HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1187 View Post
So what are y'all's thoughts on the cactus print going around the upper portion of the HBGCC?

IMO I'm not a huge fan of it.
I'm pretty sure it's not a print. The art installation itself could be pretty cool (look up the artist for other works).

But it does seems out of place with the trees below it. If the landscaping was filled with yuccas, agave and mesquite, maybe so. (I'm glad they are actually planting shade trees.)

I wouldn't have a problem with a greenery/nature/wildlife theme. I just feel there is a better representative object(s) for San Antonio than cactus.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 10:29 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Just adding some information to the "historical" discussion... not taking sides:

When a building (any building, not necessarily the Travelers Hotel) is designated a historical landmark, it then falls under jurisdiction of review committees any time the owner wishes to make upgrades. For example, the windows may need to be made of wood and slide up and down in a track, the lobby lighting may need to have certain aesthetics, etc. So a building may actually be historical in some way but not officially be deemed a historical landmark. That way the owner has more leeway is making renovations and upgrades.
If the building is within a historical designated area, regardless of its own definition. It will be under HDR review.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 2:25 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
If the building is within a historical designated area, regardless of its own definition. It will be under HDR review.
That's true. I used to live in Greenwich Village in NYC and the whole damned neighborhood is a historical district. Even street signs have a certain look.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
That's true. I used to live in Greenwich Village in NYC and the whole damned neighborhood is a historical district. Even street signs have a certain look.
Same thing in San Antonio. Regular neighbourhoods have blue street signs while historical neighborhoods have custom (usually brown) street signs.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Same thing in San Antonio. Regular neighbourhoods have blue street signs while historical neighborhoods have custom (usually brown) street signs.
Yup. The whole area around SAC is replete with them. I like them.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLtoSA View Post
The city released them:
http://www.kens5.com/story/news/loca...sign/17282963/

News of upgrades being part of the bid was obvious and reported a long time ago, but I was waiting for these to be released.

I really like the expanded concourses and the terraces above (with great views of Downtown on the west side).

The video boards were an obvious need, and will hopefully happen regardless, but I was surprised not to see new suites for the south end (maybe that is where the new Terrace Club will be).
Just wanted to make a coment and hopefully someone can give me better insight. I'm from Dallas and currently living in San Antonio and I don't understand the need for exterior renovations with the area around the dome being undeveloped. The equivalent to me in Dallas is the American Airlines Center which is surrounded by restaurants, shops, lofts, hotels etc and all of the surrounding space outside of the arena is useful at most times of the day. I just don't see the long term "usefulness" of a renovated plaza when it will be unoccupied any time other than when there is an event going on. Someone please help me understand.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by venshard View Post
Just wanted to make a coment and hopefully someone can give me better insight. I'm from Dallas and currently living in San Antonio and I don't understand the need for exterior renovations with the area around the dome being undeveloped. The equivalent to me in Dallas is the American Airlines Center which is surrounded by restaurants, shops, lofts, hotels etc and all of the surrounding space outside of the arena is useful at most times of the day. I just don't see the long term "usefulness" of a renovated plaza when it will be unoccupied any time other than when there is an event going on. Someone please help me understand.
Kind of what I would like to see with the North plaza, the side that faces Sunset Station. Some integration with that area, and possibly to the East, north of the parking lot.

ETA: Part of the problem is the AD is hemmed in for the most part. It's separated from DT by I37, and from the neighborhood to the east by the tracks. The North plaza seems the most viable for what you are talking about.

If the AD were on the other side of I37, perhaps we would see more of the AA type of setup.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 1:36 AM

If I'm not mistaken, VIA has plans for that space. At least the "Robert Thompson Transit Center" portion of it. Back in 2012 they said they wanted to build mixed use at the site and there was a rendering a few months back that showed apartment buildings. But that might've been tied to the streetcar project, so who knows if it'll happen now.

Also, isn't Zachry planning to buildout more of Sunset Station now that U of H is moving in? That should add some life to the area.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
Kind of what I would like to see with the North plaza, the side that faces Sunset Station. Some integration with that area, and possibly to the East, north of the parking lot.

ETA: Part of the problem is the AD is hemmed in for the most part. It's separated from DT by I37, and from the neighborhood to the east by the tracks. The North plaza seems the most viable for what you are talking about.

If the AD were on the other side of I37, perhaps we would see more of the AA type of setup.
I definitely agree with the East being taken advantage of. There is an underpass going from the AD to the secondary parking lot across the tracks so that is possibly a solution in itself to the separation. I think that to utilize the eastern portion of that area they need to go vertical with parking and build a substantial garage which I think is imminent at some point. And at that point I think more lofts could be added like the ones that are almost finished at the intersection of 37 and 35.
Also, if I'm not mistaken there is an underpass, that I think is closed right now, that connects the AD to the new convention center expansion area. If the city can manage to add something across the street from the convention center, that could easily be a booming little spot b/c of its proximity to the AD. Because right now all it offers is the awkwardly placed Denny's.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2014, 1:15 AM

So what is the status of the HEB in DT SA? Last I heard it was approved along with a related street closure.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 11:39 AM

First $100+ million tower sale in San Antonio

The Bank of America Plaza sale is set to close this month.
At nearly $200 per sq. ft., the unconfirmed price cited by local commercial real estate brokers who are not part of the transaction, the building would be valued at more than $100 million, far and away the highest price ever paid for a downtown office tower in San Antonio.
Could this spur more development DT?
“This is going to be a game changer for downtown San Antonio,” said one commercial broker not involved in the sale. “Taken together with the Weston Urban/Frost Bank proposal, we are seeing the market come alive in a big way after 25 or 30 years.”

Several individuals in the commercial real estate market said the Bank of America Plaza sale is a sign that institutional investors who once passed over San Antonio while active in Dallas, Houston and Austin, are seeing higher prices in those cities and lower entry points here as a reason to buy in San Antonio. Such investment, they said, could spur the first new wave of significant development in downtown San Antonio since the 1980s.
Any thoughts on what this could mean for downtown. Is a boom of sorts coming, with DT real estate getting more expensive in Austin, Houston and Dallas?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 5:15 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
The Bank of America Plaza sale is set to close this month.
At nearly $200 per sq. ft., the unconfirmed price cited by local commercial real estate brokers who are not part of the transaction, the building would be valued at more than $100 million, far and away the highest price ever paid for a downtown office tower in San Antonio.
Could this spur more development DT?
“This is going to be a game changer for downtown San Antonio,” said one commercial broker not involved in the sale. “Taken together with the Weston Urban/Frost Bank proposal, we are seeing the market come alive in a big way after 25 or 30 years.”

Several individuals in the commercial real estate market said the Bank of America Plaza sale is a sign that institutional investors who once passed over San Antonio while active in Dallas, Houston and Austin, are seeing higher prices in those cities and lower entry points here as a reason to buy in San Antonio. Such investment, they said, could spur the first new wave of significant development in downtown San Antonio since the 1980s.
Any thoughts on what this could mean for downtown. Is a boom of sorts coming, with DT real estate getting more expensive in Austin, Houston and Dallas?
I've been saying for the past 10 years now that San Antonio will have its day once investors get sick of the high cost of real estate in the other 3 metros. SA has a huge advantage when it comes to price right now, so I do believe companies will start looking toward SA for good deals when deciding where to locate offices.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 12:02 PM

VACANT RIVER WALK PROPERTIES PUT IN PLAY

Quote:
Marshall Davidson Jr. and his team at KMD Studley, a commercial real estate brokerage firm, have assembled some of the downtown River Walk’s last vacant properties and adjacent parcels and are shopping them to a national audience of developers.

They’ve bundled a portfolio of six previously unavailable properties controlled by five different owners to create the kind of ground-up development opportunity that they say has been missing in San Antonio’s downtown revitalization efforts. There are no prices attached to the parcels, and Davidson said the owners are open-minded.

Other developers have said in the past that owners of downtown parcels have unrealistic expectations of their value, and their unwillingness to sell at market rate has impeded downtown redevelopment. The KMD Studley package should prove to be a good test of what buyers are willing to pay to develop in the most affordable downtown of any major Texas city.

Most of the buildings are vacant or underutilized, though some are occupied by tenants with multi-year leases. The City’s passage in June of a Vacant Building Ordinance that goes into effect on Jan. 1, 2015 could serve as a catalyst for absentee property owners to sell now rather than face costly building upgrades or fines.

Quote:
The properties are within easy walking distance of the Tobin Center for the Performing Arts to the east and the Southwest School of Art to the west, the Central Library to the north and the Central Business District’s Class A office towers, Bank of America Plaza, the Weston Centre and One Riverwalk Place, to the south.

“The most incredible thing is they are six River Walk blocks, totaling six acres in downtown San Antonio, in the same stretch of river, and all of it looks like it can be developed from the ground up. This includes a site tested for a 500,000 sq. ft. headquarters tower and parking structures,” Davidson said. “Now you have six blocks on the river where you can build brand new, efficient and modern buildings and park them. I don’t know of another city in the U.S. where you can do this on this scale.”

Davidson was referring to site testing that was conducted in 2006 on behalf of AT&T Corp. when the Fortune 500 company was still based in San Antonio and executives were considering construction of an office tower downtown to serve as a new corporate headquarters. The company that moved here from St. Louis in 1993 decided instead to relocate to Dallas in 2008.

National developers, Davidson said, will take a closer look when they learn that AT&T seriously vetted the site for its own use.

The opening of the Tobin Center, the evolution of the former Southwest Crafts Center into the accredited, four-year Southwest School of Art, and the proximity of Artpace and the Central Library, Davidson said, could serve as anchor institutions in an emerging arts and entertainment district.

The portfolio includes the downtown’s most-cited example of a vacant, blighted building, the 10-story Hedrick Building, which has sat unused for more than two decades on 1.4 acres of property on the northwest corner of North St. Mary’s and East Martin Streets. The prime riverfront property includes parking and a smaller attached building.

Quote:
KMD Studley’s move comes on the heels of Weston Urban’s ambitious proposal to build downtown San Antonio’s first new office tower in more than 25 years to serve as a new corporate headquarters for Frost Bank, while also acquiring a number of other properties from the bank and the City of San Antonio in a complex swap. That proposal and a competing proposal from Primera Properties are under review by the City.

The Weston Urban proposal and KMD Studley’s marketing effort, if successful, could set off multi-block redevelopment efforts downtown that would attract more jobs, create more residential units and expand the tax base.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 4:22 PM
James

I just read that. This article is very exciting! It seems that the area around Frost and the Weston Centre is the next boom area downtown.

I also read that Lot 5 does not have a height restriction because of its location to the river. I'm sure it won't be extremely tall, but someone could draw up something to impact the skyline.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 7:38 PM
Paradise

Awesome. That section of downtown is a good area for some high rises.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 10:11 PM
Paradise

Mixed use development at Cattleman Square

https://sanantonio.legistar.com/Legi...0-BA9779155CE2

Old Posted Nov 15, 2014, 6:45 AM

Quote:
Should San Antonio win one of three final four bids, the Alamodome will see a 50 million dollar renovation.

Improvements include:
  • New wider concources on east and west sides of building
  • Two new LED screens
  • New terrace club
  • New concession stands
  • New locker rooms
  • Outdoor plaza

Well, San Antonio won the bid to host the men's Final Four in 2018.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2014, 7:00 AM

BEFORE

AFTER

Old Posted Nov 15, 2014, 7:02 PM

I guess they're going to need to get started on the upgrades right away.

What typically happens when a city wins a bid to host is that they are also set as a host city for a sweet sixteen the year before (so they can get things perfect the following year). The NCAA would probably like to see these upgrades in place and functioning by March 2017.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
I guess they're going to need to get started on the upgrades right away.

What typically happens when a city wins a bid to host is that they are also set as a host city for a sweet sixteen the year before (so they can get things perfect the following year). The NCAA would probably like to see these upgrades in place and functioning by March 2017.
A sweet sixteen would be held at the AT&T Center, not the Dome.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio