HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 6:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
really I love having a car and a truck I drive everywhere
Well, surely by the time I retire to the wild suburbs of West Vancouver or Point Grey, I'll have one. But for now, I just don't actually go anywhere.

All work and no play... and, well, I live within 3 blocks of everything I like, need, or want. Small World!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 6:55 AM

I currently own a '99 Plymouth Neon, I've owned it since it was brand spanking new. I calculated that I've made at least 15 round trips through the mountains to Vancouver and Calgary over the course of my ownership of it. I don't use it much these days as I walk to work everyday and have the calves to prove it. I also take transit frequently but it is nice having a car in times of need, like out of town drives or groceries. I don't take many pics of it but this may be the most recent, heavily processed picture I have of it:

If I could do it all over again, I'd buy a classic car and save on the many years of car payments I endured.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 12:11 PM
BANNED

My '07 jeep liberty. This was taken on an off roading trip up near chilliwack

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 1:41 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Nice vette, I've been looking for a hardtop of that same generation but I don't want to spend the amount of money people are asking for them. Ideally I'd get one with a dead drivetrain as I'd want to drop in a LS6/LS7.

My current ride consists of an uninsured jeep cheeroke that has never been washed. Even my bike hasn't been taken out since moving d/t as I walk or take the train everywhere lately.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 3:02 PM
victory in near

i drive a 2000 chevy bazer and my wife drives a 2003 mazda tribute.

i do not care what the fundy enviro's say, I will always love driving trucks. it seems every weekend i find myself hauling crap to the dump, going to ikea, or piling in tons of people.

my only regret is that my chevy is american made (and it shows) and the mazda tribute is too small for the wife and kids.

http://lawrencevalley.com/AutoMartMo...s/image084.jpg

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...15/145789.html

Last edited by djmk; Jun 21, 2010 at 4:24 PM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 4:50 PM
ON3P Skis

2004 Volvo V70 R, 5GT (tiptronic). No picture yet, I'll have one up soon. Just got it a couple weeks ago and I love it. I look forward to ski season again.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 5:00 PM

Nice rides everyone!

I wish I didn't want or need a car, life would be so much simpler if I lived in town convenient to transit and close to a Zip Car or C.A.N. hub, I'd have an extra $12,000 a year in my pocket. One problem is that I love driving standard, so I'd have to have at least one car, but that would be my Celica probably, bought it outright and only need to pay insurance, gas, and I do my own maintenance, and just rent a sedan, minivan, pickup, or SUV car share as required.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 11:30 PM

The Paris Métro and RER !!!

Old Posted Jun 22, 2010, 5:30 AM

ok here we go

working for myself

at the Vancouver Dump

do you really want to know?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2010, 8:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
Nice rides everyone!

I wish I didn't want or need a car, life would be so much simpler if I lived in town convenient to transit and close to a Zip Car or C.A.N. hub, I'd have an extra $12,000 a year in my pocket. One problem is that I love driving standard, so I'd have to have at least one car, but that would be my Celica probably, bought it outright and only need to pay insurance, gas, and I do my own maintenance, and just rent a sedan, minivan, pickup, or SUV car share as required.
Wouldn't it be nice if you could pay for basic storage insurance for your Celica. And on those days that you need it. You get a day Insurance. Without it costing an arm and a leg just to get a days worth of insurance.

I was in the same situation as you. Cheap car that I owned. I only paid around $85/mth for insurance and around $60/mth for gas. I did my own maintance so it was dirt cheap. Yet when I looked at taking transit more. The only way it would financially benefit me is if I completely parked the car and did not have any insurance on it. Luckily though I do live in the city so I haven't had any major need for a car.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2010, 1:02 PM
BANNED

How did I know this thread would be over-run by preachy public transit users...

Old Posted Jun 22, 2010, 1:23 PM
loafing in lotusland

Overrun? Hardly.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2010, 1:27 PM
BANNED

"I don't need/want a car, I take public transit, everything is so close to me, blah blah blah"

Then don't post in a thread about what car you drive

Old Posted Jun 22, 2010, 2:04 PM
In Love With YVRthing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Dolphin View Post
"I don't need/want a car, I take public transit, everything is so close to me, blah blah blah"

Then don't post in a thread about what car you drive
It didn't go negative until you got here, bud.

From what I see, most transit users are thankful they do live in a city where they can take transit so easily because they (I) would love a car but can't afford it. Driving and working on a car are two of the awesome things in life. Until I have the money, however, Skytrain it is.

One day soon, it'll be a lovingly restored '90 VW Corrado G60, Tornado Red. Can't wait

Old Posted Jun 22, 2010, 4:07 PM

BANNED. lol.

I went two years after college without a car just fine. I still consider owning a car a luxury, it's something many families are taking for granted.

I ran the idea of moving to town close to transit and a car share hub, selling the Mazda 5 and keeping the Celica with my wife and she agrees with the idea. It would save us heaps of money. I'd keep the Celica because I still want a car to call my own and we'd keep it insured because meh $100 a month is not too bad since the car would be shared between my wife and I and we may need it say middle of the night when our baby is sick and there's no transit available to get to the nearest 24 hr pharmacy or emergency room. We really don't need two cars, even one car would be simply nice to have, but I just really wanted something to tinker around with. I don't care about the Mazda anymore to be honest, I'm going to sell it as soon as we move back to the city.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2010, 6:31 PM
victory in near

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwide View Post
ok here we go

do you really want to know?

that looks like a good party.

I really want to know

Old Posted Jun 23, 2010, 3:15 AM

Well, here is my ride in Canada.

It is a 2006 Pontiac G5 Pursuit, I bought it brand new, and it is sad how quickly the years pass, haha.

It is nothing spectacular but I like it, it has taken me on many road trips to the Okanagan and the Island, and it has been carrying my camera equipment for years (and it is good on gas!).

It has almost all the options except leather seats. Also, it is standard by my request, since I have never wanted to drive automatic (that takes all the fun out of driving).

Of course I also take skytrain, WCE and walk when I can, but I have always loved driving, and always will! (when there is no traffic, hehe)

Unfortunately I have no pics of the car I drive in Japan without my wife in them, and I know she would hate for me to post a pic of her on this forum, haha! It is a small red Toyota hatchback.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2010, 4:01 AM
be nice to the crackheads

I sold my car in Canada, so I'm at the mercy of friends/the bus/skytrain while in Vancouver. Staying in Kelowna is a bitch; I have to get my parents to drive me everywhere.

In Shanghai, it's the subway during the day and taxis at night.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2010, 4:10 AM

Considering I'm living on a student budget and that I live in an area with very, very good transit service in a very walkable area in the City, it won't be for awhile until I get my own car.....when that time comes I think I'll be looking at a Volkswagen or a pre-owned BMW.

A friend of mine actually recently bought a Smart Car, but it doesn't seem so smart if you get hit by a semi...

Old Posted Jun 23, 2010, 5:15 AM

You could be driving a Dodge Ram with a hemi but youre still gonna get fucked up by a semi

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion