HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvATX View Post
Wow. It’s hard to keep up with all these projects. Is this one in capital corridor or west campus?
Capital Corridor (across Guadalupe from SXSW building which I am in)

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Wow. It’s hard to keep up with all these projects. Is this one in capital corridor or west campus?
It's in the now booming NW corner of downtown that will be filling in the area between WC and downtown.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
It's in the now booming NW corner of downtown that will be filling in the area between WC and downtown.
Does anyone know if west campus allows this height? Wasn’t it 200’limit last I heard.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know if west campus allows this height? Wasn’t it 200’limit last I heard.
The height for WC projects was recently increased to 300' (roof height) from 175'. But there have not yet been any projects proposed with the new height limit.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 2:31 AM
Voice of the Modern World

The Linden

Quote:
The new tower will be located at 313 West 17th Street, between Lavaca and Guadalupe streets, where it will replace the current Gammon Insurance Company building and a surface parking lot.

The 300,000-squaree-foot building will be christened The Linden, a nod to Linden Street, West 17th Street’s original name. It will be neighbors with longtime local restaurant The Clay Pit and across the street from the new Travis County courthouse, currently under construction.

Designed by Rhode, the Austin-based architectural and design firm behind the Independent, the Catherine, and other notable Austin buildings, the Linden will be a 28-story condominium tower. It will feature 117 luxury residences, ranging from one- to three-bedroom units, and will feature two-story penthouses curated by Rhode. There will also be nine floors of parking below the residences.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/austin....n-tower-linden

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 3:12 AM

three words: parking. garage. screen.

Ugh

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 3:44 AM

If they price them right, they will fly off the shelves. If they try to get 90% of downtown prices, they won’t move.....at all.

I hope they price em right and sell out in a week.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 5:32 AM

This is basically dollar store 70 Rainey....

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 5:46 AM

From the beginning I got the impression that this was planned as an "affordable" downtown condo. Nothing wrong with that.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 5:56 AM

Here are the internal renderings from N90's link. The views will be nice:

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 7:52 AM

Very nice interiors. Dat reception desk *drool*

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 3:46 PM

Love love love the street interaction for that part of downtown. That will be a breath of fresh air.

I am really getting tired of Rhode and their budget "designs" though. Enough.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 4:44 PM

I like the interiors. Step in the right direction. The exterior is boring, but again, if they price them right...that won't matter. Downtown needs units that go for under $600/ft, this could fit that bill.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 6:08 PM

I find it interesting that "affordable" is seen at $600/sq/ft when median in Austin is currently $230! LOL. ( Just looked at Zillow... for what that's worth)
But yes we really need new properties in Downtown that are at this price point... it will make the area more affordable to a broader market which will be welcome.

As for design. It is a bit of a "New Modern generic". The lobby and interiors work. Nicely done yet adaptable.

FYI. "Linden" is noted as being the original name of 17th street. Note that all downtown trees were named after Trees.
NOTE:
As depicted on Austin Street Map 1872 P. De Cordova— http://www.tsl.state.tx.us/arc/maps/images/map0929b.jpg
Willow (still named)
1st -- Water (Ceasar Chavez)
2nd -- Live Oak
3rd --Cypress
4th -- Cedar
5th -- Pine
6th -- Pecan
7th -- Bois de Arc
8th -- Hickory
9th -- Ash
10th -- Mulberry
11th -- Mosquite [sic]
12th -- College Ave.
13th -- Peach
14th -- Walnut
15th -- North Ave.
16th -- Cherry
17th -- Linden
18th -- Chestnut
19th -- Magnolia Ave. (MLK)
According to the Austin History Center, the names of the downtown numbered streets were changed from their original tree names in 1897 or 1898. However, as depicted on one 1890 map, they are shown with alternative names of trees and numbers. http://www.tsl.state.tx.us/arc/maps/images/map0926e.jpg
From Austin City Directory 1885-86 map by Rueben W. Ford-- http://www.tsl.state.tx.us/arc/maps/images/map2283.jpg
This map depicts streets farther North than the earlier map.
21st -- Elm
22nd -- Palmetto
24th -- Orange
W. 26th – Maple
E. 261/2 -- Apple
27th -- Laurel
29th – Sycamore

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...#ixzz6B1tHZGex

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 7:02 PM

Where is everyone getting info that this will be a more "affordable" condo tower?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
Where is everyone getting info that this will be a more "affordable" condo tower?
I'm just saying "it should be", since it's not REALLY downtown. When people want a condo downtown, location is important. This is in uncharted territory, north of 15th.

I hope more affordable units spring up all over this area, but from my experience, most people who want a condo downtown will pass on this...unless it is too good of a deal to pass up.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
I'm just saying "it should be", since it's not REALLY downtown. When people want a condo downtown, location is important. This is in uncharted territory, north of 15th.

I hope more affordable units spring up all over this area, but from my experience, most people who want a condo downtown will pass on this...unless it is too good of a deal to pass up.
I definitely consider this area to be downtown, although it's certainly not where all the nice new expensive condos have been built. But there are a few condo/apartment towers in this area (Cambridge, Westgate, Greenwood) although those are all pretty old.

I'm betting these will be on par with Seaholm, or one of the older Rainey towers.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
I definitely consider this area to be downtown,
I respectfully disagree. As this area becomes developed, I predict it will not be called/considered 'downtown'...more 'uptown' or 'mid-town', or whatever. It is very disconnected from the walk-ability of downtown. I think eventually this neighborhood will grow to have it's own sense of place (much like West Campus does) in the next 15 years, that's if this is the beginning of a trend.....and I truly hope it is.

I've brokered dozens of condos downtown and NEVER has anyone wanted to live in Westgate, Cambridge, Penthouse.....no mater the price or condition, and I've showed them all over the years......no takers...they were outliers. Shit, even the Nokonah was a tough sell for my buyers. Even when the price was WAY lower, they still would rather be in the mix...so to speak.

The Linden has it's work cut out for it if they plan to price like 70 Rainey/West/etc. People will not pay top dollar to live that far away.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
I respectfully disagree. As this area becomes developed, I predict it will not be called/considered 'downtown'...more 'uptown' or 'mid-town', or whatever. It is very disconnected from the walk-ability of downtown. I think eventually this neighborhood will grow to have it's own sense of place (much like West Campus does) in the next 15 years, that's if this is the beginning of a trend.....and I truly hope it is.

I've brokered dozens of condos downtown and NEVER has anyone wanted to live in Westgate, Cambridge, Penthouse.....no mater the price or condition, and I've showed them all over the years......no takers...they were outliers. Shit, even the Nokonah was a tough sell for my buyers. Even when the price was WAY lower, they still would rather be in the mix...so to speak.

The Linden has it's work cut out for it if they plan to price like 70 Rainey/West/etc. People will not pay top dollar to live that far away.
The problem with that part of downtown (I'm holding onto this designation ) is it's so *dead* - there's not much in terms of retail or resaurants or other stuff to generate pedestrian activity right now. I agree with you that it's disconnected from the other half of downtown because of the capitol but I still feel it's very much part of downtown in relation to the rest of the city.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 8:52 PM

Here's a good view of that screen covered podium. At least one side will be covered up by the Hilton Garden Inn.

https://www.thelinden.com/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin