HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 10:08 PM

I saw some pics of people in apartments down there where the toilets backed up and flooded their bathroom

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
I saw some pics of people in apartments down there where the toilets backed up and flooded their bathroom
Huh???? Are the storm water and sewage systems NOT separate in OV?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 7:05 PM

I found this little bit of info interesting, from an article about Bard on the Beach's record season. Shape of things to come?

...Sakaki said she’s very clear to people inquiring whether she and her colleagues at the summer festival get to take the winter off; the answer is no. And among the issues they’ll be addressing over the next seven months is how to adapt to wildfire smoke blowing into the city with more frequency during the summer.

“[Wildfire smoke] turned right before it got to a place where it was going to be dangerous for people to perform. We altered what we could in terms of trying to reduce the physical exertion of some of the actors. And we stayed in close contact with them… the days that the smoke was quite bad just to see how people were feeling,” she said.
Other outdoor festivals were not so lucky.

The Oregon Shakespeare Festivalrevealed in late September that it lost US $2 million as a result of cancelled performances due to wildfire smoke...

https://www.vancourier.com/entertain...les-1.23480632

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 7:27 PM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
I found this little bit of info interesting, from an article about Bard on the Beach's record season. Shape of things to come?

...Sakaki said she’s very clear to people inquiring whether she and her colleagues at the summer festival get to take the winter off; the answer is no. And among the issues they’ll be addressing over the next seven months is how to adapt to wildfire smoke blowing into the city with more frequency during the summer.

“[Wildfire smoke] turned right before it got to a place where it was going to be dangerous for people to perform. We altered what we could in terms of trying to reduce the physical exertion of some of the actors. And we stayed in close contact with them… the days that the smoke was quite bad just to see how people were feeling,” she said.
Other outdoor festivals were not so lucky.

The Oregon Shakespeare Festivalrevealed in late September that it lost US $2 million as a result of cancelled performances due to wildfire smoke...

https://www.vancourier.com/entertain...les-1.23480632

Weird, it's like global warming is actually starting to affect the economy, like all those uninformed eco-warriors and scientists have been saying would happen for awhile now...

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 5:32 AM

stay dry folks

Flash floods 'likely' amid rainfall warning for Metro Vancouver

Up to 80 mm of rain expected over next 24 hours for parts of South Coast

CBC News · Posted: Nov 01, 2018

Rainfall warnings are in effect for Metro Vancouver, Howe Sound and the Fraser Valley with heavy downpours making flash flooding likely.

Between 50 and 80 millimetres are expected for those regions between Thursday and Friday morning.

Environment Canada said that amount of rain is likely to cause flash floods, water pooling on the roads and localized flooding in low-lying areas.

Landslides could also happen in vulnerable areas like steep slopes, the agency said.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...lley-1.4887172

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 4:49 AM

Cambie Street today, looking north.

Nov.30 '18, my pics

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 4:23 AM

It's been fairy warm so far in my opinion. Have the north shore mountains even got any snow yet? I even heard thunder last Friday which seems really rare for being this deep into the year. Usually those thunder storms occur August/September and that's even rare.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 4:59 AM

Dec.2 '18, my pics

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 5:05 AM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
It's been fairy warm so far in my opinion. Have the north shore mountains even got any snow yet? I even heard thunder last Friday which seems really rare for being this deep into the year. Usually those thunder storms occur August/September and that's even rare.

If Alberta has their way you might as well give up on consistent snow through the winter on those mountains, henceforth.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 5:18 AM
Reason and Freedom

Beautiful photos, mcminsen.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 7:50 AM

I am stuck up north tonight. Was supposed to catch a westjet flight home from Ft St John at 7 pm. At 6:30 ish they announced that the plane was circling overhead and would try land at 6:50. It is extremely foggy here, driving in it has been a nightmare like zero visibility or at best a few metres and when its dark its impossible to see anything so have to drive slow on the very icy roads.

So around 7:20 they announce that the plane which was coming in from Calgary was diverted to Vancouver and the flight was cancelled please come and get a new booking. I got one for Monday at noon via Calgary. Hopefully the fog lifts, its forecasted to clear out around noon. Fingers crossed.

Air Canada cancelled all its flights, I overheard that the flight in from YVR in the afternoon was diverted to Prince George and the rest of the days flights (2 of them) were cancelled.

Anyway here is a pic on my drive in from Alberta, it was like being in a void, everything was white, it was pretty cool but hard to drive in, cars trucks etc were not visible until about 10m or so. Luckily the Alberta roads were bare and one could drive the speed limit. As soon as I crossed into BC the roads were crap, covered in ice and it just got worse, had to drive 70 km, it was like a skating rink. I don't know how the Alberta side has such bare perfect roads given the same conditions.

I had to pull over cause the window was stuck open, it wouldnt go down cause it was so cold, then when I did get it down it wouldnt go back up lol. ugh. hate winter. The hoar frost is absolutely amazing though.

2018-12-03_12-42-29 by snub_you, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
It's been fairly warm so far in my opinion. Have the north shore mountains even got any snow yet? I even heard thunder last Friday which seems really rare for being this deep into the year. Usually those thunder storms occur August/September and that's even rare.
That late November thunder you heard is, in fact, not so unusual. (Seattle gets winter lightning over the Cascades, and the pictures are impressive).
It is caused when an air mass is suddenly forced upwards (the N.S. mountains going from 1300 ft - Black Mtn. - to 1500m (Strachan) - to up over 2000m (The Lions)
The sudden updraft creates instability right for "winter thunder and lightning," surely less rare than a summer t'storm, with rising cumulonimbus clouds - but impressive anyway.

Last edited by trofirhen; Dec 3, 2018 at 2:12 PM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 3:04 PM

I was up in Whistler skiing on Saturday. Not much snow there and most of it man-made snow. Only 9 runs open and hence super busy.

With only sun in this week's forecast, I don't think it's going to be getting better anytime soon either.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 12:11 AM

Quote:
I am stuck up north tonight. Was supposed to catch a westjet flight home from Ft St John at 7 pm. At 6:30 ish they announced that the plane was circling overhead and would try land at 6:50. It is extremely foggy here, driving in it has been a nightmare like zero visibility or at best a few metres and when its dark its impossible to see anything so have to drive slow on the very icy roads.

So around 7:20 they announce that the plane which was coming in from Calgary was diverted to Vancouver and the flight was cancelled please come and get a new booking. I got one for Monday at noon via Calgary. Hopefully the fog lifts, its forecasted to clear out around noon. Fingers crossed.

Air Canada cancelled all its flights, I overheard that the flight in from YVR in the afternoon was diverted to Prince George and the rest of the days flights (2 of them) were cancelled.

Anyway here is a pic on my drive in from Alberta, it was like being in a void, everything was white, it was pretty cool but hard to drive in, cars trucks etc were not visible until about 10m or so. Luckily the Alberta roads were bare and one could drive the speed limit. As soon as I crossed into BC the roads were crap, covered in ice and it just got worse, had to drive 70 km, it was like a skating rink. I don't know how the Alberta side has such bare perfect roads given the same conditions.

I had to pull over cause the window was stuck open, it wouldnt go down cause it was so cold, then when I did get it down it wouldnt go back up lol. ugh. hate winter. The hoar frost is absolutely amazing though.

Welcome back to Vancouver ..... eventually. And yet people here complain about rain!!!

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 3:01 AM
SkyTrain Nut

It seems to be a little breezy.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 3:49 AM

Quote:
>snip<

i guess you missed the class in driving school where it's explained that the speed limit is meant for ideal driving conditions, which isn't what you described

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 5:18 AM

Yes, a bit breezy out there today. I usually go to Kerrisdale on Thursdays but had to bail out after waiting for almost half an hour for a bus by Oakridge. I was holding onto my hat and my knapsack was lifted off my back and was horizontal. When the people behind me had their stroller (with kid inside) get blown over I decided okay, enough of this, I'm going home. The dad was trying to hold onto it but a gust or microburst caught it and it got airborne. I tried to get a bottle at the big BC Liquor Store near Oakridge but they were closed due to a power outage. Thankfully the Canada Line was still running okay and I got home early.

The reports on the Weather Network are pretty crazy. The White Rock Pier is severed. Big trees down in various places including the Stanley Park causeway and Dunbar and Kerrisdale. A lot of people without power tonight.

From Twitter:

==========

Pells Bells said:

"High winds caused a house boat to disconnect from the dock and traveled all the way across Maple Bay on Vancouver Island. Ran aground near my parents place."

source: https://twitter.com/kpelly/status/10...oding%2F119912

============

Constable James Hooper said:

"Large trees are starting to come down in Shaughnessy, Kerrisdale and Dunbar."

source: https://twitter.com/4Echo13/status/1...oding%2F119912

=============

Drive BC said:

"Tree down in the #StanleyPark Causeway has the road reduced to a single lane of traffic in each direction. Crews are on scene. Expect heavy delays and drive with care."

source: https://twitter.com/DriveBC/status/1...oding%2F119912

===========

Jeff Nagel said:

"Historic White Rock pier severed, wrecked boats floating in gap."

source: https://twitter.com/jeffnagel/status...oding%2F119912

Last edited by mcminsen; Jan 3, 2019 at 4:00 AM.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
i guess you missed the class in driving school where it's explained that the speed limit is meant for ideal driving conditions, which isn't what you described
the roads in Alberta were perfect, when I crossed the border to BC they were horrible, same weather and terrain, they just do a crap job keeping the highway clear. I was going slow but pickups were bombing passed me.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 5:13 AM

I wonder when winter might arrive?

Downtown Vancouver, Jan.18 '19, my pics

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
I wonder when winter might arrive?

This winter is playing out similar to the Olympic year (2009-10), 2014-15 and 2015-16. Other than the few flakes we've seen on a couple occasions this winter, I wouldn't expect anything more.

The lowest temp Vancouver has hit this winter is around -6C so it's been quite the mild season

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion