HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Jun 30, 2010, 4:14 PM
Community Guy

^as in Datsun? If so I bow down to a god.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 30, 2010, 4:47 PM
loafing in lotusland

ColdRsx... you should step into the VW side. The DSG is a beautiful compromise between automatic and manual.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2010, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
My user name is my ride.
Dude, we have to meet. I want to see your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
While my response wasn't direct at you or to that topic, this begs the question: people actually buy the IS 250 manual??? No offense, but there are tons of better cars out there with a manual transmission...the IS 250 is among the worst you can get in a luxury car. Not to mention the combination to an anemic engine = absolutely boring and dull drive. The manual IS 250 RWD actually uses *more* fuel than the auto, that's how bad the manual is in terms of drivetrain power loss. It's as if the clutch disc was made of polished stainless steel covered with lube...
The IS 250 is not the only vehicle where the manual uses more gas than the auto. The automatic transmission probably has a torque converter that keeps it steady in the most fuel efficient range whereas the manual transmission is free to go apes**t from idle to redline. Besides just because I like to drive manual doesn't mean I drive like a ricer throughout town... if it was purely for performance I'd look an STI, Speed 3, or an older Toyota GT-Four.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Why buy a Lexus at all, when you can get a BMW or even an Infiniti G37? A friend of mine dubbed Lexii "visor-ladymobiles"!
Sheesh. I'm hear to quash that stereotype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
ColdRsx... you should step into the VW side. The DSG is a beautiful compromise between automatic and manual.
I don't ever want to see the words DSG and beautiful in the same sentence ever again. Ever. I don't doubt the DSG is pretty good technology, I will never be able to shift in .02 seconds or whatever it is, but I never feel fully connected to a car unless I have a clutch pedal under my left foot.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2010, 8:34 PM

My new ride is being delivered next week, I can't wait: (dealer pic found on google)

Old Posted Jul 5, 2010, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Why buy a Lexus at all, when you can get a BMW or even an Infiniti G37? A friend of mine dubbed Lexii "visor-ladymobiles"!
Why buy a BMW? They have cheap interiors and the idea that they drive differently than other cars is just advertising (based on test driving a Z4 last week). I happen to like luxury, and would go Japanese sooner than German, and if I went German I'd go Mercedes.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2010, 7:01 PM
In Love With YVRthing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porfiry View Post
Why buy a BMW? They have cheap interiors and the idea that they drive differently than other cars is just advertising (based on test driving a Z4 last week). I happen to like luxury, and would go Japanese sooner than German, and if I went German I'd go Mercedes.
The new Z4s aren't great but as far as driving goes, BMW sedans are in a league apart from any other automaker, I'm sorry. I don't have a great stereotype of BMW drivers - I don't think they usually buy them for the suspension so much as the roundel on the hood - but as a rabid Audi/VW fan, even I can admit they're head and shoulders above when it comes to handling. I have little to no respect for Lexus but they're safe, reliable transportation and I know that they're popular around here.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2010, 7:11 PM

I don't understand why people buy manual gear boxes these days outside of minor cost savings in some cases. Even the most exotic of super cars are pretty much automatic. Sure they have manual modes which give you the illusion that you're driving stick, but they really aren't. Not to mention there are very few cars built these days where the manual gear box will get better gas mileage than the automatic. When I can drop my gear into simple drive and cruise through traffic or around town without worrying about a clutch, I hug my automatic. And trust me when I drop it to first manual and punch it blowing away full manual sports cars off the line while insta-shifting at red line to use all the HP available, I continue to hug my automatic.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2010, 7:38 PM
In Love With YVRthing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
When I can drop my gear into simple drive and cruise through traffic or around town without worrying about a clutch, I hug my automatic.
Because for people who like being connected to their vehicles beyond pure horsepower, the above just does not compute also FYI, peak horsepower isn't usually found at redline. Automatics are great for a ton of people but sometimes a car is more than a means of conveyance and in that case, you can't beat the do-it-yourself.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2010, 7:40 PM
So very tired...

I like to drive a car rather than play video games...seriously though...it's all about control of power delivery. Manual for me please...

Old Posted Jul 5, 2010, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
^as in Datsun? If so I bow down to a god.
lol... no Datsun. But wouldn't that, like, be the bestest ride ever down Robson?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2010, 7:54 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
Maybe so but the s2000 tranny is by far the best i have ever driven with and i would go as far as to say the best production gear box in the world.

If you have to ask why you would want a manual, you obviously are not a 'car guy', do not like to appreciate real driving sensations, nor do you step foot on a track.

I would kill myself if i had to drive an auto.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 5, 2010, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
The IS 250 is not the only vehicle where the manual uses more gas than the auto. The automatic transmission probably has a torque converter that keeps it steady in the most fuel efficient range whereas the manual transmission is free to go apes**t from idle to redline. Besides just because I like to drive manual doesn't mean I drive like a ricer throughout town... if it was purely for performance I'd look an STI, Speed 3, or an older Toyota GT-Four.
Fuel efficiency tests on manual cars are done by doing the most efficient method of shifting. This is basically racing towards the top gear as soon as possible to keep the RPMs low...just like an auto would.
A torque converter doesn't help to keep the engine in the best RPM range, it transfers power through a thick fluid in 1st or 2nd gear then locks up after that. In fact, it actually decreases efficiency...however newer transmissions usually spend very little time in those gears, so it is essentially wasting the same amount of power a human would with a manual during starting/shifting (before full clutch engagement is achieved).
A CVT, on the other hand, would always keep the engine in the right RPM range with minimum power loss.

I personally couldn't care less for a manual, as it would drive me nuts in city driving. Plus my auto locks up from 3rd to 6th and allows me full control except for downshifting when stalling or shifting up when inside redline RPM. Most manual cars have this protection in place by cutting fuel when reaching redline, so you don't necessarily get any more control. However, the IS 250 auto "manual mode" is more of a "suggestion mode" where it only sets limits on the top gear and doesn't allow direct control.

I didn't say get a ricer, I just said the IS 250 manual transmission is bad, a point made by many reviews. I believe somebody said most manual Toyota cars are better than the one in the IS 250.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2010, 8:17 PM
ON3P Skis

just drove my Dad's new X5 M. Holy shit that thing is fast. 555hp is amazing!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 11:25 PM

here's my ride 60% of the time.
KGS Tier 3.

photo: www.kgsbikes.com

Old Posted Jul 24, 2010, 4:22 PM
Perpetual I.A.

1997 Volvo 850 wagon
2001 Triumph Bonneville
Now I need a big old Cadillac Eldorado to tow my 1972 Airstream

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 3:01 AM

In light of where gas prices are headed these days, I'm really happy I took delivery of a new Jetta TDI (turbo-diesel) last weekend. I'm looking forward to see if I can hypermile it to 40 mpg city!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 4:20 AM

heres my ride... with no steering.

I also replaced the idler arm at the same time. eyed up the alignment enough that it was driveable (to an alignment specalist). might not get 40 mpg but I saved $700 on repairs

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 5:57 AM

I couldn't put up with my 97 Blazer...stuff would break every week. Also nearly killed me when the brake line exploded. I can imagine the S10 suffers the same issues, as its basically the same car.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 6:48 AM

aha... this is true. on the plus side I have learned a lot about fixing cars from owning this thing. I've had this for about 13 months now and this is the list of things I've done or had done to it.

battery
starter
alternator
flex-plate (transmission)
major tune up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, timing)
2 fuel filters
K&N air filter
Idle air control Valve
Throttle position sensor
transmission fluid and filter
o2 sensor
muffler
catalytic converter
front and rear u-joints
steering (inner+outer tie rod ends, center link, idler arm, ball joints, alignment)
A/C delete
coolant system flush
coolant temp sensor and t-stat

is that it? i'm sure there was something else

ashes to ashes, dust to dust... if it weren't for my chevy my tools would rust

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 1:20 PM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:
In light of where gas prices are headed these days, I'm really happy I took delivery of a new Jetta TDI (turbo-diesel) last weekend. I'm looking forward to see if I can hypermile it to 40 mpg city!

Well I have to say I like it a lot better than the bimmer. I like the wagon better though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion