HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 7:16 PM
loafing in lotusland

Yeah, homestays are pretty decent. Especially as you're probably at home in the evenings communicating with your wife as opposed to nightclubbing, so it's nice to have a meal cooked for you.

That being said. NOT ALL HOMESTAYS are equal. Some of them are pure cash grabs. Watch out if you're one of several homestays in the place. It's mostly a problem that Asians face as they have little recourse if services are not provided as students usually don't speak up. It sucks for them, though. We host homestay from time to time usually through friends who are looking for a place to stay.

Your situation is different, as you can clearly communicate expectations on both sides and what happens if conditions are not met. ( Things like quiet hours, house rules, etc. meals provided ).

Also, I highly second a place in New Westminster. It's a bit of a commute, but a lovely place to spend 6 months with great access to downtown. Surrey Central is super convenient as well. Close to SkyTrain = mobility in Vancouver. Buses generally are hubbed at SkyTrain stations. Guildford is... meh... although having a car helps that situation.

And yes, SkyTrain is like the TTC subway, but faster acceleration and speed ( 30% faster overall average speed ), more frequent trains and better views ( elevated ). The caveat is that they're lower capacity and not as spacious inside. Bikes can only travel against the rush hour. ( Another reason New West is a good idea )

No one ever looks at a SkyTrain schedule.

If it weren't winter, I'd recommend New West and buying a 2nd-hand bike for the final part of the commute. But Winter riding is only for people who enjoy getting wet.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
Yeah, homestays are pretty decent. Especially as you're probably at home in the evenings communicating with your wife as opposed to nightclubbing, so it's nice to have a meal cooked for you.

That being said. NOT ALL HOMESTAYS are equal. Some of them are pure cash grabs. Watch out if you're one of several homestays in the place. It's mostly a problem that Asians face as they have little recourse if services are not provided as students usually don't speak up. It sucks for them, though. We host homestay from time to time usually through friends who are looking for a place to stay.

Your situation is different, as you can clearly communicate expectations on both sides and what happens if conditions are not met. ( Things like quiet hours, house rules, etc. meals provided ).

Also, I highly second a place in New Westminster. It's a bit of a commute, but a lovely place to spend 6 months with great access to downtown. Surrey Central is super convenient as well. Close to SkyTrain = mobility in Vancouver. Buses generally are hubbed at SkyTrain stations. Guildford is... meh... although having a car helps that situation.

And yes, SkyTrain is like the TTC subway, but faster acceleration and speed ( 30% faster overall average speed ), more frequent trains and better views ( elevated ). The caveat is that they're lower capacity and not as spacious inside. Bikes can only travel against the rush hour. ( Another reason New West is a good idea )

No one ever looks at a SkyTrain schedule.

If it weren't winter, I'd recommend New West and buying a 2nd-hand bike for the final part of the commute. But Winter riding is only for people who enjoy getting wet.
Yeah I picked a homestay where I'm the only home stayer. I think they might be trying to get one more but overall it's not a homestay being rented out to 5 students with no host family actually living there. I was careful about that, it's obvious some of the homestays out there are cash grab scams and questionably legal in terms of occupancy. I ended up finding a place near Brentford Skytrain Station. A bit of a commute but nice area, easy transit access, good homestay family. I actually found it hard to find one being mid sept and most already rented out to students. I arrive week of the 20th, looking forward to it!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 3:28 AM

Brentwood is fairly easy to commute from as you're going against the main commute but you do have a few hops so the 45 minute estimate is a bit wrong in reality.

You do have 2 transfers so be prepared for that. Brentwood -> Columbia is one leg then you need to get off the train, go out and under to the other side of the station (it is a side platform station not central), then wait for an Expo Line to King George train going the opposite direction and get on that to Surrey Central (second from last stop).

Then at Surrey Central you just get off and jump on the 96 B-line bus to Guildford or really anything else to Guildford since it isn't a long run (10-15 minutes).

Realistically I would bank on 1 hour total time from when you leave your place if you're about 5-10 minute walk from Brentwood Station. That's again simply due to needing to transfer twice.

For 6 months you're probably good to go.

Depending on when you start though you could actually ride SkyTrain from Brentwood to Lougheed then jump on the 555 bus to Guildford (drops you off at the HOV exit) and then hop the 337 bus. It's also 2 transfers but that, depending on the time, can actually get you to Guildford faster (about 45 minutes like was suggested). So you do have options.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
Brentwood is fairly easy to commute from as you're going against the main commute but you do have a few hops so the 45 minute estimate is a bit wrong in reality.

You do have 2 transfers so be prepared for that. Brentwood -> Columbia is one leg then you need to get off the train, go out and under to the other side of the station (it is a side platform station not central), then wait for an Expo Line to King George train going the opposite direction and get on that to Surrey Central (second from last stop).

Then at Surrey Central you just get off and jump on the 96 B-line bus to Guildford or really anything else to Guildford since it isn't a long run (10-15 minutes).

Realistically I would bank on 1 hour total time from when you leave your place if you're about 5-10 minute walk from Brentwood Station. That's again simply due to needing to transfer twice.

For 6 months you're probably good to go.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Brent...8897!5i2?hl=en

Technically speaking it is actually a lot faster by car but you don't have that option (21 minutes...)

Yeah the commute I figured will be an hour each way. A little more than I would have liked, but unlike Toronto, above ground, meaning I can surf. I've got a 3 gig data plan which should be enough.

I actually did look in Surrey but couldn't find available homestay options not already rented out, not in bad areas or with good transit options. I guess I could have gone the 500 - 600 dollar unfurnished basement option but I didn't feel comfortable enough to pick a place that wouldn't be in a "bad" spot neighborhood wise (buildings and denizens).

I'm thinking since I'm going month to month I can get a better lay of the land and move if the commute becomes too grinding.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion