HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Nov 5, 2006, 6:23 PM
A Native New Yorker

Utterly amazing! Really interesting architecture. A shame they are abandoned. In many cities around the world, theyed be the crown jewels of the skyline. Any hope theyed be rescued?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2006, 6:40 PM
Reach for the Clouds

Abandoned skyscrapers.........now there is a term that captures the imagination! Excellent thread....very enjoyable.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2006, 2:31 AM

http://www.urbandecay.ca/

Oh this guy and his website. Maybe you should put credits in pics you use on your website that you have from threads posted here on SSP or from other people's websites. dtoronto I believe is the forumer, it is not really a big deal that you have pics I took on your website but for some reason it irks me to see my work saved to your server displayed on your website without any credit.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2006, 2:19 AM

Any images I have on my website I have asked permission for, and those that have asked for credit, I have added to the images. If you would prefer me to remove them, let me know which images they are and they will be removed. I dont want to "irk" you.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2006, 1:38 AM

Quote:
As for the graffiti artist hitting that high, they have balls. Only place i've seen that type of daredevil graffiti outside NYC.
yeah

I wonder if any of them have fallen before?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2006, 6:25 PM

Lightbulb fascinating

I too am enjoying this thread. Sao Paulo endlessly fascinates me; I do not think these buidlings are ugly either...I think they are riveting examples of humanity and vibrant urban life.

While it is truly disappointing to see how the government mismanages the city at the expense of its denizens, keep in mind that most large and beautiful cities were once places of disrepair, with squatters filling abandoned, condemned buildings.

As early as the late 1970's, conditions in parts of London and New York City were not too different from Sao Paulo. Only since the 1960's has Sao Paulo become truly industrialized, and despite its troubles, it is a city with a modern (albeit poorly executed) aesthetic and an authentically worldly feel unseen in most major cities.

Having spent time in countless cities, among them Miami, New York, and Los Angeles, I can say that no other city leaves me breathless the way Sao Paulo does.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2007, 2:21 AM

I'm the guy who took most of those photos

Hi there, I found this page thru a completely unrelated search for the Forume 1 Hotel in Sao Paulo.

STERNyc posted a lot photos from my blog and Flickr account.

I hope this won't be flagged down as spam but I'd like to post links to those pages as I have some additional pictures of Sao Paulo and some more explanation. Just by way of background, I lived in the city for six months during 2005, which is when I took most of these pictures.

Sao Paulo is indeed a fascinating place. A lot of these buildings are in the old centro. Since the 1970s it's experienced some pretty heavy decay as businesses have been moving out to Avenida Paulisa, and the areas along the Marinal Pinheiros like Vila Olimpia, Itaim and Avenida Berrini. When people ask me what Sao Paulo is like I often compare it to New York in the 1970s [altho i wasn't there to experience it].

It's an interesting question as to whether these buildings can be revitalized. They are not cast-iron warehouses with high ceilings and flooded with natural light. A lot of them are cheap concrete construction and so I wonder if we'll ever see a revitalization of Sao Paulo's centro as we've seen with other cities.

Anyway, here's the links:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2218513...7594062653512/
http://thomaslockehobbs.com/2005/banespa.html
http://thomaslockehobbs.com/2005_08_28_archive.html
http://thomaslockehobbs.com/2005_09_04_archive.html
http://thomaslockehobbs.com/2005_09_11_archive.html

Finally, I'd like to point out that the urbandecay site's intro page on Sao Paulo also uses one of my images.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2007, 3:01 AM
FUS RO DAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by volguus zildrohar View Post
Trantor, where you at dog?
Au, Au, rrrrrr

DO NOT FORGET TO SEE THIS SÃO PAULO THREAD!!! Some incredible panoramas from the other side of Paulista Avenue (Paulista Avenue highrises block the view from the south side to the north side of the city)
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=122981

Hello people.

Where should I begin?? Well, with the good news. The São Paulo city government is promoting a major revitalization of old downtown. Or at least trying to do so

Anyway, that very run down area around the São Vito building is one of the major points to be revitalized. And they will implode the São Vito and Mercurio buildings!!!

São Vito is the green one, Mercurio is the white one

Old Posted Jan 6, 2007, 3:25 AM
FUS RO DAH!

most of the buildings in decay are these ugly cheap modernist buildings. The real jewels in São Paulo, like its earliest "skyscrapers", Sampaio Moreira (1924) and Martinelli (1928), and also the famous Banespa (1947), tallest building outside USA when built.

Sampaio Moreira

Martinelli

Banespa

another one which I dont know the name, squizzed between two modern highrises...

Old Posted Jan 6, 2007, 3:57 AM
Pay it Forward

wow...very compelling pics.

Its amazing how these decrepit older buildings are often times next door to sleek and sexy highrises-life in Sao Paulo.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrT View Post
The usual suspect in this type of "bombed out" urban decay is rent control by the government or municipality and restrictions on eviction. The building owners then cannot afford to maintain the building or pay the property taxes. In some cases it is more profitable to burn the building and collect the insurance than to continue to operate it. These buildings are not "obsolete" because they were built in the 60's and 70's. That is absurd to say.

Yep, rent control, phoney "tenant rights", high taxes as shown in the above squatter occupied building and also state funding of misguided urban renewal and.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 12:34 PM

You're right! This building is so LA!

It would fit so perfectly in Westwood along Wilshire Blvd.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 1:23 PM
BANNED

Arrow I am from Sao Paulo

Well, as I was born in Sao Paulo and lived there for more than 25 years, I know the problems of that buildings. Most of them were conflicts in justice, which justice and law in Brazil does not work. The processes stay for years and nothing is done. So, many problems of descedents properties, cases of bankroupcy the company that is constructing the bldg, people who buy them in plant do not have money to finish the complete complex. So many residential bldgs stay longer time in standby and as the process do not go further in justice, they became abandoned and then invasions come.
As Sao Paulo is one of the biggest jungle of concrete, not harmonie with people, the politicians do not care about the cities, population is alone and only the business and money counts on, they still construct a lot for companies and do not see the problem at all. There is no plan, big plans like in the past to revitalize the city, although the politicians still steal money from the government taxes. So population and everyone stay alone in the middle of the jungle of aliens, where the criminality comes very high and then the language of graffitis of criminality.

The Building of Eletropaulo was problems of privatization where the companies did not want to continue the construction, because it was made with the money of population and a big debit was there, the companies did not want to take as they would go in bankroupcy. So the structure in Marginal Pinheiros very high continues to be an impass between government and privatization in justice.

In my oppinion many bldgs in Sao Paulo, as the concrete and project made was very cheap and has a ocean of bldgs, many of these old ones should be just imploded giving more space to big areas as urbanistic rooms with parks and spreading the city. So, Sao Paulo should be the biggest implosion city in world in some years. The complete city should be reviewed. That's is my oppinion. Unfortunatly there is none Hitler (the positive side) or strong men in Brazil to keep that in hands and doing a strong reform in that city.

This is the result of not caring way of politicians and institutions in Brazil.

It is sad seeing that bldgs how they are today. Space should be brought to bring more oxygen in city. So, that shit buildings should be imploded and the city reviewed. This is the advantage in US, they do that, but in South America, a review in complete complexity in city would never happens.

Last edited by M.K.; Jan 25, 2007 at 1:29 PM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 4:29 AM

It amazes me that they haven't been torn down. Looking at these buildings is like a glimpse from some post-apocalyptic dream....

Old Posted Jan 27, 2007, 2:49 AM
Old Fart Forumer

@ thomashobbs, amazing pics. Thanks for letting us get a look at a side of Sao Paulo we don't often see. Those abandoned talls in SP look even sadder than the ones in Detroit. There's still a certain dignity to the Detroit scrapers, which seems to be missing in the Sao Paulo ones. Glad you stumbled onto SSP, and hope to see other pics you've taken. Welcome.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 2:50 PM
=)

amazing!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 3:59 PM
Crane Goddess

wow..these abandoned skyscrapers are heartbreaking in so many ways..
I'm doing writing now- sci-fi stuff on living skyscrapers. Imagine the personalities of these towers? Abandonment is viewed as a worse fate then demolition, with its neglect and slow decay. Perhaps many of these abandoned towers might grow to hate and resent the humans who built them, then abandoned them, a sad inversion of the normally proud and benevolent skyscraper personality. Their hearts would be broken by what they view as a betrayal by their creators, and to some extent, their psyches would follow.

I sense some juicy story material here...
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 10:32 PM

Wow, really fascinating, Stenyc - thanks for posting.

@thomashobbs: Great pics!! Thanks for the links to your sites.

BTW, I think this building is really cool. I love how this facade makes it look like it has three times more floors (pic by Thomas Hobbs again!):

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 10:57 PM
BANNED

Olga, if you like the Edifício Sao Vito architecture, then you would like also the Copan one that has also that horizontal rips making the floor appearance to be double. I really not like both, as are decript ones. The curve architecture of Copan is quite interesting and different one that makes a postcard of Sao Paulo.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 11:07 PM
FUS RO DAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkmillenium View Post
Olga, if you like the Edifício Sao Vito architecture, then you would like also the Copan one that has also that horizontal rips making the floor appearance to be double. I really not like both, as are decript ones. The curve architecture of Copan is quite interesting and different one that makes a postcard of Sao Paulo.

there is a new building in São Paulo that looks like a modern version of the Copan

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture