HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 12:38 PM

The Long Plains Band is hiring a new CEO and team to oversee the 'Treaty One Development Corporation' that is tasked with developing 160 acres of the Kapyong Barracks.

The CEO will follow directions from a board -- likely made up of the seven Treaty 1 Chiefs.

More:

https://www.lpband.ca/professional-e...t-corporation/

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 10:38 PM
BANNED

So I guess the bland, boring design is full steam ahead.

Yay.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
So I guess the bland, boring design is full steam ahead.

Yay.
No one actually said. Consultations for the design still need to go through the other communities before they are accepted.

A development of a board, an appointed CEO and their team is progress that the internal consultations will be sped up by having regular board meetings rather than individual meetings between communities.

The discussion at the board level will fully determine the design as the current proposed one was stated it was never the final design in any aspect whatsoever.

The creation of this team tasked with developing this property is a signal that the design is no longer in the hands of a single Chief and instead part of a larger, more hearty discussion to make these decisions.

The CEO will likely provide a plethora of proposals after receiving input from the board (the Chiefs) and present more concrete solutions.

But first, they must hire one.

No need to jump the gun here.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 8:37 PM

Old Posted Jun 23, 2019, 5:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndoftheBeginning View Post
A convention centre? Do they really want to get into that death-spiral, money-pit business?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
A convention centre? Do they really want to get into that death-spiral, money-pit business?
Maybe they are hoping to pick up a lot of native organization meetings that held at other venues in Winnipeg and elsewhere.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2019, 2:23 PM
There is always a way

Do I count 4 new kenaston access points?
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jun 23, 2019, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
@JoshGiesbrecht1: First official public rendering of Kapyong. So excited that this is becoming a reality. This will be the largest urban reserve in Canadian and international history. Note everything in the rendering is still fluid
No improvements over the initial rendering in November.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2019, 4:31 PM

I wouldn't read too much into the specifics at this point. Much of it appears to be general concepts that have worked elsewhere and may or may not work here.

e.g. Membertou in Sydney, Nova Scotia has done well with a convention facility and attached hotel, likely the only suburban style Hampton Inn attached by a skywalk to anything.

However, there really isn't much competition for that type of space in Sydney beyond some meeting rooms in the hockey arena. In Winnipeg, there is one of the largest convention centres in Canada with numerous hotels (Fairmont, Delta, Hiton, etc.) having significant space as well. If a business case shows a convention centre should still be successful despite the competition, then it should be considered.

Still more to come before specific decisions get made...

Old Posted Jun 23, 2019, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Do I count 4 new kenaston access points?
Hard to say but the vibe I'm getting is that white line is a service road and you need to access it from Grant or Taylor. Hopefully no more accesses, or maybe just a RIRO

Old Posted Jun 23, 2019, 9:18 PM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
No improvements over the initial rendering in November.
It appears to be the same layout - but this 'new' rendering is somehow less detailed...

Also, I dove by there recently and I'm seeing zero activity? The "Phase 1" area has been mostly demolished but all the "Aboriginal Smashers" signs are long gone and the original buildings foundations appear to still be in place. All of the other area ("Canada Lands" I guess...) still has the decaying military buildings.

Is anything going to actually be built here? It took them decades of legal battles to get that land, you would think SOMETHING would have gone up by now?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Maybe they are hoping to pick up a lot of native indigenous organization meetings that held at other venues in Winnipeg and elsewhere.
Cliff basically nails it there.

I know on the union side of things when you are booking events unless there is no other choice you need to be in a union operated facility.

I would imagine that the members of the First Nations Development group will all be requiring their Winnipeg based meetings on held on treaty land. They will likely also be pushing for the the larger organizations to pass motions that when possible meetings are held on treaty land (aka they are the first choice).

It is a pretty smart angle to play to take away business from other places and keep the revenue inside the indigenous economy.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglez View Post
It appears to be the same layout - but this 'new' rendering is somehow less detailed...

Also, I dove by there recently and I'm seeing zero activity? The "Phase 1" area has been mostly demolished but all the "Aboriginal Smashers" signs are long gone and the original buildings foundations appear to still be in place. All of the other area ("Canada Lands" I guess...) still has the decaying military buildings.

Is anything going to actually be built here? It took them decades of legal battles to get that land, you would think SOMETHING would have gone up by now?
Have all the participating First Nations come to an agreement among themselves yet? I thought they were still ironing things out. Could be a while.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 1:16 AM

Higher res image of the proposed development.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 5:09 PM

News today agreements have been officially signed handing over the land to the Treaty 1 nations.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Treaty 1 First Nations complete 'truly remarkable' deal to acquire Kapyong site
By: Tessa Vanderhart
Posted: 08/30/2019 1:17 PM

After 17 years of negotiations and legal battles, Treaty 1 First Nations signed a "huge" settlement agreement Friday to buy the former Kapyong barracks from the federal government.

"It’s a very, very beautiful day, historically, to be here with you," said Long Plain Chief Dennis Meeches, speaking on behalf of the seven Treaty 1 members.

Meeches has been involved from the beginning, even before the Canadian military base in southwest Winnipeg was vacated in 2004 — including an eight-year court battle with Ottawa that Treaty 1 First Nations ultimately won.

"This is huge — nobody really understands how huge this is," he said. "I’ve never seen this type of investment, this type of reconciliation… This is truly remarkable, what we’ve been able to achieve."

Treaty 1 First Nations will receive 68 per cent of the 160-acre site on Kenaston Boulevard.

Ottawa’s 50-acre allotment will be handed over to the Canada Lands Co., the Crown corporation specializing in real estate development.

"From the first day, I really believed we would come upon this day," said Meeches. "I knew it would take a long time… I really in my heart believed we would get this deal done."

The chief said it was important the Treaty 1 members came together as one to pursue the land. The final deal follows an agreement in principle signed in April by Brokenhead Ojibway, Sagkeeng, Long Plain, Peguis, Roseau River Anishinabe, Sandy Bay and Swan Lake.

Meeches said he heard criticism from his own people about how long the deal was taking, how much was spent in legal fees — which he pegs in the millions of dollars.

"I think the deal is very good for Treaty 1, obviously," Meeches said. "We’ll be able to recover that money in a short (period) of time."

The amount of money changing hands in the deal is not being released. Meeches said he'd support the release of the full agreement, but that wasn’t possible Friday. Officials couldn't say why.

However, the decade-plus wait isn’t over: a federal background document says it could be four or five years before the land transfer is complete.

The goal is to convert the 110-acre parcel into an urban reserve. Plans released late last year include a daycare, hotel, hospice and gas bar and sports facilities. Meeches hopes to have some buildings open for the 150th anniversary of the signing of Treaty 1: Aug. 3, 2021.

Potential delays could come from the City of Winnipeg, which is looking to widen Kenaston Boulevard.

"The important thing to remember it’s entrenched in the agreement, so, whether it takes one year, two years, four years or longer — I can sleep at night, knowing it is entrenched, it will be a reserve," Meeches said.

Demolition of former military buildings on the site began began in 2018, and could take up to two more years.

Under Treaty Land Entitlement, First Nations that were shortchanged in the land they were supposed to receive in treaties are able to acquire available federal land. Among other things, it gives First Nations first refusal to purchase any surplus land.

"It is an honour to join you to mark another milestone in the transfer of the Kapyong barrack lands," said Winnipeg South Centre MP Jim Carr, calling it another step in reconciliation. "This is a great day, for all Canadians, for all Manitobans, for all Winnipeggers."

There are currently 10 urban reserves in Manitoba, including two in Winnipeg: Peguis First Nation at 1075 Portage Ave., and Long Plain First Nation at 490 Madison St.

Swan Lake First Nation has an urban reserve just outside of city limits, in Headingley.

"I believe that our ancestors are smiling on us today," said Brokenhead Chief Deborah Smith. "Today signifies, for me, economic reconciliation."
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...558835432.html

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 10:27 PM

So it could be 20 years before this actually gets done from when the army left in 2004 just to widen Kenaston. Oy vey!

Old Posted Aug 31, 2019, 4:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
What would you expect? Govt. is always there to mop up business failures for First Nations businesses!~

Old Posted Aug 31, 2019, 4:07 PM
There is always a way

"The amount of money changing hands in the deal is not being released. Meeches said he'd support the release of the full agreement, but that wasn’t possible Friday. Officials couldn't say why."

My guess is that the release of that information would make for bad optics. Good thing that these sorts of things are subject to freedom of information requests right?
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Aug 31, 2019, 8:32 PM

Judging from the plan it looks as though there aren't any extra connections to Kenaston (thank goodness) but it looks like they connect to some sort of service road adjacent to Kenaston? Am I reading that right?

I think that adding bus-dedicated lanes to Kenaston when they widen it should be something to consider, if the city isn't going to make it a higher-speed arterial (read: freeway) with less lights.

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan