans, with the net result being increased electricity rates to Manitobans.

And speaking of sins, there is this...

https://bgilchrist.wordpress.com/201...ncome-earners/

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
LOL! Yeah no kidding!

Does Bokhari still live with her parents?
you bet, a co-worker knows her and see below

Quote:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...file-1.3468383

She still lives with her parents and still relies on them to keep her grounded, she said, as she navigates life under a political spotlight.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 7:34 PM

It's not uncommon for people from non-western cultures to live with their parents if they aren't married. I wouldn't be so quick to judge her on that basis.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 7:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It's not uncommon for people from non-western cultures to live with their parents if they aren't married. I wouldn't be so quick to judge her on that basis.
Not when your 39 and trying to be premier of a province, if your 39 and still living at home you are pretty much a failure!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 10:26 PM

So we have Pallister who can't remember his vacation schedule, Bokhari can't remember if she filed her taxes or not and selinger can't remember what promise he has made and then backtracked on. It's the amnesia election this year.

What I care about are the issues that everyone can't remember to talk about. It's gotten to be a bit much and I will be glad when this election is over.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 10:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisforpm View Post
So we have Pallister who can't remember his vacation schedule, Bokhari can't remember if she filed her taxes or not and selinger can't remember what promise he has made and then backtracked on. It's the amnesia election this year.

What I care about are the issues that everyone can't remember to talk about. It's gotten to be a bit much and I will be glad when this election is over.
At a press conference in Costa Rica, Brian Pallister emphatically stated, "I do not spend too much time away from the province" in fact I spend as much time as I can in Alajuela province!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
At a press conference in Costa Rica, Brian Pallister emphatically stated, "I do not spend too much time away from the province" in fact I spend as much time as I can in Alajuela province!
If only Pallister owned two cottages in northwestern Ontario and claimed he barely spent any of his time at either he may have gotten a free ride. If this is what the election is decided on, I truly fear for the future of this province.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2016, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisforpm View Post
If only Pallister owned two cottages in northwestern Ontario and claimed he barely spent any of his time at either he may have gotten a free ride. If this is what the election is decided on, I truly fear for the future of this province.
If only he bought his second home on Saltspring Island, his reputation would be unimpeachable.

But this is a serious problem with Pallister. A lot of politicians are dog fuckers who play this exact kind of game--collect their pay and go on vacation as much as they can--so I won't really single him out for that, but I'm troubled by him blatantly lying about it, and it's another penny in the brimming Brian's out of touch bank. That guy's bubble is so impermeable I'm not sure he was a working immune system.

Bokhari would live with her parents. She's reminded me of a student politician since she took over the Liberal party. Her shambling shitshow of a campaign has been UMSU-esque, to say the least, and I think that's a grave insult. UMSU is and always has been an unsalvageable wreck of incompetence, stupidity, and corruption.

And then there's Sellinger and his gang of murderers and thieves. I wish we had some way to overturn this election before it even happens and to demand new candidates across the board.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2016, 1:57 AM

Is change in the air?

Newest mainstreet polls has the PC's at 57%, NDP at 25% and Libs at 9%

http://m.winnipegsun.com/2016/04/15/...-mega-majority

Old Posted Apr 16, 2016, 4:00 PM

^ Pollster predicts Tory ‘mega majority’

http://m.winnipegsun.com/2016/04/15/...-mega-majority

Quote:
The NDP won only 12 seats in the 1988 election, the last time they were decimated at the polls. They’ll likely win a similar amount this time around, maybe less. But unlike 1988, it will be the Tories who will pick up virtually all of the NDP’s lost seats, given the Liberals’ complete collapse in this election.

The only thing the NDP can do now is to protect what few seats they may have left in Winnipeg, like Minto and Point Douglas. Annihilation is staring them right in the face — as party members told Selinger two years ago when they asked him to leave — and the most they can do now is mitigate the damage.
I haven't heard the terms, mega majority, annihilation and decimated to describe a win in Manitoba in some time. Or am I jumping the gun..hahah..

Old Posted Apr 16, 2016, 4:44 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post

I haven't heard the terms, mega majority, annihilation and decimated to describe a win in Manitoba in some time. Or am I jumping the gun..hahah..
It has never happened, at least not since the second world war. 1988 was close but the anti-NDP vote split and allowed the NDP to recover quickly and push the new Liberals out before they became entrenched as the second party.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan